10 things I wish I knew before I started reloading ...

Thanks for posting. I'm one of those members thinking about starting. I'm not sure which I have less of, time or money.
I'm curious to see, how experienced reloaders feel about starter kits. If you were only gonna reload a few diff calibers, would u buy the kit or purchase the equipment one by one??

I'm curious to see, how experienced reloaders feel about starter kits. If you were only gonna reload a few diff calibers, would u buy the kit or purchase the equipment one by one??
"If" you are OK with the components that come with it and you're going to use them, kits are not a bad deal.

All I can say is 'buy once, cry once'.
When I started, kits were not available and I worked in a gun shop and had the pick of what was on offer, but a colleague there had all the reloading gear and wasn't using it. We all bought factory due to our discount, but I had boxes and boxes of empties and bullets were CHEAP in the 80's. So was powder and brass.
I had several calibres and bought all his gear for about $150. RCBS Rockchucker, RCBS 10/10 scale, Uniflow Powder Measure, cartridge trays bench priming system etc.
All I had to do was buy the dies and mount it all to a bench, which I made myself out of solid Australian Mountain Ash timber 2.5" thick for the bench top and then furniture grade Mountain Ash for the shelves and drawers.
As I progressed in my loading, I found all of that gear lacking, so I sold it off to another beginner and upgraded.
Now, my point is this. With the kits available today, decide what you think you will be loading for in 10 YEARS TIME.
Buy the kit that will enable you to load for several cartridges with little fuss.
The RockChucker Supreme kit is well worth the cost.
The Turret Press kit, what I have now, is also well worth the cost and gives ease of set up, buy several heads, set them up with your dies, have another press, I have a RockChucker Supreme and Big Boss II.
I use my mandrels and other gadgets on the single stage presses.
I also buy kits for neck turning etc. Buying individual pieces just ends up costing way more than necessary.
The same as die sets, buy the set, it may look like it costs more, but the individual pieces bought separately WILL blow out more than the set.
You have to think ahead, because hand loading leads to more cartridges and you get to load more for the same amount of money as buying factory rounds...you don't save money, you just shoot more.

Cheers.

It's a lot like Crack; highly addictive and once you start there's no stopping.
You know this for a fact?🤣😂🤣
20B05761-76E4-48BE-B6C5-827392328EC0.gif

Just messin with ya....couldn't help it. 😇
Mornin, Ed! 😉

Last edited:
Great video. It makes more sense from an experienced reloader's point of view, but he brings up some great points to consider. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.