Am I the only one??

My main interest over the years, has been to buy guns, develop the most accurate loads I could, then trade them (the guns) off for MORE guns to develop more loads....over and over...so, I have owned a awful lot of guns and loaded for them. All in all, I have seen very few die problems but, I don't buy that much RCBS any more, mainly because I like the quality of the Redding dies. I have used quite a few Hornady die sets (zero problem with these), and quite a few customs dies.

I have run into some odd ball chambers, and once in awhile, I have trimmed the bottom of a sizing die for tight chambers.

I do think that manufacturers doing the factory chambering, are paying more attention to average chamber sizes than they used to in general and tooling and controls are better.

My favorite dies in factory dies, are the Redding S dies, where I can get them for a caliber that they cut them in.

I still use quite a few RCBS dies, but I haven't purchased more than four sets in the last few years.

Paul

The symptoms described here are very common with belted magnum calibers. However, stuck handloads rarely happen to non-belted calibers, except when custom chambers are made "a little too tight". Oversize factory chambers almost never have this happen, because of unavoidable production tolerances.

I've devoted almost half a website that explains why belted magnums are affected. When I first explained this problem to RCBS and Redding (among others), I hoped they would want to solve the problem. Most of them reluctantly explained that they knew the problem, but had no interest in solving it.

After I patented the Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die, it was interesting to hear their reasoning for not buying my patent. One company said that it won't be profitable to persue a solution, because not enough shooters reload belted magnums. Another company said that if they don't make it, it isn't needed. Another major die manufacturer recently told me that they were well aware of the problem, but if they began selling my Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Dies, their customers would think that they've been selling inferior resizing dies for decades.

Check out my website (below) and see what 1,900 shooters do to solve these problems now.

- Innovative

My 7mmRUM FL die won't size the necks enough to hold a bullet either. Even without the expander ball!! RCBS once again!!!

[ QUOTE ]
The symptoms described here are very common with belted magnum calibers. However, stuck handloads rarely happen to non-belted calibers, except when custom chambers are made "a little too tight". Oversize factory chambers almost never have this happen, because of unavoidable production tolerances.

I've devoted almost half a website...
- Innovative

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your self promoting comment is out of place on this thread.

This has nothing to do with belted cases. What we are discussing has to do with sizing dies that are too long!!!

Your comments have nothing to do with the problem being discussed.

Further, I have loaded belted magnums (.264, .300WM, and 375 H&H - with full loads), for more years than I care to count, and I have never run into your supposed "problems".

A very petty effort at hijacking a thread to try sell your "Snake oil" die.

Wow . . . . some of us have an attitude. I've been reloading for well over 30 years (and spent 6 years on designing reloading tools). I thought I might be qualified to help a few fellow shooters. Excuse me if describing one of my reloading tools (or offering my help) offends someone if I do make a small profit.

I've discussed reloading with thousands of shooters, and I've found that when they talk about resizing problems and "grinding their dies down" - they really appreciate a little help, because there are alternatives. Case length symptoms are not as easy to understand as you might think. Measuring headspace is an issue that is not exactly a simple topic to most shooters, let alone understanding the effect of case taper.

RCBS does make fine dies. Keep in mind that they're a whole lot cheaper than Redding dies, and that's a big decision maker for a lot of shooters. Anyone can make a defective item, but they will ALWAYS make it good if you talk to the RIGHT person. However, I prefer the Redding S-Series die for resizing. I wrote a whole page on my website about them, and by the way . . . . I don't sell them. I like the S-Series die, because you don't need to use an expander ball, and you can control the neck tension. (That note should help the shooter that has case necks that are too loose.) Case runout is also improved.

My website has over 100 pages that are designed to help shooters that reload. I discuss a jillion products there (that I also don't sell). If you look at the <font color="green">Tech Section </font> of my website (Don't worry, I don't sell anything there either), you'll see why it gets visited by over 700 shooters every day.

- Innovative

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never experienced that problem and I do measure my reloaded ammo with a StoneyPoint headspace gauge. I normally set shoulders back about .001".

Rather than cutting all those dies shorter wouldn't it be easier to use a set of Redding Comp shell holders? Although I doubt that you could get an additional .030" from a shell holder. That die should have gone back to RCBS so they could have seen the extent of the problem that you called them about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VH, you got it back'ards...the Comp. SH's DROP the case further from the die. GG needs the case moved CLOSER to the die...that said, out of maybe 20 sets RCBS/Redding I have not had this problem once...

YMMV,
JB

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks JB1000

I thought I had a simple solution to the problem but instead had it arse backwards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Heck, the poor guy would have had .040" of excess headspace. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've only had one problem w/RCBS that being a min chambered 220 Swift. .005 off the die and bingo, they chamber w/.0015 shoulder bump. neck tension is fine. Only problem I've ever had.

Goodgrouper,

I too have had many instances where the RCBS die would not bump the shoulder. I simply started grinding off the top surface of the shell holder and kept checking with the Stoney Point tools until I was bumping the shoulder back. The modified shell holder worked with several dies but not all so I took a little more off. The downside is that you can't just crank the FL die down tight on the shell holder, but the Stoney Point tools allow you to get the correct setting.

Someone mentioned the Redding Comp Shell Holders - I had the same thought too. However, after trying them what they allow you to do is to size the case less (in 0.002 incriments) not more (which is needed to bump the shoulder back).

I used to retail the Redding dies and over about a two year period switched every die set on my bench for the Reddings. However, I have had some of these that I had to use my cut shell holder on. Dies are hardened and somewhat expensive at least when compared to a shell holder. Give it a try its a cheap fix.

Craig in SE Idaho

Add me to the list. I have a stack of RCBS dies collecting dust because of this same reason. All of my working dies are Redding.

For RCBS to act like this is a first for them is pure BS. When I worked at a reloading store in AZ, we had multiple RCBS dies come back for various sizing problems including this one, and that was 17 years ago. The company was contacted and we shipped all of the dies back if I recall, and the store was issued a credit. Dillon and Redding became our hot sellers because of this unresolved issue with RCBS.

Just recently had to have the bottom of a Redding Body Die taken down. I think it had more to do with the chamber of the Remington 22-250 VLS than the die.

try rcbs with semi-autos. another gimmick for rcbs to tell you to buy small base dies. i think it is a money saving process. they make the cutters a bit oversized. the first 20 dies cut will have this problem. the next 20 or so will size like a FL sizer should (due to wear). as the cutter becomes smaller, again due to wear, the next 20 or so will be small base dies.

To all:

Very interesting results. Keep them coming.

I was out shooting again recently and found out that the die I just barely had cut back .030" ALSO HAS A NECK DIMENSION PROBLEM!!. That's two strikes against one die. Had several rounds that I loaded on site with this sizing die not provide enough neck tension to hold a bullet when seated!

Then I go to work on another client's rifle (which has been a nightmare Christensen Arms) in 270 wsm and it won't size the necks in enough either!! That was strike three. From now on, clients are buying Redding dies for the project whether they have previously bought RCBS or not. RCBS is done in my mind as far as dies go.

For these two problem dies, they will be converted over to bushings ASAP.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.