Barrel Fluting that doesn’t whistle????

AKdan

Hey guys-

Anyone have a flutted barrel that doesn't whistle in the wind. I have only had one flutted barrel and heavily flutted at that. It is amazingly noisy in the wind. I love heavy barrels but am trying to reduce weight. I was looking at the proof barrels but they don't make 338 barrels shorter than 24" so I was looking at flutting a heavy barrel but really don't like the noise especially when hunting. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

If the top edge of the flute is radiused instead of sharp it should not whistle. Not sure how difficult this would be on the mill.

If you decide to use a fluted barrel, and have any interest in a chromoly barrel with .100" deep flutes, send me a PM.

Gwine- Ha I should have thought about the radius'd Edge. The edges on my rifle I are at a near 90* angle thus fairly sharp leading to "the whistle" not sure how to radius something like that.

Edd- thanks for the notification- it's stainless for me chromoly is too much maintenance in the field for what I do.

Last edited:
It's not that hard to make them with a radius but it takes more time. You can also use a different cutter that has tapered walls rather than straight.

I might have to test this out with an old barrel. Heavily flute a piece of roundstock and test a few different flute patterns

Also, if your still interested in a carbon barrel, Hells Canyon Armory in Idaho will do pretty much whatever you want in a carbon barrel, and from what I have read about them they are as good or better than proof barrels, and likely cheaper. May be worth a look....

Don't guess I've ever experienced (noticed) this phenomenon. Not saying this doesn't happen as I suppose it's possible, but do you happen to have a muzzle brake on it?
What kind of winds are we talking about (velocity)?

I have a brake but it is always taped over with black tape... usually when it gets to about 25 mph or more.

I have several and have never noticed a whistle. I am however kinda old and some say (wife) that I am deaf, which is pretty rude that she doesn't acknowledge that I identify as a selective listener.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.