All around rifle help please

So you want quarter minute guaranteed accuracy, 9lb scoped rifle, with only one stock in the universe, that's not too heavy, not too light, not front heavy, not rear heavy, and all this on a budget of 43 cents. (I'm beginning to think you're a woman). Aint gonna happen fella. Save up some more money and put one together. Get you a pawn shop Savage long action, there are always some manners T3 stocks for immediate sell on their site and this stock is what the B&C stock you want was made to look like, then call Jim at Northland shooter supply and get a Criterion 10 twist magnum sporter contour barrel with a lug and nut. When put together it will meet all your needs but is going put you in the 1200$ range, but will be a long range hammer. I just bought an older Savage long action at a pawn shop for 150$ to build a 338 edge on doing the same thing I mentioned above.

Thanks for the reply, but I think you might have missed something in my requirements in translation, though if someone has a .25 minute guaranteed gun for 43 cents, I'll not turn it away :D.

I have explored a semi-custom route, but I am not going that way right now, though may some day down the road, obviously at additional expense. That possibility keeps me thinking Remington, as it gives me the most flexibility in terms of stocks I could choose etc. But otherwise, it's Weatherby for me. Now that I think of it, however, I do remember Savage having a kind of mid-weight barrel that I might like if I can find a stock to suit me. Might look into that. As far as putting even a Savage together myself, not going to happen. Trust me on this, there is a long history that proves that's not a good idea.

But whether I put it together or not, it's really down to which compromises do I accept, which attributes do I need to prioritize. The most critical question I needed answering was around weight, that's where I can't figure it out myself because I have never hunted in places like Montana. And of course, depending on what board you post on, you get different answers to that question. Very different, and rather strident in many cases. At this point, I am splitting the difference in that area and letting my mind wrap itself around that for a few days.

I mentioned on a different board, each person has the attributes they want, some of them are conflicting. The trick is figuring out what things you will 'put up with' in order to have something that works for you. And that applies no matter how expensive or custom the rifle is.

At this point, I am pretty close, and in my 1kish price range. I just have to finally decide which things are the top priority, and which things I am willing to give up to get those, and still have a successful project.

In otherwords, I am still not settled on who's advice to take for certainty, but I'll probably end up somewhere in the middle. That will either be the best balance, or the worst compromise!

If you like Vanguards, what about a Howa stainless? Replace the trigger and add a Karsten cheek rest. Other possible mods include a spacer to increase the LOP, and cutting off 2-4" of barrel to improve stiffness and reduce weight. You could have the muzzle threaded for a brake at the same time.

There is a good chance you will have a <1 MOA rifle that meets your weight requirement of 7-8 lbs and can be adjusted to fit your frame. It may not look as pretty as your favorite stock profile, but would it work?

Bruce, thanks for the idea, it's also something I have explored on several occasions. In fact, just before I bought my CTR, I was told that Howa was bringing in heavy barreled 6.5 creedmore actions, and they would be available in September. I had NO rifles at that point, so did not want to wait, but sometimes think it might have been a good thing to do. Anyway, water under the bridge.

As to hitting the rifle I want, that's not too much of a problem for me to do with a Vanguard. It's deciding what I want, or really, what is best for me to want.

I can get a stainless vanguard that's already threaded at my local Cabelas right now in 300, and it's a good price. I can get an RC'd one. I can get the accuguard. I can get a back country, or have one assembled that is also RC'd. Any one of these will have or accept a stock I like, though it takes a remington to get the one I like best, that and an additional $700 (McMillan).

The question that I have probably done a poor job communicating is around the compromises of weight (portability), overall accuracy assurance (relatively speaking), and long range/volume shooting capabilities.

The first two are somewhat in opposition, so I am trying to find the proper balance point. People on this board accept a heavier rifle to hunt with, it's a LR shooting board. People on other boards want their guns as light as a feather, minus the veins! Finding a middle ground that actually works for me is the part I am trying to do by gathering as many informed opinions as possible.

At the moment, I am leaning towards a rifle and scope combo that is 9-.9.5lbs (so about 7.5 to 8 lbs naked)....that gives up some comfort in portability for an increase in shootability because I do intend to shoot it as much as possible at the range and I just like long range shooting.

But every now and then, I stray to the extremes of much lighter weight, or a heavier setup, both of which serve their particular extremes more effectively. All of which are possible, I just need to settle on what I think will best serve me, personally, and that's really where the hardest decision for me lies.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.