Am I the only one??

Goodgrouper,

The picture below shows the patented Redding S-Series die. It is unlike conventional resizing dies, because it uses different size bushings to get neck sizing exactly right. (I don't sell these dies) but I use them on all of my rifle calibers. Brass thickness and hardness change as you continue to reload a case several times, and that affects neck tension quite a bit.

Redding.jpg

You guys need to lighten up on RCBS a little, and try to solve problems before trashing good companies. (I don't work for RCBS either).

- Innovative

[ QUOTE ]
To all:

Very interesting results. Keep them coming.

I was out shooting again recently and found out that the die I just barely had cut back .030" ALSO HAS A NECK DIMENSION PROBLEM!!. That's two strikes against one die. Had several rounds that I loaded on site with this sizing die not provide enough neck tension to hold a bullet when seated!

Then I go to work on another client's rifle (which has been a nightmare Christensen Arms) in 270 wsm and it won't size the necks in enough either!! That was strike three. From now on, clients are buying Redding dies for the project whether they have previously bought RCBS or not. RCBS is done in my mind as far as dies go.

For these two problem dies, they will be converted over to bushings ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

GG...

I know the guy on the phone said "they are in spec" (like he would know??), but just pack them up and return them with a letter explaining the problem and tell them you want them replaced, and you want the new dies CHECKED before they are sent back. That will solve the short term problem... the long term solution is spelled Redding, Forster, etc...

[ QUOTE ]
You guys need to lighten up on RCBS a little, and try to solve problems before trashing good companies. (I don't work for RCBS either).

- Innovative

[/ QUOTE ]

We ARE solving the problem. We are bringing it the attention of others, so THEY don't have the problem.

RCBS in the old days IE: pre blount put out very good products.The dies that I have from the 60's are of very good quality.The stuff today is hit and miss some good some bad. I have had to machine a lot of dies to let them full length size and bump the shoulder enough to chabmer relibably.

Grouper, there seems to be a couple of guys here that assumed that you own these dies in question. That you would be so foolish to keep buying RCBS dies when they are so inconsistent in dimention. Well we both know that's not the case. The dies in question are in fact owned by the people who have asked you to develope loads for them. This generally leaves you with two options. Buy a good die for a cartridge that you may never load for again, or try the RCBS set that was handed to you and deal with the occasional problems as you have been. I think most would try the RCBS sets just like you have.

I think Catshooter is right about letting other people know about problems with companys. when enough people call them on their poor quality I think they are more likely to improve!!!

OLd bear,you've hit the nail on the head!!! Old is better than new as far as RCBS is concerned. Thats not to say that all new RCBS dies are bad but a fair percentage definately are. ---RHB---

[ QUOTE ]
Grouper, there seems to be a couple of guys here that assumed that you own these dies in question. That you would be so foolish to keep buying RCBS dies when they are so inconsistent in dimention

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, agreed. They were in too big a hurry to find fault to read the post clearly. Happens over and over and over (mostly to the same kind of people).

Goodgrouper,

I never intended to insult you or any fellow shooter out there. You'll have to admit that it's a bit tough to really know who you're talking to, unless you really camp out on a forum and evaluate the technical knowledge of each individual shooter - and that takes too much time.

I've experienced the "Am I the only one?" syndrome myself a few times with customer service, but never with any reloading manufacturer. The customer service guy that answers the phone usually isn't the genius running the company. I usually waste no time going over their head to get problems like this solved.

After reading about all the RCBS problems reported, there does seem to be quite a few horror stories out there .... and even though I have never seen a single problem with them .... it does make you wonder.

It sounds like you need to get the right guy at RCBS to make things right for you. Ask for "Allan Jernigan" at 800-533-5000. I know that he will give you his full attention, and he know what he's doing. Give him a chance to explain and resolve your problems before trying to sink his company.

Keep in mind that even if you buy Redding dies .... if it's not their S-Series die .... it probably won't be much better than anybody elses conventional sizing die. The Redding S-Series die is awesome. It's much more expensive, but well worth the price.

- Innovative

Ric Horst,
I was very glad to see you back from exile on LRH, but after reading a few of your posts it is not unfathomable that you could be banished once more.
Good Luck,
UB

No offense taken Innovative. I was not referring to you in my earlier post. I was talking about certain people who like to lie in wait for something they can use against someone while in the meantime, step right over the obvious in their haste. If it were a snake it would have bit them!

And I agree that it is too hard to size up each individual person on an entire forum so there will be advice given that is old hat to the poster in question. In my personal collection of dies, I own no RCBS. They are all Redding or custom hand dies. It was not all the anticipated problems with RCBS that I chose not to use their stuff, it was simply the fact they they took too long to get bushing dies and micrometer tops with sleeves to the market. Redding had them and if they didn't, they would make them for me. Redding is also owned and operated by shooters the way that RCBS used to be back in the day. I know three guys at REdding who shoot benchrest and/or highpower every day off they have. This instills confidence in their R&D department from potential buyers.

Thanks for the info with RCBS. I will deal with your contact from now on. And please understand I was not trying to "sink his company". I doubt one man could ever do that anyway. I am just reporting a problem and what was told to me after I contacted them to fix it. I hope RCBS doesn't sink, I just want them to improve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On a side note, I have had this "bumping problem" with a custom die I bought. It was on a 6ppc die that was designed to size nothing but Lapua 220 russian brass changed to 6ppc. Given chamber dimension differences, this cartridge is the closest thing to being identical that there is from gun to gun and it was .005" too long for my brass. So even in a cartridge that is pretty much standardized, consistent and figured out, you can still have die issues. Rather than cut off a $150 custom sizing die, I opted on that one to just cut off the shellholder. Problem solved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's an idea:

If they will not change the length of their die bodies, why couldn't RCBS or someone else make shellholders that are thinner in increments of say .005"? Make some at -.005", -.010", -.015", and -.020" for the severly long dies. I don't think they would have to do it in all their shellholders, just maybe #3, #4, #10, #43, and #32 just to name a few. Redding already makes thicker ones so it wouldn't be too hard to make thinner ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The puzzling thing about RCBS is that they have never been known for having the best dies just the best selection. they have always been innovative but at times misguided in there direction. but in my opinion RCBS hit a homerun with the "Chargemaster Combo", if they could just put the same attention to detail (quality control) into there dies it would make a lot of us very happy.
UB

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.