Build around a 6.5mm Barrel for a GREAT Hunting Rifle.

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We have several "Target" rifles that we are in the process of building. Unfortunately we were renovating our shop and I had complications with my spinal cord surgeries. We have a "State of the ART" shop with all new equipment, but just need to finish the electrical and some cosmetic (paneling/ lighting).
We have some awesome builds with all the components with exception of some custom designed JGS Reamers and Whidden dies.
Along the way we picked up some extra components for doing custom builds for other shooters/hunters. Now Jill and I have more rifles than we can use for hunting (never say enough). We picked up a 6.5 mm Bartlein 5R "T" Gain twist 8.75:1 X 7.82:1 #4 Contour 27" blank.
What Stock and Caliber & barrel length would you put this barrel in for an AWESOME hunting rifle? Action & Triggers we can get. Take in mind that this is a 6.5mm so there are a few options on calibers. Want it from Elk on down and a field/carry/backpack rifle. Think of what you would want in YOUR 6.5 and can or can't afford.
We are looking to build something for the 2022 hunting season to have someone have an exceptional rifle.
Thanks
Len & Jill

6.5 Sherman Max 🤣 Seriously though, I love mine, and that length (26" finished) would suite it pretty well for a fast punch. Clymr stock shouldn't look bad if the brake isn't too long. For more traditional, go PRC. I don't like to go less than a PRC for elk use. Shorten barrel to 24" if desired. Mine runs the 123 AH at 3,500 with H1000 with a 24" tube. Pretty sure we could go faster if we played with other options.

Gunwerks clymr
20-22" 6.5 prc

Should balance like a dream off hand and the neg comb/stock design should make spotting shots very nice

6.5 Sherman Max 🤣 Seriously though, I love mine, and that length (26" finished) would suite it pretty well for a fast punch. Clymr stock shouldn't look bad if the brake isn't too long. For more traditional, go PRC. I don't like to go less than a PRC for elk use. Shorten barrel to 24" if desired. Mine runs the 123 AH at 3,500 with H1000 with a 24" tube. Pretty sure we could go faster if we played with other options.
We recently looked at the Sherman 6.5 SS on another post just within the past day. It was a post from over one year ago on the Sherman SS "revived"
Never had/built a Sherman SS but was very interested in seeing the revived post.
Well again looking to build a rifle around a 6.5 mm Bartlein 5R "T" Gain twist 8.75:1 X 7.82:1 #4 Contour 27" blank
What would someone want for their perfect 6.5mm rifle with this barrel.
What caliber, What stock, What barrel length, What Action. What Trigger,
Just asking for ideas because we will eventually build a rifle around this barrel for some lucky hunter.
Thanks
Len & Jill

I would build a 6.5-280 Ackley with a 7.75 twist and a 26" long carbon barrel identical to the 280 Ackley I just had built. Mid 8lbs topped with glass.

That barrel you mentioned would work out only slightly heavier and would still make me happy.

I would build a 6.5-280 Ackley with a 7.75 twist and a 26" long carbon barrel identical to the 280 Ackley I just had built. Mid 8lbs topped with glass.

That barrel you mentioned would work out only slightly heavier and would still make me happy.
So you want a 280 AI necked to a 6.5. Sounds like a real shooter.!
What stock/action/trigger

If money was of no matter, I'd use the current barrel for another project as I find a #4 heavier than I want to pack. I'd go with a Hawk Hill #2, 7.5 twist, 23.5", 6.5/284 chambered to shoot 156 EOL. Defiance Anti action, McMillan Classic or Game Scout in Edge fill, BDL bottom metal.

Seekins or ARC M10 rings with a 2.5-10x42 NXS on it to round things out.

Recent Posts