Before I sell this gun...

59-60grn of H4831 in winchester brass with a 215 toped off with a 130 ballistic tip or gameking. My coal is 3.45.
The white box winchester 130 power points are set up for the sammi chamber. Take one and adjust your seater to just touch the tip. That will get you close enough to fine tune the seating.
That has been my accuracy load for 40 years. I use it as a baseline for every 270 I shoot. Some new guns are much shorter throats but the 130 powerpoint will be tough to close the bolt also.
Things to check. Make sure that the bolt closes completely without touching the stock. Barrel channel interference. Make sure that your floorplate is not jamming the magazine into the receiver. Check with another scope you never know when they go tits up

Last edited:
When we first got some for bullet testing I was shocked at how the ugly cheep guns shoot. I would unload it and wouldn't be afraid to get another. We've had $2000 factory rifles that shoot like crap. That sucks. Get a Sendero that needs $100's to bed and make correct in order to shoot. You still haven't gone to wrong at this point.

Steve

I have a ruger 270.. 130 grain sst in the superformance shoots 3200 fps for me and is .3 moa.. it holds good out to 800, I haven't shot it past that.. I replicated there ammo exactly with superformance powder and sst it still shoots great reloaded and not factory.. I would try some before you send it back to be looked at.. If this doesn't work something else is wrong.. These guys have given some good suggestions for you. I would definitely clean it well and maybe borescope it before talking with the Ruger boys. There is always a chance you just got the occasional lemon but, I have had several Ruger and they all shot well.. Definitely make sure the barrel channel isn't rubbing somewhere. Ruger is notorious for not being free floated the best. Good luck.

smelling like you have a possibility of a few different things going on... I'd first go through the rifle to make sure things are tight (my son's ra in 6.5 creed likes to loosen up and does so every 100 rounds or so; I just shaved a thread off the rear action screw to stop this crap the other day)…
I'd swap scopes to make sure it hasn't loosened up...
I'd also get away from boat tail bullets for a minute on this rifle; some mass produced rifles don't like boat tail bullets (my a-bolt 300win is one- so is my dad's remmy 7stw) and need to shoot flat based pills like the sierra pro hunter... most of this is a bit oversized bore and groove; it would also explain why your vel. is a bit down and it doesn't like a mono like the Barnes...
something like the sierra 130gr pro hunter, rl22 or 4831 and a mag primer in good brass with a snugged up rifle with a good scope will shoot, or you may as well dump the rifle...

Maybe this is what's got me so frustrated... I've heard/read this again and again. And I know these folks aren't pulling my leg!

It's no joke. I shoot a lot of benchrest and at a local factory lightgun match the ruger emerican in 6 creedmore actually has 2 of the top 5 places most of the time. And often enough one of those guns will will win the class at that meet. It's 200 to 600 meters and I was shocked that those guns are shooting almost as good as my Stiller 6 br at those ranges. Granted I don't know what group they will put on paper but out to 600 meters they do well on Small steel plates.

I have reliable people tell me they have good one's, so I believe, but the .30-06 that passed through here wasn't one of those.

One way to go is dump it at a bit of a loss, and replace it. My theory on buying inexpensive guns, is they are pretty much disposable. I won't invest time, money or energy making them work. At this point you could have more invested in ammo than you spent on the rifle, and you can't load your way out of this. It's not going to come together that way.

The second is start from scratch with all the major components: The stock is the most likely culprit, if it's not the entire problem it will be a piece of it. I didn't see where you've tried another proven scope.

Check the left side of forearm. I am willing to bet it is touching the barrel. We have had 4-5 of the RA and all has shot Sub Moa some we have did alittle work to there stocks and a couple we put in a Boyd's stock.

I have done very well with the Ruger Americans. Thinking you got a bummer. We've had about 8 of them and all so far have been sold sub moa shooters. I've been carrying one this year in 6 creed and it shoots sub 1" art 200y and had been sold sub moa out to 800y.

They have been as good or better that any other factory gun I have ever used.

Steve

That's just because your bullets are so dam easy to load for. Lol
Just did my first ladder with the 6.5 creed and every load was sub .5". Never had that happen before. Well done.

Back to subject. Like others said check stock to barrel clearance. Had a good friend bring me one in .243 just last year that did much like you are explaining. Turns out back about half way down the free float part of the stock it had some good tension on it. Took it apart and sanded it down to where it needed to be and went back to the range and shoots almost all his loads under moa at 100. Funny cause he tried to sell it to me first for $100 but I couldn't do that.

It could be that your particular rifle just shoots better with slower velocity. May not be what you want to hear, but some rifles are that way. I load only H4831, only because I have always gotten a load to shoot with it. My experiences with 270 is this:

2007-Rem 710 (first rifle I ever bought, and don't recommend).
Took a couple years, but finally have a load with 130 speer that is consistent sub minute at 200 yds. I put hundreds of rounds through it before it would shoot. But, found the right combo and it has been stacking for years now. It is slow 2850 fps. But it is extremely consistent.

2012-Weatherby vanguard 2. First group out of the gun was 0.25" with speer 130btsp. Got lucky there. It also shoots 110ttsx (3200fps) and 129 LRX (3004fps) lights out.

2016-Ruger M77 tang safety. Shoots federal blue box really well and don't even handload for it.

2018-Howa 1500. My thought was to just find some factory round that it liked and shoot it only for woods hunting. Problem. 9 different factory munitions were 2moa all day. I have never seen a rifle that wont shoot something. Put some 110 barnes ttsx over 4831 near the lands and its not stacking, but its consisten 1.0-1.2MOA with 5 shot groups. Not done with load devel, but definitely promising.

Some rifles are really easy, some are hard and finicky. In multiple rifles/calibers I have had good success doing seating depth tests with barnes lrx and ttsx. 0.010", 0.030", 0.050", 0.070" off the rifling. Usually one of those shoots well. Good luck.

That's just because your bullets are so dam easy to load for. Lol
Just did my first ladder with the 6.5 creed and every load was sub .5". Never had that happen before. Well done.

Back to subject. Like others said check stock to barrel clearance. Had a good friend bring me one in .243 just last year that did much like you are explaining. Turns out back about half way down the free float part of the stock it had some good tension on it. Took it apart and sanded it down to where it needed to be and went back to the range and shoots almost all his loads under moa at 100. Funny cause he tried to sell it to me first for $100 but I couldn't do that.
See, I don't exaggerate when I talk about how easy they are to load! Glad your load went so well.

Thanks for the shout out.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.