Radial barrel fluting

Do not think I would apply "machine gun" mftr ideas to a precision long range rifle. Their respective objectives and accuracy standards are opposing. A machine gun is designed not for precision aimed fire, but rather area fire into a "beaten zone" or area at a distance. That is why a machine gun has a certain amount of "slop" in the the tolerances for its T & E mechanism (traversing and elevation) to obtain that area beaten zone. Kind of think I would follow what Dan Lilja has layed out in his programs for fluting on what works and not. He probably has done more testing in this area than most others. Now having said that, you can always try new ideas as long as you have the $450 for a new barrel, $150 for chambering and another $150 for fluting if the "new style" just does not work out.

Gentlemen,

Here is a new type of fluting one of geniuses came up with.

30404s.jpg

I built this rifle for one of our wildcats, 30/404. The rifle has a Sako 75 action, and a 27 1/2 Hart barrel.

Several of us used it in Africa last June, using several type of bullets, including Sierra Match Kings, Nosler Ballistic Tip, SWift A-Frame and Trophy Bonded Bear claws. All in 180 grain, with a velocity of between 3430-3480 depending on the make of the bullet.

Nice color contrast. Was thinking red and black looks good. Seen some AR-15s with different color anodizing, and that would look good on a Macmillen red marble stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.