Has anyone seen this in Varget before?

My guess is cross contamination from powder left in a powder measure. If that was not the case, I'd definately contact Hogdon. I would not use it. I think that it would be a duplex load with an unknown powder.

Over the last few decades I've seem some pretty weird stuff mixed in with different powders. Oddball sized grains, too long, too short but this one is a gem! I think what I would do is just go thru it and pull out any of the large grains, they look easy enough to spot. However, if you're absolutely certain it's not a powder you own, then a call to Hodgdon would also be in order, they might want to see it and will likely cover all the expenses to replace it.

I don't suspect that one or two grains of the alien powder will have much effect on your loads but I think I would also like to chrono the powder & reference it to previous loads, if possible, just to make sure. I'm way to cheap to just toss it!
Cheers,
crkckr

I have one question for you that I have not read in the thread. Is there a possibility that the granule of powder that you found "could" have been left over from another powder and stuck in your powder measure?? I have seen this happen before at my own bench, I now blow my powder measure out with compressed air before I start with another powder. Sometimes static will hold more than a few granules of powder in the Chargemaster in the crooks and crannies. Just a thought that I had when I read the replies.

Good morning,
I poured the powder directly out of the container into a clean ceramic bowl. From there I was using a power dipper to place the powder on the scale. That is where I saw a couple of the larger grains. I am only pouring out a very small portion of powder at a time from the 8lb container into that ceramic bowl so it is easy to see all the gains.

There are just so few and far in between that it appears to be a manufacturing related issue to me. I have not seen any issues with the loaded rounds being fired and I have picked out the couple large grains.

I think I will send the image off to Hodgdon and see what they have to say. I hope Varget isn't going to go into short supply as I use that in numerous loads.

Thank you for the continued input.

Good morning,
I poured the powder directly out of the container into a clean ceramic bowl. From there I was using a power dipper to place the powder on the scale. That is where I saw a couple of the larger grains. I am only pouring out a very small portion of powder at a time from the 8lb container into that ceramic bowl so it is easy to see all the gains.

There are just so few and far in between that it appears to be a manufacturing related issue to me. I have not seen any issues with the loaded rounds being fired and I have picked out the couple large grains.

I think I will send the image off to Hodgdon and see what they have to say. I hope Varget isn't going to go into short supply as I use that in numerous loads.

Thank you for the continued input.

I think that contacting Hodgdon is a very smart idea. And......I wouldn't load "or" shoot any ammunition that has been reloaded by that batch of powder whatsoever!!! Just because you cannot see any consistencies, does not mean that there are not some other form/s of contaminate. Loads with a mixed combination of powders could cause a squib load or a catastrophic event to your rifle, injure yourself or someone standing close by; is the cost of that powder worth taking the chance!!????? Contact Hodgons and find out what they say. Thank you for the follow up post, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say about their powder.

I sent Hodgdon an email yesterday with the photo in this thread. They asked for a photo of the container which I sent along. Their response was they thought it looked like a kernel of BMG powder. They then asked for my address and said they would be sending out a replacement jug right away.

Well that was quick and easy. I wasn't expecting that. I should have asked where I could send some Retumbo while they are at it as I haven't seen any locally in 6 months.

I sent Hodgdon an email yesterday with the photo in this thread. They asked for a photo of the container which I sent along. Their response was they thought it looked like a kernel of BMG powder. They then asked for my address and said they would be sending out a replacement jug right away.

Well that was quick and easy. I wasn't expecting that. I should have asked where I could send some Retumbo while they are at it as I haven't seen any locally in 6 months.

Thank you for posting this information, and.....I am really glad that you did this instead of using it; good move. And it is nice to see a company taking care of it's customers.

Several years ago there was a similar issue with IMR 4064. I had 2 1 pound bottles of the same lot that had multiple different size sticks and logs and small flat disc kernels. This was corroborated by other forums. Apparently it was blended to attain a specific burn rate. Haven't seen it since. I used it for blasting ammo and it was fine with the usual charges.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.