Factory Bullet Recommendations for 6.5 Creedmoor

Let's get this thread back on track to the OP's question.

Nosler Accubond 140 grain
Berger EOL Elite Hunter 156 grain
Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter 143 grain

If those are the only bullets you are considering, I would go with the 143 ELD-X. It has been very consistent for me out of both the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 PRC and you can find it in factory ammo. It will wreck some meat at shots under 300 yards but I've never lost a deer with them. I used the Hornady Precision Ammo last year with my CM and dropped an 8 point in his tracks at 260 yards.

I currently shoot the 156 EOLs out of my PRC but I also have a 1:7.5tw barrel. I was not able to get acceptable performance out of a 1:8tw in my PRC and you will get less velocity out of a CM which will exacerbate the stability issue. It might work with your barrel and altitude but it did not for me.

Personally I think the Accubond is not needed for medium sized game and I've had issues tuning them in my rifles.

If you are open to other bullets, the sky's the limit. Bergers are my favorite brand due to their accuracy and lethality. I accept that there will be meat damage but I've never had to track any animal further than 40 yards. I'll trade less meat for not finding an animal any day. Out of the CM I would try the 130 OTM, 135 Classic Hunter, 140 VLD, 140 Elite Hunter and the 144 Hybrid. I've had good success with them all. I think the 130 OTM and 135 Classic Hunter would be the best and they are easy to tune.

I've also used Sierra 130 TMKs, ELD-Ms, SSTs, Core-Lokts and tipped Core-Lokts (I honestly think these are SSTs) on stuff from ground hogs to deer. I don't have any experience with all copper bullets yet.

The 1500ftlbs thing is basically fuddlore at this point unless you're still using 50 year old bullet technology, it really isn't applicable to modern bullet designs at all. There's some good info on this stuff out there from ballisticians that know way more than random people on the internet. Hornady has some really good podcasts that touch on this and what actually kills.

The same Hornady that turned out abysmal 7 PRC brass and told everyone it's good to go?

If so, I am out, I will err on the side of caution.

The 127gr LRX, Berger 156gr EOLs and the Nosler Accubond all group well enough for me to take them out as far as I would feel comfortable, past bullet performance puts me in the sub 500yd range. After that I am switching to either a 280 Ackley or 6.5 PRC, but it still won't be much of an increase in distance. I just don't trust myself beyond those ranges.

That's why I clearly noted it is "my" unwritten rule. No where did I try to convince anyone to do the same.
I have the same unwritten rule.
1800fps for cup/core, or 2000fps for monos.
1000ft/lbs for deer and down. 1500ft/lbs for elk-sized game.

Might be "Fuddlore", but...I have never (knock on wood) lost an animal when these numbers dictate my shot's max range.

Except coyotes...I would shoot at them from Phoenix to Tucson if I could see them in the scope.

To recap;

'Match bullets create too much damage.'
and,
'Match bullets aren't suitable for hunting. Per the box.'
😂

Too much damage can be mitigated by reducing caliber. Big magnums aren't as popular these days, .224-264 bullets are quite popular these days, because we have better bullets. And energy doesn't matter. 224-264 bullets are quite popular these days

Many "match" bullets were designed for hunting. Humans. In war. And they're good at it.
They are designed to rapidly expand. Why would someone need that for punching paper? 🤔

I don't care what the recommended guidelines are if a product flat out works.
ELDMs are stacking bodies like cord wood.

Last edited:
Just purchased my first 6.5, would love to hear what factory loads others have found best.....
What I have found by luck when I was looking for some cheap factory ammo to break in my rifles- Sellier & Bellot Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor 140gr Rifle and 140gr SP Rifle Ammo shot through the same hole on my HMR Bergara, and 0.5 MOA on my AR10, consistently. Price now is almost double from when I got my Creedmoors about 5 years ago, used for break in and to teach my daughter on the Bergara. This was multiple boxes and multiple lots of ammo. Should have bought more of these Sellier & Bellot 140gr SP Rifle Ammo for my AR10, but was buying other brands to try them.

