Which Would You Choose?

cohunter14

Got a quick question for you all...I am going on an antelope hunt in a couple weeks and I am bringing a newer hunter along. He is going to use one of my other rifles that I've tinkered with, but don't use for hunting too often. The rifle is a .308. My question is, if the accuracy is similar on each, which of these bullets would you use: a 200 grain Accubond or a 178 grain AMAX?

Based on the expected conditions and current loads, here is what the two bullets would look like at 400 and 500 yards:

400:
Accubond: 36.3" of drop, 1,791fps, 1,424 ft/lbs
AMAX: 26.5" of drop, 1,962fps, 1,521 ft/lbs

500:
Accubond: 69.2" of drop, 1,685fps, 1,260 ft/lbs
AMAX: 52.6" of drop, 1,828fps, 1,320 ft/lbs

I'm not obviously concerned about the drop since these distances would be dialed on the scope, but I put that in there anyway. The AMAX numbers are definitely better, but I'm wondering if it's enough of a difference to keep someone from using an Accubond instead. Max shot will be 500 yards, so nothing beyond that.

Did you say antelope or moose lol. AMAX all day long. That Accubond is too heavily constructed for a 300 Ultra on antelope for my tastes.

Either one will work.

I've used the 200 Accubond on a few antelope, but started faster than the .308. Your numbers show your terminal velocity under the 1800 fps Nosler recommends for expansion.

I haven't used the A-max on animals, but limited to the 2 choices you provided, I would use this one, provided accuracy was sufficient.

Other choices exist-the Accubond long range is supposed to open better at low velocity, Berger, Hammer has been working on low velocity openings. Given you're starting with the .308, low velocity expansion is high on the list of factors in bullet choice.

Curious as to how you chose these 2.

Of your 2 choices, definitely the A-max. For antelope in a 308, a Berger or the trusty nosler ballistic tip tip 150 or 165 grain would be ideal. In my experience, the accubond needs plenty of velocity to expand properly...

I have used both bullets in question in harvesting antelopes except in .300 WM and both will serve you well.

IIWY, I'd used whichever is more accurate out of the two, esp. at your max range.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Curious as to how you chose these 2.

Honestly, I had some 200 grain accubonds leftover from another gun and loaded those up a couple of years ago when I was using this gun for close range elk hunting. The amax's were more of a strategic purchase...I figured that was a better weight for the .308. They are inexpensive as well, which allows me to do a lot of plinking with the gun.

Honestly, I had some 200 grain accubonds leftover from another gun and loaded those up a couple of years ago when I was using this gun for close range elk hunting. The amax's were more of a strategic purchase...I figured that was a better weight for the .308. They are inexpensive as well, which allows me to do a lot of plinking with the gun.

Makes sense.

Shooting large game at 500 yards with a 308 Win.........is asking a lot from a small round. Shooting man targets and shooting animals are different.

I suggest keeping shots 400 yards and under for the 308 Win on large game.......the 180gr Accubond should be perfect with
IMR 4064, Reloader 15 New Production, and Varget........are the 3 best powders I have used in the 308 Win.

178gr ELD X Hornady should be excellent also.

The 308 Win a proven performer in my gun cabinet.

To me, the numbers ARE the difference. AMAX = Less recoil, better ballistics. Why is there even a choice? With a good shot, a lope won't know the 32 gr difference. At .308 speeds, the AMAX should hold together just fine. If it's a real concern, put some ballistic gel out at distance and see what works best.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.