What would you build with a spare S/A kicking around?

matt_3479

I have collected almost everything I need for a new build. Having those last minute caliber doubts and wondering before I purchase a barrel, what caliber would you build if you had all the components kicking around minus the barrel? Action is a short action 308 bolt face by the way so no magnums/short mags.

Have a 204 ruger, 20 tac, 260. Rem, 7mm, 30-30 + a bunch more but that gives you the jist of what I have and maybe something I should add. What would you build

With a 308 bolt face...perhaps something a bit hotter than what you have, something like a 243AI. That would fill a role you don't appear to have.

I just bought a donor 223 today due to the Gander Mtn liquidation. $334 out the door with a 3-12 scope ready to abuse in a prairie dog town. I'll abuse the barrel as much as I can in one season then screw on a 6X45.

Haha the 6mm's seem to be it. The original plan for the build is a 6x47 lapua. The 6xc and creed were close seconds. But last minute doubts before I ordered a barrel incase I was missing an obvious caliber,

A nice dilemma to be in. Since you have a 20 cal, 22 cal, 26/6.5, 284/7mm, 30, etc...

Seems you need to fill that gap between 22/223/224 and 264/6.5 so the caliber choice is easy 243/6mm.

Now the chambering part is a lot more complicated. There are soooooo man 243/6mm for the .308 bolt face. At the moment if it were me, I'd go 6-47 Lapua. Right size case for the bullets. 7 to 7.5 twist. The Creedmoor is better suited to a 6.5 size projectile.

I wanna keep the 6mm theme going.

6 BRX

Seriously though, great round. Double the life on the barrel, lapua brass and performance coming near the other bigger 6's with nearly 10 grains less less powder. You can do a 6 Dasher if you prefer, but the ease of fire forming the BRX makes it a winner with me.

Both of these do require slight modifications to the magazine or bottom metal though.

I have collected almost everything I need for a new build. Having those last minute caliber doubts and wondering before I purchase a barrel, what caliber would you build if you had all the components kicking around minus the barrel? Action is a short action 308 bolt face by the way so no magnums/short mags.

Have a 204 ruger, 20 tac, 260. Rem, 7mm, 30-30 + a bunch more but that gives you the jist of what I have and maybe something I should add. What would you build
Sounds like you need either a purpose-built LR 7mm-08 AI shooting the Berger 180 Hybrids and 195 Elite Hunters, or a .308 Win built to shoot the Berger 210 VLD's and 215 Hybrids.

They're not that fast out of the gate, but run the numbers...It will blow your mind. I've been shooting 210 VLD's in my .308 since around 2012, and the groups are around .25x to .35x MOA average, and down range ballistics are exceptional...And usually beat-out the 6.5's in every category, other than trajectory, but after about 600 yards, the .30 cal starts to dominate in the drop department.

Sounds like you need either a purpose-built LR 7mm-08 AI shooting the Berger 180 Hybrids and 195 Elite Hunters, or a .308 Win built to shoot the Berger 210 VLD's and 215 Hybrids.

They're not that fast out of the gate, but run the numbers...It will blow your mind. I've been shooting 210 VLD's in my .308 since around 2012, and the groups are around .25x to .35x MOA average, and down range ballistics are exceptional...And usually beat-out the 6.5's in every category, other than trajectory, but after about 600 yards, the .30 cal starts to dominate in the drop department.

Next build after this one will be a 300. Win mag pushing the 215's. I had a factory 300 sendero for years and loved it! But started my first build the 260. Rem and sold it like an idiot to help with funding.

I was originally going do the 300 now but stumbled apon some wicked deals on a manners t5 short action, an atlas tactical short action, badger bottom metal short action so short action came first lol.

So, go for a 1:8 twist heavy barreled 7mm-08 AI pushing the 195's... It is quite impressive and you would definitely not have something that everyone else has at the range or hunting camp...You would definitely have a unique setup that would start many conversations.

A 30 Nosler at 3050-3100 with a 215 is pretty impressive. 25" barrel with mid 80"s grains of H1000. I will be playing with a couple of them soon can't wait

The 6mm's will all be so close to what your .260 already does. Open your bolt face and go with a SAUM or Sherman. I am partial to 7mm, but the 6.5's are laser beams. Then you can turn the 7 rem mag into a 300 if you really need to.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.