What would you build?

There have been many threads about only having one gun. This thread is what would you build for long range hunting and shooting if it's the only one you could have for that. Meaning you can have handguns, shotguns, 30/30 rifles, .22's, etc, BUT ONLY ONE LONG RANGE PIECE.

What would you want?
Action?
Stock/Stocks?
Barrel?
Trigger?
Rings/Mounts?
Scope?
and
Chamber?

Just curious what everyone thinks

This is a KISS (keep it simple stupid) rifle

Action................Pre 64 Mdl 70
Stock.................McMillan Adj. HTG
Barrel.................Brux 26" #5 Contour Chambered for 300 Win Mag
Trigger...............Factory adjusted to 3lbs.
Rings/Mounts......Near rail w/ Seekins rings
Scope................March-Hunting 2.5-25X42 w/ MTR2 Reticle

Rem. SA
Manners T5A
Krieger 26" Sendero contour
Timney trigger
NF rings , EGW base
NXS 5.5 x 22 x 56 MIL -MIL
7mm SAUM

Alot of .284 fans out there. Should I assume you are referring to the infamous 6.5x284?
Can't speak for everyone but I know that I mean a straight .284. the 6.5X284 just isn't big enough to Kill larger game at great distances. the staight .284 shoots the same speeds with a higher B.C. as the 6.5X284 but does it with 40 more grains of bullet weight.

Stiller Tac 30 LA
McMillan HTG ADJ.
Benchmark Barrel finished at 26"
Jewel trigger
Knightforce base, rings, and 5.5x22x50
7MM WSM

338 lapua imp
defiance action
29-30 barrel kreiger rem varmint 9.5 twist
jewell trigger
seekins bottom metal
manners or McMillan stock
vortex pst 6-24x50 sfp
mine shoots 300 smk's at 3000 even with rl-25

Stiller or Defiance Long Action
Figure it is for hunting and not benchrest

Barrel #7 or Medium Palma 30"
Should keep it from being to heavy yet some forward weight

Stock McMillan A 5 or Manners T5A
Want something adjustable

Jewell Trigger
Go with the best

Muscle Brake

Scope 5.5x22x56 NXS NP-R1
MOA scope is a lot easier for most to understand (US anyways)

Cartridge 300 win mag, 300 RUM, 338 Lapua
Only my opinion

I'll take an APS Raptor LRSS in 338 Lapua so that means:

APS Raptor action
Lilja barrel - 28"
Painkiller brake
swap the stock for a Manners T5A
Nightforce NXS 5-22x56 MOAR reticle

Nice to see so many people in complete agreement. LOL! The poor guy who made the original post is probably deciding which of his previous rifles to use on himself. But there is a ton of good info in all the replies. Take a look at John Lazzeroni's website and you will see a plethora of excellent long range rifles, many with parts mentioned in the other replies, with the exception of the Schmidt-Bender scopes. Be prepared to write a big check, but you will eventually get a perfect long range rifle designed by John and you together to suit your specific needs. And when you get past John's characteristic bluster, you will find a kind man who will help you with anything. I spent seven months communicating with him prior to ordering and during the construction of my rifle, and ended up wishing I was his neighbor just to have his wealth of info readily available.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.