Are the WSSM cartridges dead?

engineer40

My cousin has a 25 WSSM and asked me about reloading for it because he has a hard time buying ammo.

Doing a bit of research it seems like some/all of the WSSM cartridges have not been popular and are becoming defunct.

Are all of the WSSM cartridges dead or just some of them?

Should I tell him to sell the rifle or to stockpile brass?

Thanks all!

My cousin has a 25 WSSM and asked me about reloading for it because he has a hard time buying ammo.

Doing a bit of research it seems like some/all of the WSSM cartridges have not been popular and are becoming defunct.

Are all of the WSSM cartridges dead or just some of them?

Should I tell him to sell the rifle or to stockpile brass?

Thanks all!

I'd tell him to sell the rifle at this time. You won't easily be able to find brass... It will need to be formed from wsm brass if you get forming dies. I have a 25wssm and enough brass for a good while, but I won't sell any brass unless the rifle goes too...

In short...Yes. Get rid of it if you don't already have brass or ammo stock-piled for it. You won't be able to find much, if any, available. If he likes the gun, and can find brass...Buy as much of it as he can afford.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will relay that information to him.

Are 223 wssm and 243 wssm brass just as scarce?

I would say just as hard to find, honestly. I have a buddy with a .223 WSSM, and he asked me to find him some brass last year, and it was a task. I found him some, but it took a lot of searching.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will relay that information to him.

Are 223 wssm and 243 wssm brass just as scarce?

Yes.

I have a project on the bench to form some WSSM from WSM. It works but is a big deal to do.

You didn't say what the rifle is.

Pronounced Dead on Arrival. !!! Massive trauma !!! Sell it if anyone wants it or get yourself as much brass as you can find or afford.....why drive yourself nuts and make life harder for no reason..

I have 3 of the 25 wssm's, 1 browning and 2 winchesters. The local gun shop has no problem ordering shells for the 25, says he didn't realize how many are around. Excellent sheep and deer gun. I panicked and bought as much brass as possible due to it being obsolete and now have 2500 casings. Should last my wife, 2 nephews and probably the grankids as well.

I have a 6.5 WSSM (25 WSSM necked up with no other changes) I have 8 firings on the brass, and I pound the KRAP out of it. PP's are still VERY tight. 6.5-284 performance. I baught 200 pieces of 25 WSSM brass, weight sorted them, and culled out the low 25 and the heavy 25 for sighters- fowlers. Win brass may be tough, but it was all over the place for weight!!! Should last the life of the tube.

I am not sure I will do it again, though, if finding brass becomes an issue. But I do love that little thing!!

Tod

Thanks for everyone's opinions on this. Sincerely and really appreciate the info. :)

Trying my hardest not to call his baby ugly; I let him know my thoughts on the cartridge.

From his response, I don't think he will do anything with the information, except still complain about finding ammo for the rifle.

I think you should tell him to stockpile some brass (if not too late). The 25wssm is a really good cartridge. Winchester should have started at 25 and went to 26 & maybe 27.
I run a 26wssm, and I can say with certainty that a proper chamber + well planned reloading will allow Win reloading brass to last several lifetimes.
It's incredibly thick & tough (like Lazeroni/Bell).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.