Fluting a #3 Bartlein barrel??

Button or cut doesn't make a difference, as long as they are stress relieved.

Think about carbon barrels and the streeses introduced to them during profiling, wrapping and contouring...as long as they are properly stress relieved they shoot fine whether button or cut.

Cooper and Kimber flute some pretty thin contoured barrels, and they still shoot well.

If done properly, it is hard to say if it effects accuracy or not.

My 6.5SS w. #3b spiral fluted Bartlein was previously a .260 Rem. Same barrel, but not fluted. When I had Axisworks rechamber it to 6.5SS I had Eric spiral flute it. It went from a .2" .260 to a .2" 6.5SS. With proper load development, I did not lose any accuracy that I have noted to blame the spiral fluting for. But the gain of 350fps with the same bullet, and losing about 5oz is a great trade even if I would have lost .05" of accuracy.

Fluting from the manufacturer is one thing, fluting after the fact is another.

Of course a fluted barrel vs same diameter barrel will sag more... it's less stiff. This has been proven several times over.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.