All Around Mountain Rifle Build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Blueman, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Ok gents, here's the scoop. My brother and I are wanting to build some light weight mountain rifles. I have a 10.5 lb STW for when the terriain is more favorable. I hunt in some nasty steep terrain. I cannot afford titanium actions, so don't go there. I've got a tikka in 300 win mag that I want to re-barrel with a proof sendero light, and possible do some work on the bolt to lighten it up. I'm planning on using a MPI lightweight stock (or similar), and optics no heavier than 20 oz. The build will mostly be for elk and mule deer, sheep if I draw before I die. My questions is, what caliber should I go with? And how long of a barrel? I'm thinking 22"?
    Some of the calibers I've been thinking of are:
    270 WSM 1:8 for the 170 Berger, 165 matrix, or 150 LRAB (I like that it can go heavy, but no crazy recoil)
    7 SAUM/7 WSM 1:8/9 for any 160-180 gn bullets, there are lots to choose from. (this is harder to buy in stores if I'm in a pinch and need ammo.)
    300 WSM 1:10 for anything in the 180-210 gn range. (My concern with the 30 cal is the recoil)
    6.5 cals seem a little small for elk imho, especially when shooting out to 6-700 yds.

I do plan to put a titanium break on to reduce recoil. I'm pretty set on these few choices, just want some opinions. I'm proficient at reloading so that's what I plan on doing. Also don't try to convince me of SS Mag, they are interesting, but I want something with no fire forming.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  2. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

You going to go with "short" calibers with the Tikka 300 action?

3. Blueman

That is my intent, the throat/magazine length don't well on the gun as is. So I figure if I use a shorter caliber with the long action, I can throat appropriately for long vld bullets.

shooter7 and Hand Skills like this.
  4. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

I’ve heard good things about 270 wsm and find it interesting. I personally am going 300 wsm. Muzzle brake should be able to handle the recoil fine.

That’s mostly for practice anyway, I never feel it when I’m in the moment :)

Kaboom likes this.
  5. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

7wsm brass is harder to find than 300wsm, and loaded ammo is quite a bit more, id opt for the 300 from the ones you listed ....you also have a wider range of bullet weights to pick from in the 30 cal option.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  6. Rick Richard

300 WSM braked.

Weatherby Fan and slas like this.
  7. Plinker147

Plinker147 Well-Known Member

I suggest 7SAUM or 7WSM

blackaj and rfurman24 like this.
  8. Blueman

Does anyone have a 6-7 lb 300 wsm, what’s the recoil like?

9. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

There are 1 or 2 for sale here

10. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

I've got a 7wsm thats shoots really well...but 24" barrel....
    doubt 2" will make a huge difference on weight...just have to find a comfortable way to pack it or wear it when hiking up the hill...

11. Pulpwood

Pulpwood Well-Known Member

I have a Winchester extreme in the 300wsm . The recoil isn’t bad at all The rifle itself before scope and accessories is at 7 lbs

12. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

Curious....why doesn't a 280ai fit into the situation...
    I had an older Remington mountain rifle 280 rechambered to 280ai and it is only about 7.5# scoped, sling and loaded....
    Shoots good enough to kill critters....

13. Beardeddeer91

Beardeddeer91 Well-Known Member

I’d also go 300 WSM (the 270 WSM would also be a good option) as factory ammo is readily available and imo it’s an awesome cartridge. I don’t think recoil will be unmanageable since your going to brake it. I’ve shot my buddies lightweight braked 300 WM (about 7.5 lbs) with a 22” barrel and found the recoil easily managed. What is consider manageable recoil certainly a matter of personal preference though.

14. Rick Richard

I have an A Bolt in 300 WSM that is in the low 7lb range and I don't find it too offensive with recoil.