6.5 Creedmoor or 25-06 for Deer

Dirt_Nap

I'm looking to build a custom deer/antelope hunting rifle. I can't decide which caliber I want to go with and I'm looking for suggestions. I will be reloading for ammo. I want a lightweight rifle so I'm trying to keep the barrel length in check. Thanks for the help

.25-06 AI pushing Berger 115 VLD's is deer/lope magic.

Most people will probably vote the other way because they think the .25-06 is "old school", but don't let that fool you. The .25-06 AI is only rivaled by the .257 Wby, and they are less than 100 FPS apart in performance. Inside of 600 yards, the .25 calibers are hammers...Until someone finally makes some heavy .257 bullets in the 130-140 grain range, that would allow us to shoot game up to 1,000 or so. I'm really hoping Berger will make a .257 140 Elite Hunter someday, as that would really be one awesome bullet in a .25-06 AI.

The 25-06 is only old school if you stay with the 10" twist that holds it back. In order to stay with the 6.5 cal it needs a 7" twist to be rwlative to the 8" twist of the 6.5 cal. If you arw going to stay with standard twist rates thwn the 6.5 is most defiantly the better performer.

Steve

I like the 6.5 caliber over 25 caliber. Just because of the amount of different bullets available in hunting to match grade. Also the wide range of bullet weight that the 6.5 comes in is a big plus with me. The 6.5 also has alot bullets with a high bc.

The 25-06 is only old school if you stay with the 10" twist that holds it back. In order to stay with the 6.5 cal it needs a 7" twist to be rwlative to the 8" twist of the 6.5 cal. If you arw going to stay with standard twist rates thwn the 6.5 is most defiantly the better performer.

Steve
Are 25 caliber bullets available that need a 7 or 8 twist? Seems like the heaviest bullets are in the 115 to 120 range, you don't need a 7 twist for those. If you could get a 140 or 150 grain 25 caliber I'm sure you would need a 7 or 8 twist.

Are 25 caliber bullets available that need a 7 or 8 twist? Seems like the heaviest bullets are in the 115 to 120 range, you don't need a 7 twist for those. If you could get a 140 or 150 grain 25 caliber I'm sure you would need a 7 or 8 twist.
This is why they can not contend with the 6.5.

We offer a 7 twist bullet.

Steve

I have a 257wby and a 6.5 creedmoor. Both shoot very well...I'd go with the 6.5 for myself. If your max is 400-500 yds the 25-06 is fine, but when it's windy, you can notice the difference. I've shot a lot of deer with my 257, but I'll be taking my 6.5 creed in the future. It's not popularity or cool. When I'm wandering around by myself hunting doesn't matter what I'm carrying, fact is I can make 1st round hits and stay on target in windy conditions better with the 6.5. But if I was buying a deer rifle I would go with a 6.5x284 or something(6.5prc, 6.5-06, 260ai) that can push a 140 closer to 3k than the creed. If you don't reload then go with the creed.

I don't have the background on a creed but theres a lot of info here..been loading for 260 Remington for years..nice caliber..tough to beat for bullet choices... I have a Remington mountain rifle in 2506(noodle barrel)it is a shooter....but it does lack in bullet weights....
Have the the same rifle in a rechambered 280ai....it will shoot also...
For better bullet selections I would go 280....and there just happens to be one for sell on the site right now...if I had the funds it would be coming this way already...I find that rifle very nice for packing and shooting...some people float the barrels..but I did some background and bedding the front of the stocks made a huge difference.....
So for bullet choices .257 is lacking...

I own a custom 6.5 creed and a .257 Roy. Both are fantastic. If it's your go to the .25 I feel is better it's much faster and that makes it flatter. I only have roughly 30" drop at 500 yards with my .25 and it's 50 " ish with my creed so it's much easier to hold over on the .25. If using turrets all the time than it doesn't matter but I've had times when I had no time to turn turrets and was able to hold over with my .25 easy and drop animals. Plus nothing hits a deer under 300 yards like a very fast .25. They are always bang flop. Even the hog I shot last year at 596 yards with my .25 flopped right over. That being said I use my 6.5 more now as it is much lighter and shorter

I own a custom 6.5 creed and a .257 Roy. Both are fantastic. If it's your go to the .25 I feel is better it's much faster and that makes it flatter. I only have roughly 30" drop at 500 yards with my .25 and it's 50 " ish with my creed so it's much easier to hold over on the .25. If using turrets all the time than it doesn't matter but I've had times when I had no time to turn turrets and was able to hold over with my .25 easy and drop animals. Plus nothing hits a deer under 300 yards like a very fast .25. They are always bang flop. Even the hog I shot last year at 596 yards with my .25 flopped right over. That being said I use my 6.5 more now as it is much lighter and shorter
If you are getting a 20" difference at 500 yards, I don't think you have made an apples to apples comparison.

I have 25-06 and 6.5-06, If you will be shooting 600 yds and under its kind of a wash both are great. Past 600 the heavier bullets in the 6.5 really take over so all depends on your intended use.

Well my .257 shooting the heaviest I can 115gr and the 147 eldm out of the creed. So yes it's not the same but you really can't with these two. My 115 goes 3450fps you can get a 6.5 to that speed even that light. But even using 125 the 257 has much better drop than the 6.5. Just a lot more powder behind it. And bc doesn't start really shining till after 500 ish.
It really comes down to more of how far he will be shooting and how he is hunting cause the creed can use a much shorter barrel and not lose the fps. But if stand hunting and or a 26" barrel doesn't bother him the .25 Simply amazing.