barrel fluting?

How long is your barrel? Was it the #4 magnum sporter weighing about 3lb 14oz? I have a med palma I've thought about fluting, but so far I don't think I'll shave as much weight as I'd like.

Mine was 26" and was 3lb 8oz before fluting, 2lb 14oz after. It balances better and my total rifle weight is at 10 lbs now, right where I wanted it.

Kampfeld does an awesome job! He spiral fluted my 7mm Practical barrel and bolt. Top quality! Right now, I have a 6mm creedmoor being built and he's doing the barrel, bolt, bolt knob, and skeletonizing the bolt. Both my barrels are #5 contour spiral fluted for a lot less than carbon barrel. Hit me up Alex if you have questions... I realize this post is a bit old, but I haven't seen ya with a new stick lately!!!

Kampfeld does an awesome job! He spiral fluted my 7mm Practical barrel and bolt. Top quality! Right now, I have a 6mm creedmoor being built and he's doing the barrel, bolt, bolt knob, and skeletonizing the bolt. Both my barrels are #5 contour spiral fluted for a lot less than carbon barrel. Hit me up Alex if you have questions... I realize this post is a bit old, but I haven't seen ya with a new stick lately!!!

I've been really contemplating a 6mm creed build Terry!! Just trying to figure out how to get the fun tickets saved up

How did your barrels shoot before and after fluting?
Here's how my 7-300 WSM shoots after spiral fluting, 2" 3 shot group at 840 yards. Remington Varmint contour .700 at the muzzle, weighs 3.5 lbs post fluting.
IMG_20181209_123853723.jpg

Thsts great it's shooting so well after fluting. All barrel manufactures that I have had fluted required them to do it, and double stress relief the barrel and do finish lapping after. I would assume this is for a reason.

Fluting allows a barrel to have a larger radius for a given weight, and a larger radius makes a stiffer barrel.

However, where people screw this up is thinking that they can take a barrel of a given radius, flute it and make it stiffer. That isn't the case, as when you remove metal you make the barrel less stiff. Period.

Fluting makes a barrel lighter, but fluting ALWAYS makes the barrel less stiff than it was before it was fluted.

In addition, any time you flute a barrel you are changing the stresses in a barrel and unless the barrel is properly stress relieved you might not like the end result.

If you have a good barrel that shoots well, leave it alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.