Anyone try the new CX bullets from Hornady?

Seems similar to a Barnes bullet, was just wondering if anyone has tinkered with the new CX bullets from Hornady yet. Just another mono option out there I guess.
Would try if they had in 6.5 147gr. But not interested in their present selection.

Then explain why Berger came out with a copper solid target bullet? šŸ¤£ Must be to compete with all the other copper bullets that are used pretty much exclusively in ELR. Copper monometal bullets have proven time and again to be no less capable than cup and core. I've shot coppers, killed with coppers, made small holes with coppers - I got my evidence, guess you need to go find your own.

Obviously you are comparing standard copper bullets to monolithic lathed turned bulletsā€½ not apples to apples. Yes I'm well aware of monolithic bullets not even close to Hunting copper solids.. I guess we should all go out and buy some new line of copper bullets and compete at the Ko2 match coming up...

That's like saying I'm going to win Ko2 with my 6.5 Creedmoor!

Lathed copper bullets with high BC and perfectly tuned for long range aren't the same as Barnes TTSX , their other bullets and any other hunting copper bullet.

Yes you can take your corolla hunting, may work for some applications but not ideal when you need a truck or jeep, yet they both are vehicles, that's how good your example is šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

You obviously have formed an opinion without hard data. Ive taken countless deer with Barnes over the last 30+ years. I have never missed one, never lost one, and never a failure to expand, and full penetration every time. I changed to Hammers because of the unavailability of Barnes. This was the first year hunting with hammers. I took 3 bucks, 2 with 25 cal and one with 338. Two were DRT and one did a death lunge of 10 yds. I will never hunt medium and larger game again with lead. I still help others track deer shot with lead core bullets. Some are poor shots and some are bullet failures. Lastly, All my rifles shoot copper .5" or less, just as they do with lead core bullets
I take it you're not aware of how Berger got started ? Obviously not. Know about how his target bullet became their hunting line? Sounds like you don't again. Know about the killing machine the 215 Berger is? Most sought after 30 cal bullet ever made. It's not solid copper..

And see my post above, regarding mono's vs copper bullets, totally different design and process to make.

Why do the TSX and TTSX blow up some times on impact, too much velocity will do that. Had to stop using those copper bullets.

Post some groups of your copper bullets. 3 shot groups I assume, but I'll hold off on judging until evidence is submitted šŸ˜‰

Have some 7mm 150s coming.
They claim 90+% weight retension, lead is ??? 65-65%?
In the infomercial they talk about the design of expanding the bullet. It's funny to hear from a # of the members here that makes it sound like Hornady's r & d dept sit around all day in their 1940s Bib overalls, potbelly stove keeping the coffee hot in the corner, with 3 different bullets sitting on the table, eyeballin them to see which 1 they think is better! Oh boy!!!
Going to give them a try, if they shoot as good or better as their eld/eldx line, I'll be thrilled!
Had my son shoot 1 cold shot then 2 with 147 eldm & 2 124 H Hunter loads. We were out of time going on a cow hunt. I said we'll pick the best load & go with that. Which 1 would you choose?

Here's his target.

Attachments

• 20211214_094803.jpg
    20211214_094803.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Hornady's are always in stock at gun shops lately and I will walk on by because I have never had good results with them maybe thats why they are always in stock. When you try the ELDM and ELDX in three different rifles and yield poor results you move on. I will pass on the new bullet as well after my experience with Hammers.

Here's his target.
Nice, 3 shots šŸ‘ let's see a group of 5 plus but we don't need to make this a measuring contest... copper hunting bullets don't perform as well as many other bullets... if so, I'd see the teams I've worked with use them for humans... but they don't. In fact, which is derailing from the thread the Hornady Tap ammo has been so bad some have had to rebarrel weapons just to get group size down. Hostage shots can't be just lucky shots...

Again I've never seen the performance from solid coppers for hunting besides monos for long range shooting

Nice, 3 shots šŸ‘ let's see a group of 5 plus but we don't need to make this a measuring contest... copper hunting bullets don't perform as well as many other bullets... if so, I'd see the teams I've worked with use them for humans... but they don't. In fact, which is derailing from the thread the Hornady Tap ammo has been so bad some have had to rebarrel weapons just to get group size down. Hostage shots can't be just lucky shots...

Again I've never seen the performance from solid coppers for hunting besides monos for long range shooting
Cold shot was at a different target. The top hole is 2 shots from 147, lower hole is 2 shots from 124 HH. Basically, my handicapped son "IQ of 50" shot 4 times with all into same hole except for different bullet poi.

Bullet weight retension: Hornady claims 92% weight retension on their CX bullet. A 6.5 130gr at 92% is about 120 gr. A 150gr cup/core at 65% is 97gr. Even at 75%, puts it at 113gr. Just a little fyi.

Why do the TSX and TTSX blow up some times on impact, too much velocity will do that. Had to stop using those copper bullets.
In my 63 years Ive never heard of a Barnes copper blowing up. I drive them 3500 in a couple rifles, never an issue. I hear a lot of stories of bergers blowing up or failing to open at all. I use 1 berger on varmints and it blows up well

Mostly because they had to due to the ever growing issue of lead bullets polluting the environment.
I believe they built the bullets specifically for the 375 EnABELR. Extending out to a guess... it was so that Litz could still shoot Bergers while being competitive against all the CE bullets that were dominating. Hornady sneaks a few A-Tips in, but probably only a matter of time before they go to the dark side also.

Obviously you are comparing standard copper bullets to monolithic lathed turned bulletsā€½ not apples to apples. Yes I'm well aware of monolithic bullets not even close to Hunting copper solids

Lathed copper bullets with high BC and perfectly tuned for long range aren't the same as Barnes TTSX , their other bullets and any other hunting copper bullet.
I'm sorry but you're incorrect. It might have been true as recently as 10 years ago, but there are quite a few monolithic lathe turned hunting bullets on the market today. I've killed animals with them, and there's an entire thread dedicated to nothing but pictures of results from using them.

Have you head of Hammer or Cutting Edge? Hammer Bullets are purpose-built hunting bullets that are lathe turned. Same with Cutting Edge, they make match bullets, hunting bullets, and even one called the MTH that is both a hunting and match bullet all in one. Hammers and CE are not drawn wire bullets like the Barnes TSX (and most likely the Hornady CX), and there is no apples and oranges to a comparison between a Hammer, a CE MTH, and the new Berger target mono, the differences between them all primarily relate to having enough of a tip opening to shed the petals on contact.

To your original point that I was rebutting, there are plenty of copper bullets that will perform no less effectively than traditional cup and core bullets. Drawn wire and turned bar stock both. The distinction you're trying to make between the various copper bullet production methods is spurious, it doesn't change the reality that coppers have made serious inroads into several key parts of shooting sports, for reasons that are entirely based on performance and have nothing to do with lead bans.
Mono hunting bullets:

There have been vast improvements in mono performance in the past few years for sure. They and the long range cup and core both step away from the traditional 'sold' concept of what the optimal game bullet 'should' be. It is hard to go from concept to concept when a person finds what they are comfortable with. There are variations of monos that have left a bad taste and the same for some of the C&C. It is interesting to listen to the arguments from the different bullet camps of proven bullets when both are very effective...and better, depending on the individuals desire for particular performance. As to the Hornady CX bullets...meh.

Priced better than Hammers, but bc's seem worse. They only made a couple trying to get good bc. Hammer did that with most.
I'm still looking for a cross section of the Hammers and now Barnes otherwise there's too much smoke and mirrors. Like what I see with the Hornady but prefer copper jacketed lead.