All Around Mountain Rifle Build

Does anyone have a 6-7 lb 300 wsm, what's the recoil like?

Do I have one? Yes.
What's the recoil like? Like a 6-7 pound 300 WSM without a brake. Unless you have some macho thing to prove or are basically numb just add a brake.

Do I have one? Yes.
What's the recoil like? Like a 6-7 pound 300 WSM without a brake. Unless you have some macho thing to prove or are basically numb just add a brake.

I had a friend that was out of the country prior to PA deer season. He asked me to check his zero on his Browning titanium 300 wsm. I shoot a 7 mag and a pipe line 300 rum with a brake. That little gun got my attention quick. I was glad I only needed 3 shots. It seemed to be a much sharper recoil (faster) than my other rifles.

Curious....why doesn't a 280ai fit into the situation...
I had an older Remington mountain rifle 280 rechambered to 280ai and it is only about 7.5# scoped, sling and loaded....
Shoots good enough to kill critters....

I was going to ask the same thing as I was in your shoes and had a 7mm STW. I lucked out and found a 700 with a benchmark carbon wrapped barrel and McMillan hunter edge filled etc. shoots 160 to little over 3000 and 145 hammers to 3180. It scoped with a vortex LH with talleys and sits at 7.25 lbs. Its going to be my everything gun.

If set on a short action what about the 6.5 saum?

I had a friend...
Me too. He bought a Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 300WSM. Bottom line? It just kicked the dog s..t out of him. Told him I would put a brake on it for cost. "Nah"...he says. He bought a "Sled" to sight it in and test factory ammunition. He is a living example of why PH's in Africa get so frustrated with a lot of Americans. They show up with big bore, light weight guns they can't shoot.

Just finally got around to getting a gunsmith to build me what I want for my all-around mountain rifle. Going with a Montana 99 action I've had sitting around for years. Building a 7mm Dakota with 26" barrel 1-9 twist. Putting a Leupold VX6 3x18x44 on it. Going to shoot the Nosler Long Range Accubond 175g.

Now just waiting on it to get finished.

Remember hammer bullets and cutting edge has some options for 270 bullets if you decide on a 270wsm.

You will always have much better and more numerous options available for the 6.5, 7mm, and 7.62 vs the .277.

There's nothing "wrong" with the .277, you're just automatically going to more limited in choices by going with one.
The problem with the .277 (one of my favorites) is it has all ways ben looked at as just a hunting caliber and not a target caliber. And because of that bullets an ammo has ben more limited then in other calibers. Other calibers have the same cures, one of them is another one of my favorites the .358.

The problem with the .277 (one of my favorites) is it has all ways ben looked at as just a hunting caliber and not a target caliber. And because of that bullets an ammo has ben more limited then in other calibers. Other calibers have the same cures, one of them is another one of my favorites the .358.
That and for 50 years the only commercial .277 rifle was the .270win which had a very limited but very dedicated following.

The birth of the 7mm RM pretty well eliminated the possibility it would ever gain enough market share to get the same attention by the bullet mfgs.

It's true that there are fewer good 270 bullets but there are a few, and the way a hunting rifle works you can only use one type of bullet at a time. Beware the man with only one rifle... is heard often, but I'd add ... and one type of bullet. The CE 130 gr MTH bullet goes about 3400 fps with RL 26 in my Tikka 270 WSM, has good BC and good terminal ballistics (in my limited experience of a few deer and elk so far).

It's true that there are fewer good 270 bullets but there are a few, and the way a hunting rifle works you can only use one type of bullet at a time. Beware the man with only one rifle... is heard often, but I'd add ... and one type of bullet. The CE 130 gr MTH bullet goes about 3400 fps with RL 26 in my Tikka 270 WSM, has good BC and good terminal ballistics (in my limited experience of a few deer and elk so far).
Yet not every rifle will shoot every bullet well and the fewer choices you have the worse your odds are of finding that perfect mate.

Yet not every rifle will shoot every bullet well and the fewer choices you have the worse your odds are of finding that perfect mate.
That's true, and everybody has their own preferences. I should have said that for me the MTH bullet has worked out really well in the 270 WSM. But I wouldn't complain if there were some more 270 bullets to choose from.

Recoil for 270WSM vs 300WSM
8lb rifle-270wsm-150gr bullet-19lbs recoil energy
7.25lb rifle-300wsm-180gr bullet-27lbs recoil energy
8lb rifle-300wsm- 180gr bullet-24lbs recoil energy

Ive owned a Cpl 300wsm rifles, Rem 700 and Wby Vanguard and both were horrible to shoot as far as recoil goes, my 300 Wby felt like it kicked less !

if you go in a lightweight rifle it really depends on how light, to me a lightweight rifle is 6.5-7.5 lbs scoped, an ultralight is 5.5-6.5lbs scoped, I would recommend a brake, I just built a 5.2 lb Kimber Montana 84M 6.5-284 with a 22" #1 Benchmark and a brake added for 24" total barrel length and its a dream to shoot,

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.