Anyone try the new CX bullets from Hornady?

I feel like we're going to be waiting a bit for any hard data...
Little Rascals Waiting GIF

I'm still looking for a cross section of the Hammers and now Barnes otherwise there's too much smoke and mirrors. Like what I see with the Hornady but prefer copper jacketed lead.
A Hammer cross section is exactly what the silhouette looks like from the outside. Measure the depth of the hole and that's the only part of it that's not solid bar stock. There's no real secret to it, it'll look exactly like you'd expect solid metal to look like.

Barnes:
1648223450963.png

Drawn Wire copper:
1648223458370.png

I absolutely loved the 55GMX in 223 for deer and grabbed a couple boxes when I heard they where discontinued. That should last me many years at the rate I shoot hunting bullets.

I feel like we're going to be waiting a bit for any hard data...
Little Rascals Waiting GIF

A Hammer cross section is exactly what the silhouette looks like from the outside. Measure the depth of the hole and that's the only part of it that's not solid bar stock. There's no real secret to it, it'll look exactly like you'd expect solid metal to look like.

Barnes:
View attachment 353050

Drawn Wire copper:
View attachment 353051
Interesting.... . Anybody here shot any of these?

Not those exactly, but they're essentially what the Hornady CXs should be. Polymer tip, and the only way to get 95% weight retention is to mushroom and not shed petals like CE and Hammer.

Steve at Hammer made a very interesting point about wound channel characteristics in another thread. Basically amount to mushrooms tend to stretch/tear tissue, which results in a smaller permanent wound channel for blood loss compared to cut tissue like you get with a mono that sheds petals and ends up with a blunter face.

Makes me wonder if that's why subsonic coppers kill like the do, there's more sharp edges on the expanded surfaces of the butterfly bullets that cut more than tear.

Not those exactly, but they're essentially what the Hornady CXs should be. Polymer tip, and the only way to get 95% weight retention is to mushroom and not shed petals like CE and Hammer.

Steve at Hammer made a very interesting point about wound channel characteristics in another thread. Basically amount to mushrooms tend to stretch/tear tissue, which results in a smaller permanent wound channel for blood loss compared to cut tissue like you get with a mono that sheds petals and ends up with a blunter face.

Makes me wonder if that's why subsonic coppers kill like the do, there's more sharp edges on the expanded surfaces of the butterfly bullets that cut more than tear.
That's just not mathematically and physiologic ally possible, the only difference is where those channels are. The petals make multiple much smaller channels and the fragments have very little energy and momentum vs the expanding bullets.

Steve's proud of his bullets and all he's accomplished and folks like them and that's really all that matters.

It's not the petals, it's the slug that creates the wound channel. When you look at how butterflies cut it's different than how the mushrooms cut. I can tell you that the Hammers I shot this year produced more internal damage than the Partitions I normally use did. And that the Makers expanding subs do also, even with a much lower energy level.

That's just not mathematically and physiologic ally possible, the only difference is where those channels are. The petals make multiple much smaller channels and the fragments have very little energy and momentum vs the expanding bullets.

Steve's proud of his bullets and all he's accomplished and folks like them and that's really all that matters.
Personal experience shows me that the petals on Hammers do devastating damage to organs and tissue. The petals act like individual lacerating missles in addition to the shank which usually penetrates fully on whitetail deer. Some petals frequently stop under the off-side hide, others also penetrate the off-side hide as well.
Petal performance is a big plus to me😀

Personal experience shows me that the petals on Hammers do devastating damage to organs and tissue. The petals act like individual lacerating missles in addition to the shank which usually penetrates fully on whitetail deer. Some petals frequently stop under the off-side hide, others also penetrate the off-side hide as well.
Petal performance is a big plus to me😀
No argument there but the math just doesn't allow for a wider overall permanent wound channel. Small fragments can only do so much.

This thread seems to have derailed very quickly.

I've had good luck with the 120 GMX in my 6.5 PRC. At 3,250fps if something jumps up at 25 yards I feel confident in the performance. I look forward to data on the new bullet and trying it once I finish off the 250 GMX I have on the bench. More options is almost always good for us as consumers.