Barrel Fluting vs accuracy

Dnk9444

I have a Rem700 im gonna put a new barrel on. I was leaning toward a fluted barrel. I've read that if not fluted correctly it can cause accuracy issues. Is this the case?

How would you know unless you did before fluting testing vs after fluting testing on a SPECIFIC barrel. Even if it was a real hack job the barrel still may shoot as desired. So, is the question out of concern or curiosity? If out of concern, don't worry about it and do it if that is what you want. Curiosity? Test and let us know the results. Good day and have fun.

I was just curious if anyone knew. I was thinking of buying a prefit and having it fluted. But didn't wanna chance it hurting accuracy if this was a real issue. I had just read that it was a possibility

I was just curious if anyone knew. I was thinking of buying a prefit and having it fluted. But didn't wanna chance it hurting accuracy if this was a real issue. I had just read that it was a possibility
I have done several barrels where I purchased and then had someone else flute…no issues ever. I will say purchase a premium barrel though to minimize issues. Good luck.

I have a Rem700 im gonna put a new barrel on. I was leaning toward a fluted barrel. I've read that if not fluted correctly it can cause accuracy issues. Is this the case?
That's a really interesting question. If you take an extreme, say you straight flute one side of the barrel and not the other, I would guess that would screw with the harmonics enough to hinder accuracy. If that is indeed the case, and I'm only speculating, then I would think a poor or uneven fluting job could decrease accuracy.

I'm very interested to hear what others think on the subject.

FWIW----there is an art to this and unless your Smith is very good at fluting there will be stress imparted which will not be a good thing for accuracy. All of my tubes including 1k competition rifles are fluted with only a few exceptions. The best option is to get one already fluted by the maker to avoid this if you are unsure.

Shilen does not sell fluted barrels, and will not flute a barrel on request. They claim the stress relief on the barrel is altered by fluting (it would move / warp etc) as it is performed after final machining and lapping of the barrel. Other manufacturers must have process they feel comfortable with I assume.