Am I the only one??

You name it and it has been tried. Majority are tried on an RCBS JR 2 1960 vintage then tried on a new model Rockchucker supreme, partner, then standard rockchucker.

But as long as the die can be threaded down to touch the top of the shellholder at the height of the ram stroke, the press wouldn't matter. We are dealing with an "X" distance from top of shellholder to the shoulder of the die which seems to be too long in new mnfr die bodies. Or my luck is just that bad that I get all the bad ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

GG - I asked because I have a Harrell Press that I have used to FL and it didn't work out so well...SH cammed off the die...no bump.

Inspected at top of stroke with no case in the SH = good solid cam over/contact.

With a fired case in the SH, there was now a GAP btwn the SH and die!

Why?

There was not enough leverage etc. to bump the soulder and the system was flexing/giving etc. A very hard cam over (not simply good contact) was required, and that meant really stressing the short handle on the press.

Have since relegated FL sizing to the rockchucker.

With your Jr. press I'd expect a similar occurance, but the rockchucker should eliminate it.

JB

The cam over problem is surely something to be aware of. The partner press I have will do the same thing your Harrels was doing with the gap under the die. But the other presses I have or have access to to test will provide enough leverage to cam and they still won't work.

The Jr I have is not the Jr you're thinking of. It is the Junior 2 which was discontinued long before our time. It is actually sturdier in the "o" than the new Supreme. It is thicker all the way around and has a shorter diameter of opening. It is leverage city.

Goodgrouper,

I'm not sure what the RCBS Junior press looks like, but except for the Forster Coax press, there's nothing that can out perform the Rockchucker press for leverage, and the O-Design is as solid as a rock.

The thing that gives a reloading press strong leverage is not just the "cam over" feature. It's compound leverage, and an uninterupted (complete) full travel stroke to the top. The Rockchucker has 3 fulcrum pins, and that provides a world of improvement over any press that only has two fulcrums.

- Innovative

I never said the Rock chucker had more leverage, I said that the Jr 2 which I have has tons of leverage and is actually sturdier than the Supreme because it is shorter and thicker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, add two more brand spankin' new Redding dies to the list- a 7stw and a 270 wsm. These were both the new FL S dies. The dies are on the long side of SAAMI spec and the rifle's chambers must be on the short side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Remedy: I'm just going to buy a whole new set of regular shellholders and have them all cut off about .030". This seems easier than running a bunch more dies over to the machinist.

[ QUOTE ]
THAT EXPLAINS WHY 6MM BRASS FIRED IN MY GUN DOESN'T CHAMBER IN MY DAUGHTERS RIFLE. DUH to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well you learn something everyday!
I just bought some once fired 378 WBY brass on e-bay. I FLR sized them and they still gave me one hell of a hard time chambering in my 378 WBY Mag. . I resized them again screwing the die down where it actually torqued the press when resized still the same!

Man this sux!

587162.gif

POP,

Read my website, and you'll see why your 378 cases expand so much and why they're too tight. I get at least 2 or 3 phone calls a week from shooters having this problem with their 378 Weatherby handloads.

- Innovative

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts