Factory Bullet Recommendations for 6.5 Creedmoor

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had some good bullet recommendations for 6.5 creedmoor? I am going to start to use a rifle in that caliber to hunt with and don't have a ton of experience with that caliber. The main three options that I am looking at right now are:

Nosler Accubond 140 grain
Berger EOL Elite Hunter 156 grain
Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter 143 grain

I have shot both the accubond's and ELD-X's in different calibers, though I have had more experience with accubonds and have been pleased with the results they have given me. I would be mainly hunting pronghorn, sheep/goats, and mule deer with this rifle. And maybe even elk at some point but the other species are the main targets for this rifle setup. Please let me know what you think and if you have a completely different choice of bullet, please share that as well. Any and all info is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

I also used the eldx a fair amount before I made the switch. Those worked good for deer but left a lot to be desired when it came to larger tougher game like oryx and elk. Also check out cutting edge bullets. Think they load the maxima in 6.5 creedmore. They would be my second choice.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had some good bullet recommendations for 6.5 creedmoor? I am going to start to use a rifle in that caliber to hunt with and don't have a ton of experience with that caliber. The main three options that I am looking at right now are:

I have shot both the accubond's and ELD-X's in different calibers, though I have had more experience with accubonds and have been pleased with the results they have given me. I would be mainly hunting pronghorn, sheep/goats, and mule deer with this rifle. And maybe even elk at some point but the other species are the main targets for this rifle setup. Please let me know what you think and if you have a completely different choice of bullet, please share that as well. Any and all info is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!
Berger bullets are my go-to bullets, but the 156 might be too heavy to take full advantage of what it is designed for in 6.5 CM. I am not saying you cannot use it, but I would use the 130, 135, or 140 instead. Please understand that the Berger bullets are designed as fragmenting bullets.

Whichever bullet choice you choose, know its limitations at POI for the game you will hunt.

Last edited:
Hello,

Info needed......for what animals and to what ranges on a consistent basis?

Use whatever shoots we'll in your rifle. No need for a break in on barrels, that's BS! If it's a shooter it's a shooter. As for hunting ammo. I'm a Berger fan, if you want more speed out of the 6.5 Creedmoor, go with 130 class bullets. Most are 140-143 gr for hunting. I'm running 140 VLD's , it's a tack driver, I load my own though

Between those I'd use the ELD-X, they are very well made consistent bullets and I've yet to have a lot of that ammo that didn't shoot well or to have a 6.5 that didn't like it.

I'll second the deer season XP too for deee species, it's a great performing bullet and also has been very accurate ammo for me. I wouldn't use it on an elk though, it's pretty frangible. I probably also wouldn't use it for extended distances because it's not the absolute most consistent although it's ok for factory ammo, I've seen around 40fps ES on average. It's absolutely fine for shots out to 400 yards or so. I've shot it as far as 800 yards on steel and made hits but it was definitely opening up pretty significantly beyond 500 or so to the point I wouldn't trust it to make a clean shot on an animal. Really any of the standard core lokt, power shock, PowerPoint, etc will work fine out to 300-400 yards or so as long as it shoots 1MOAish in your rifle.