I have also had very good luck with Hornady Precision Hunter 143grn ELD-X and Federal Fusion 140 grn for hunting. The Hornady Precision hunter also shot through the same hole in the Bergara, Federal Fusion 6.5 Creedmoor 140gr Bonded Soft Point Rifle Ammo was about 0.5-0.7 MOA groups in the AR10, again multiple boxes multiple lots, very consistent. The 120-129 grain factory ammo did not group very well in my AR10 tried multiple brands none were under an MOA and were typically running 1.5 to 3.0 MOA, but that was before I got an adjustable gas block, (probably need to re-shoot these). Everything I shot through the Bergara grouped under an inch 120-147grn 10 other different types of boxed factory ammo, federal, hornady, browning and Nosler brands. I haven't started to reload yet in 6.5 Creedmoor due to the factory ammo grouping so well. If you are running 1:8 twist rate- target bullets between 135-147grn and you probably will run tighter groups. Hope that helps.

I should note I wanted to try Hornady Varmint Express 6.5 Creedmoor 95gr V-Max Polymer Tip Rifle Ammo for antelope but have not been able to lay my hands on any to see how this ammo would group.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had some good bullet recommendations for 6.5 creedmoor? I am going to start to use a rifle in that caliber to hunt with and don't have a ton of experience with that caliber. The main three options that I am looking at right now are:

Nosler Accubond 140 grain
Berger EOL Elite Hunter 156 grain
Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter 143 grain

I have shot both the accubond's and ELD-X's in different calibers, though I have had more experience with accubonds and have been pleased with the results they have given me. I would be mainly hunting pronghorn, sheep/goats, and mule deer with this rifle. And maybe even elk at some point but the other species are the main targets for this rifle setup. Please let me know what you think and if you have a completely different choice of bullet, please share that as well. Any and all info is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!
Using factory ammo, Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter 143 grain shot through the same hole on my Bergara multiple boxes and lots worked well on White tail. The Nosler Accubond 140grain was under 0.5 MOA on my Bergara and have not used this for hunting yet. I have not shot the Berger.

So, your Berger bullets run out of velocity at the same distance??? Possible if you load to tailor it that way. What about energy then or are you just about velocity?
Mme did not Berger but Hornady 147eld. I pushed those just as hard as my hammers. They did add about 30 yards to my max distance based on fps. Energy I never worry about to much because that all depends on pass through. I got full pass through right behind the shoulder on two elk this year at max distance min fps. So not all my energy was dumped into it.

Mme did not Berger but Hornady 147eld. I pushed those just as hard as my hammers. They did add about 30 yards to my max distance based on fps. Energy I never worry about to much because that all depends on pass through. I got full pass through right behind the shoulder on two elk this year at max distance min fps. So not all my energy was dumped into it.
What min velocity on those hammers?

I did 1800. Which is what most are. But the new hht I think is 1600
Did you use 1600 for the ELDs?

Most of the info I've ever run across, monos require more fps for expansion, and lose velocity faster. I'm surprised you got more effective max range with them.

Last edited:

Most of the info I've ever run across, monos require more fps for expansion, and lose velocity faster. I'm surprised you got more effective max range with them.
No I got slightly less. 30 yards less with the hammers than the eld. I used whatever they stayed for min. Mine was so close it didn't matter if the bc was better was all. I start the hammers so much faster so they are much flatter at most distances. I still have some Hornady as backup. But I can say even if I gained another 100 yards I would probably not switch back. At most hunting distance of 200 yards they were not giving nearly the consistent great performance. Was digging out less than ideal bullets out of African game.
They shot very well though.

Keep in mind that's my rifle. I have a short barrel on mine. And am able to drive the hammer well north of 3100fps with a fast powder. Now use a 26" barrel and some slower rl26 you will extend the speed and range of that big heavy for sure. Unless you listen to some that think it's impossible without crazy pressure. But most factory 6.( creeds come with 22/24"