Build around a 6.5mm Barrel for a GREAT Hunting Rifle.

Darryle brought up a good idea with a 280AI X 6.5.
As for barrel weight I don't see a #4 too heavy, but I am used to heavy barrels. This rifle will be sold so it may be too heavy for some hunters.
Thanks for the input.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family!!!!!!!!
When you get it together, if it ends up a 6.5-280 Ackley, I'd be interested in it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Darryle

Sounds like a 6.5/06 a/k/a on a .280 case
Just sayin' …..
Just responding to the answers posted. I am looking at what someone would want in a 6.5mm for THEIR hunting rifle you can have a SA or LA.
These 6.5 are almost the same
6.5X284
6.5X06
6.5X280
6.5 PRC
Then you can go with the steady .260 Rem category
6.5X55
6.5CM

OR bump up to the MAGUMAN 6.5s

A lot of choices and different personal preferences.
The Bartlein #4 Barrel I have is close to 4.5 Lbs @24", could put a Curtis or Defiance Action, McMillan Adjustable Stock. If I wanted to light weight would use a different barrel "2B" @ 22" with a Bell Carlson.
I think the having a little heavier barrel and length, be able to shoot up to 156gr bullets, good, fitted stock would be better suited for longer range shots.
Jill and I have feather lights from .243 B&C stock, to Kimber Montana 270WSM. Great for carrying around all day. I personally feel more comfortable with a heavier rifle shooting past 3-400 yards.
Personally, we have our Gun Bearers carry our stuff so not too worried about weight. :)

THAT is incredible velocity, wish I could duplicate those numbers. I have ran just about every powder in a 6.5 Max with the 123 AH and regardless of powder used, I am seeing significant pressure at roughly 3200. I do only have 22" of a Proof Carbon barrel but certainly 2" would not equate to 300 fps. What brand barrel do you run?
Lejuch,
I think you must have a "slow" barrel. I got over 3600 with the 123s and backed down to 3500 for accuracy in my 6.5 Sherman Max?

If money was of no matter, I'd use the current barrel for another project as I find a #4 heavier than I want to pack. I'd go with a Hawk Hill #2, 7.5 twist, 23.5", 6.5/284 chambered to shoot 156 EOL. Defiance Anti action, McMillan Classic or Game Scout in Edge fill, BDL bottom metal.

Seekins or ARC M10 rings with a 2.5-10x42 NXS on it to round things out.
I'm building a 6.5-284 close to this....defiance, ag composite, TT special, HCA at 27" 1/7.75" throated for the 156's. It's going to be a hammer!

Sounds like a 6.5/06 a/k/a on a .280 case
Just sayin' …..
Nope, case capacity is higher for the 6.5-280 Ackley version, JS

Plus with bushing dies I can load for both the 6.5-280 Ackley and the 280 Ackley, buy one brass, powder and primer.

The 6.5-280 shines with a barrel 26" and up, so I change my vote to 6.5 PRC.

I am definitely going to follow the build though.

Last edited:
Cutting back a gain twist you'll loose some of your final twist. It's not even 7.75 now. If it finishes at around 8 you'll cut out some of the heavies.
Solid info

Leave barrel intact flute it if you need to cut weight

Clymr
Terminus Apollo lite
Tt or geisselle
6.5 saum chambered for 156 eol
Scope choice weight appropriate and what ever flavour you prefer

What powder are you running?
RL26, N565, Norma 217, H4831SC, RL16, Staball 6.5, Hybrid100V, Varget, N540, Norma 202, H1000. Eventually settled on RL26 at about 3180 avg, at this speed groups are consistently small and brass doesn't suffer from pressure abuse. I think the barrel May in fact be the limiting factor.....think I'll try one of the bartlien carbons!

Last edited:
I would build a 6.5-280 Ackley with a 7.75 twist and a 26" long carbon barrel identical to the 280 Ackley I just had built. Mid 8lbs topped with glass.

That barrel you mentioned would work out only slightly heavier and would still make me happy.
Might just as well build a 6.5 Sherman and take advantage of the longer neck. It's essentially a 280 improved, but on a 270 win case.

6.5-.284 in a long action with a Mcmillian Game scout. A 260 AI in a mid length and throated long would be second. if it were a shorter barrel 6.5SS

6.5-.284 in a long action with a Mcmillian Game scout. A 260 AI in a mid length and throated long would be second. if it were a shorter barrel 6.5SS
I would build a 6.5 prc on a med length action with a wto switch lug and have a 300 wsm for my second barrel for elk or at least set it up as a switch lug for that option for the future owner with the 6.5 prc and 300 wsm on a med length action makes both cartridges perform too their fullest potential ,throating mag length restriction , bullet choice etc etc .AG composite stock if possible depending on action . Trigger would be a Diamond Trigger Tech this build would also work in a short action but better in a med or long action