Curious, never seen this before

Johnd45lc

Working up a load for a 308 gas gun.
42 grains of Enduron 4166
Winchester Large Magnum Rifle Primer
168 gr SMK
COAL 2.800
Shot a total of 22 rounds at the range today. Picking up the brass and found this primer seemed to have ruptured out the edge. This is a new experience for me and I am wondering if you guys have any input?
DD1D63BE-D16D-471D-BD3C-E633142968F6.jpeg

926AC91C-E1C1-4EC3-B7F2-51F954CDF61E.jpeg

On closer inspection, it may be a pinhole on the edge of the primer, clean the soot off or take a pic from the side to clarify.

Cheers.

Someone posted something similar a few years ago. Issue with a specific lot of Winchester primers. Damaged his bolt face, and Winchester was paying to fix it.

Also check out this thread. It's got some lot numbers.

Unrelated, but I'm also curious as to why you are running a magnum primer in 308 with that powder.

Last edited:
Large Rifle:
I use Win primers in Win, Hornady, and Starline brass. Rem primers in Rem brass. Seems to match up well.
Win primers in Federal brass is terrible. They are very loose, even with once fired Fed brass. CCI primers are tighter.

It is a primer cup fault, during the cup being stamped a crack is formed and blows out upon firing. Had it happen to me with WLRM primers just last year. Winchester replaced my bolt due to gas cutting in the bolt face.
I have photos, but no idea how to post them, everytime I have tried it fails.
Lol.

Cheers.

Working up a load for a 308 gas gun.
42 grains of Enduron 4166
Winchester Large Magnum Rifle Primer
168 gr SMK
COAL 2.800
Shot a total of 22 rounds at the range today. Picking up the brass and found this primer seemed to have ruptured out the edge. This is a new experience for me and I am wondering if you guys have any input?
View attachment 276561
View attachment 276562
Yes, I have saw this exact same thing with the exact same primer you were using "Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer". I've never had it happen with any other primer. I don't use them anymore. Once is enough for me. Apparently, they are very hot primers. I've heard other people mention that they are the hottest large rifle primers that can be found.

Someone posted something similar a few years ago. Issue with a specific lot of Winchester primers. Damaged his bolt face, and Winchester was paying to fix it.

Also check out this thread. It's got some lot numbers.

Unrelated, but I'm also curious as to why you are running a magnum primer in 308 with that powder.
Thanks!

Used these primers because they were available. Normally would have used Federal Gold Match.

I went thru this same stuff yrs ago..even with new brass...
BAD PRIMERS.from WINCHESTER....
if you contact them they will refund money.you gotta send primers to them...
BUT BOLT FACE ALREADY CUTT...!!!

I guessing you were using the WLR Magumn primer because that was all you had. I don't even use that primer in my 300 W,M. anymore. The WLR-M primer has the most energy of all the magnum primers and should only be used in large capacity cartridge's with slow burning powders such as 30-378, 300 and 338 ultra mags and etc.

Recent Posts