Anybody regret NOT going 338?

If you look at the video of Shawn's dad taking that elk @ 1314 yds, you will notice that recoil is not a factor. Why? Because there's a brake on the barrel. Now I used to be a no brake kinda guy, but over time, since getting into LR, I've changed my view on that. Probably 90% or more of serious LR shooters use a brake for several good reasons.

That said, my Sendero 300 RUM, which I recently sold with a new build on the way, had no brake and I was fine with it. When at the range and firing strings, I used a slip on recoil pad which made the recoil quite tolerable and in the field one or two shots isn't going to affect me, especially with adrenaline flowing. But, as I said, I've changed my view on brakes and my new RUM will have a brake and so will every other LR rifle I own with a kick more than a 25-06. For enjoyability of shooting and barrel stability and being able to get on target to spot hits and misses.

And BTW, when I shot more than 20 rounds through my 7 RM, my shoulder was definitely feeling it and flinching started to set in. The recoil pad wasn't the greatest, but a 7 mag definitely was a good kick to it.

I can not agree more about the use of brakes. 20 rds through a 7mm Rem is still flinch city no matter what! But I still believe the 7mm is just about the best all around long range caliber for the masses. Once that is said I personally use a Jim Brockman built (lever fame) 338-378 Weatherby that just out performs the 7mm all around. My 2 favorits are a 7mm Rem and the Weatherby. Both have taken elk at long ranges. 7mm 934 yds and the 338-378 Weatherby took a cow elk @ 1283. Both measured with 2 diffrent rangefinders. Both have Brakes and I can say the 7mm is MUCH more pleasurabe to shoot for practice and the 338-378 is much less pleasurable to recieve a 300gr accubond from. For the best out of all worlds I would give thee 338 up for the 7mm anyday. Thank God I don't have to give one up!

I can not agree more about the use of brakes. 20 rds through a 7mm Rem is still flinch city no matter what! But I still believe the 7mm is just about the best all around long range caliber for the masses. Once that is said I personally use a Jim Brockman built (lever fame) 338-378 Weatherby that just out performs the 7mm all around. My 2 favorits are a 7mm Rem and the Weatherby. Both have taken elk at long ranges. 7mm 934 yds and the 338-378 Weatherby took a cow elk @ 1283. Both measured with 2 diffrent rangefinders. Both have Brakes and I can say the 7mm is MUCH more pleasurabe to shoot for practice and the 338-378 is much less pleasurable to recieve a 300gr accubond from. For the best out of all worlds I would give thee 338 up for the 7mm anyday. Thank God I don't have to give one up!

I can't speak for the 338-378, but I have shot a couple of 338 Lapua's (a couple of LRH member's rifles) that were braked and they were very pleasurable to shoot. Also shot another member's 375 AM with a massive Allen Pain Killer brake on it and it was like shooting a 243 or less. Maybe you should get a larger brake for the 338-378?

That said, if I had to choose between a big 338 and a 7 mag for LR elk hunting out to 1K or more, I would pick the 338. Take elk out of the picture and that changes the whole story for me. For an off the shelf 7, I would probably pick the Dakota or the LRM. I am actually thinking of also doing a 7/300 Norma Mag Imp or Lapua Imp sometime in the future.

The 7's are fine but I prefer bigger holes in bull elk.

Man this place is realy looking like a ATV forum where kids go to logon on to have ****ing matches to prove how great thier oil burning heap is with" better than yours" brand Mud tires!:rolleyes:

I started my elk career with 243, then to the 7RM, and I felt like I was pushing it to the limits.Then about 25 elk ago I went to the 340 WBY.I put 350 rnds down that thing first spring.Heres a pict on my first 6x6 at -10, WBY tatto.Now my 18 yr. old boy pounds game with the 340 and tries to sneek one of my 338 Normas from me too.I just love the 388,take a win also.I shot the 340 10 years no brake , but am a big brake fan,I run with hoop earplugs as a norm,same as at work.My light Norma is a cup cake if you shot a unbraked mag as much as I did.

Attachments

• 340 tatoo.jpg
    340 tatoo.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 39
I bet that .340 Wby has some pop to it, coming from the back-end of it when it goes off...Especially un-braked. Never shot an actual .340 Wby, but I have pulled the trigger on a .338-378 Wby before. One of my dream guns is a .30-378 Wby Accumark.

I started my elk career with 243, then to the 7RM, and I felt like I was pushing it to the limits.Then about 25 elk ago I went to the 340 WBY.I put 350 rnds down that thing first spring.Heres a pict on my first 6x6 at -10, WBY tatto.Now my 18 yr. old boy pounds game with the 340 and tries to sneek one of my 338 Normas from me too.I just love the 388,take a win also.I shot the 340 10 years no brake , but am a big brake fan,I run with hoop earplugs as a norm,same as at work.My light Norma is a cup cake if you shot a unbraked mag as much as I did.

Too Funny!
I ran the 340Wby from about "85 to "95...I never wanted for more.
Looks like the same time frame as you?...back in the days of real rock...Metallica baby! :)

My 340 left a permanent scar when I shot a black bear on an extreme downhill angle (between my toes). I don't remember the shot, but when I woke up a few seconds later my buddy was laying beside me holding his stomach! OMG I thought the rifle blew up! I sat up as my head cleared and wiped the blood from my eyes. It was then that I realized that my buddy was laughing so hard he couldn't stand and the gun was fine! Between seeing the bear cartwheel down the mountain and me knocking myself silly...it was more than my good buddy could bare...He wasn't even trying!

On the bright side the "beautiful" black bear was nice on one side and badly rubbed and scabby on the other. As an added bonus it was super fun dragging that 300 pound sack of **** back up the near vertical mountainside as my head pounded and my buddy kept falling down laughing at me and my fugly bear.

That was a long time ago, but the 340 still rocks....So does Metallica!

Thank you, my fellow 7mm brother. I agree completely.

However, for me it's a 180 VLD stuffed into an STW case where it's touching the lands, with a bunch of H1000 and a Fed 215 GMM primer. It works wonders when shooting 3-shot groups into the same ragged hole from a Rem 700 Sendero SF 7mmSTW with a 26" 9.25 twist barrel.. :D

Would you care to give the specifics of that load data (grains of H1000) and post a picture of the 3 shot groups into the same ragged hole?

Thanks!

I will take pics next time I go to the range. Last time I went it started raining towards the end, so I left my targets down range. As for load data I'll have to look on my label at home. I can't remember how much I used. And by 1 ragged hole I am referring to really tight cloverleafs, just FYI...It's just a term we use down here. I don't literally mean the same exact diameter passing in the same hole and barely scraping the edges...That would be insane.

I will post load data this evening when I look at my label.

Why do yall feel the need to pick apart my posts at every turn?

Not that you really cared to know, other than to be a sarcastic, I used 75.5gr of H1000, with them seated up against the lands.

I will take pics next time I go to the range. Last time I went it started raining towards the end, so I left my targets down range. As for load data I'll have to look on my label at home. I can't remember how much I used. And by 1 ragged hole I am referring to really tight cloverleafs, just FYI...It's just a term we use down here. I don't literally mean the same exact diameter passing in the same hole and barely scraping the edges...That would be insane.

I will post load data this evening when I look at my label.

Why do yall feel the need to pick apart my posts at every turn?
I made the mistake of telling a bench buddy about my 1.125 group of 3 at 400 w/338 NM.Sooo he sends me a pict. of a 5 shot at 400=.383 w/his 300wsm

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.