All around bipod

arawls88

I've been searching the last week and it seems options are endless and opinions are all over the place. Use will be mainly range work and practice with hunting use when practical. Looks for something solid that's not $1k, what do yall run? Pics and product links are appreciated as well!

Atlas all day for me. I tried the atlas and just never liked the lack of adjustment without adding bulk
Edit: Let me try that again:
Atlas all day for me. I tried the HARRIS and just never liked the lack of adjustment without adding bulk

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm a Harris guy. Have full freezers ever year. Shoot tight groups..using a Harris…on a concrete bench. And yet I'm called a fudd and a boomer. Weird.

Some interesting emotions surrounding bipods in here…

They all do the same thing. Even the crappy $40 Champion bipods work after a fashion. Harris are great for the price point; they have a pile of different models so you can get one that suits your needs. A 6-9" or 9-13" tend to be the most popular. They're heavy, tend to be loud (you can hear the springs vibrate every shot) but they're stable and work reliably.

I have 2 atlas, and I have no clue why. They're cool, but not $200-$300 cool. Unless you're into some PRS shooting that requires bizarre bipod deployment, there's no reason to dump that kind of money of a pair of little legs for the front of your rifle. It doesn't need to be complicated.

Here's this:

I've had a lot of bipods. Really, bipods are bipods. Theres minutiae details between them.

I'll talk about the Harris since it tends to be a popular one. While they've been around since probably the 70s, the current modern style was issued equipment 01…06.. something like that, for us snipers, on the USMC side. Then tail end of the M40A3s. They work. They're durable. They are fast to deploy. They are very simple.

On the pro shooter side of it, it has its flaws. The feet aren't square to the body all the time from the factory. That can be issue if you're use to managing recoil and following your shots every time. However, it is what it be in that price point.

If you're going to get a Harris, I'd look at a swiviling one, with the notched legs and pod lock. This will help with leveling your reticle in uneven terrain.

From a tactical standpoint; 6-9 inches in height is useless in a kitted out plate carrier. I pretty much have to run it on 9 when slick. I would do the 9-13 for most things unless you're shooting down off roofs..or "hunting" off a boulder on a downward slope…something super specific like that.

That's Harris in a nutshell. Good enough for government work.

Personally I reckon that tripods are more beneficial for hunting. You can basicly use a pack and accomplish what a bipod would do in the prone. Problem is how many shots in the field do you find yourself in the prone? For me…there's always a sage brush, tree fell, or rock in my way.

Last edited:
I've been searching the last week and it seems options are endless and opinions are all over the place. Use will be mainly range work and practice with hunting use when practical. Looks for something solid that's not $1k, what do yall run? Pics and product links are appreciated as well!
@Unionsparky46 Hatch's (https://www.hatchoutwest.com/) recommendation is a good one.

I've used Harris, Atlas, AccuTac, and CkyePods.

For me, it's between Atlas and AccuTac when it comes down to price, quality and usability.

AccuTac is heavy, so for hunting and carrying a lot that's probably the negative.
Atlas is a good all around bipod. I just find that deploying the legs takes a little longer than the others when you're on the clock.

I do have an Atlas for sale - listed in the classifieds if you're interested.