Which custom build would you go with?

Which custom would you go with under my conditions that I listed?

• 300 win mag

Votes: 44 31.0%
  • 300 RUM

Votes: 45 31.7%
  • 338 LM (just because)

Votes: 53 37.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LTLR,
What rifle or components is your 338LM?

The best of these three for 1000 yard elk is the 338 Lapua. The best bullet for hunting with the 338 Lapua to 1000 yards is the Cutting Edge D62 225 grain .64 BC bullet. Nothing else will compare to it ballistically or with on game performance to 1000 yards. My accuracy loads out of my 26" barrel 338 Lapua hovers right around 3300 fps.

Sako TRG.

It is a light backpacker 1000 yard rifle and no more so the best performance is with the lighter bullet. If you think you will shoot beyond 1200 yards the 252 grain cutting edge at .72 bc or the new 260 grain at .76 bc would be better. The 252 shoots around 3100 fps out of the 26" and I have not tried the 260's.

338 lapua, That is after toting a 340 WBY for 20 yrs. w/ great success. Now shooting a 338 Norma

Sako TRG.

It is a light backpacker 1000 yard rifle and no more so the best performance is with the lighter bullet. If you think you will shoot beyond 1200 yards the 252 grain cutting edge at .72 bc or the new 260 grain at .76 bc would be better. The 252 shoots around 3100 fps out of the 26" and I have not tried the 260's.
LTLR- What does your TRG weigh , scoped out? Like the looks of that platform

I've got to vote for the 300 Win just because I'm about to build one. I think for me, it will be my first true LR rig, and without the excessive recoil, I believe I'll be able to enjoy learning more than I would with a Lapua, and also the cost has to be considered. Thats my .02 and my 100th post. :D
Nimrod

I am going to have a cust rifle made some time soon. My goal with this rifle is to be able to take large game as small as deer and big as oryx and elk at 1k and under. My choices that I have decided on are the 300 win mag, 300 RUM and 338 LM (just because I can?). I have asked a couple of knowledgable guys on here about this but thought it would be interesting to put it as a poll. Which would you choose and why?
plenty of power wide range of bullet weights,flat shooting and can find bullets at most gun stores
i have one

Sako TRG.

I also voted for the 338LM. I'd go 24" though.....I'm over the hill further than LTLR is.:D Can't think of a penalty for over gunned .....total failure is an option with under gunned.......been there done that (1 time)....270 for 45 yrs then (total failure) graduated to Tikka T3 SS Lite 338wm - no brake. Nellie is one sweet girl.

You can make this very simple with your custom. Call Mcmillan and get the EOL Outdoorsman and you will have your custom now and not wait. You could get it in 338 Lapua and be set for anything for the rest of your life and the barrel would last forever also used as a hunting rifle. The 300 EOL mag would also be good but the barrel life on 300 RUM's is not as good as the 338 Lapua. If you get the 300 winchester you will be buying another rifle soon as your range increases and you want something bigger so get the lapua now and be done with it.

You can make this very simple with your custom. Call Mcmillan and get the EOL Outdoorsman and you will have your custom now and not wait. You could get it in 338 Lapua and be set for anything for the rest of your life and the barrel would last forever also used as a hunting rifle. The 300 EOL mag would also be good but the barrel life on 300 RUM's is not as good as the 338 Lapua. If you get the 300 winchester you will be buying another rifle soon as your range increases and you want something bigger so get the lapua now and be done with it.

I'm not trying to be rude in anyway at all in this post. I know McMillan does top notch work and builds awesome guns. The bare gun costs $5670 and if you put a nightforce scope on it and all the accessories, it runs $8009. I added up all my parts and my custom WITH a used nightforce will be just under what the bare gun from McMillan costs. I am not saying that their guns are not worth the money because I know they are worth every penny but those are top notch guns made for top notch incomes. Around $5000 is a big difference between there and $8000. If you don't think it's a big difference, just ask my wife, she can give you 3000 reasons why it's a big difference. :D

Korhil, You get what you pay for. Run around and try to collect parts like you or buy the best and have it delivered. The cost of the mcmillan is in line with other customs from top shops. I would call mcmillan a top shop.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.