Which ammo would you choose?

• Berger 156gr

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Norma 143gr

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Your stupid if you use either of those

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters
I've been on two hunts for elk where a 6.5 prc and the 156 Berger was used they hit hard and kill elk with out much issue of the trigger slapping monkey behind the gun put the bullet where it should go. But again we live in a world where long range is cool so we don't practice so we shoot wayyy further than we should

I've been on two hunts for elk where a 6.5 prc and the 156 Berger was used they hit hard and kill elk with out much issue of the trigger slapping monkey behind the gun put the bullet where it should go. But again we live in a world where long range is cool so we don't practice so we shoot wayyy further than we should
Good info!

Have you decided which direction you will go? Looking forward to the field report and GOOD LUCK!!!
I was hoping this poll would give me some more direction. The Berger's are slightly better with accuracy for me, as suggested, but both are well sub MOA. The poll is currently 17 to 18 in favor of the Norma, so pretty evenly split. I wished I could have gotten the Terminal Ascents to fly well, but they just wouldn't. I'll probably go with the Berger's as so many people have reports of success with them, in general, and the guns are currently sighted for those. I know how many clicks to get them back to the other bullet zero, but will probably just let the Berger's have their chance.

Here's my take. You can't put up as many pills as you want but until you personally see what that bullet does terminally you'll never know.and this over a number of different animals. Everyone's thoughts on terminal preformance are different. My buddy just crushed a bull at 500 and said he'd never use that bullet again. Me I can't wait to run that bullet through an animal

Which ever one you have the most of, so both of you can practice, practice, practice.

If there is an even split, set one up with the Norma and one with the Berger. More ammo for each, thus more practice...

Guy shoots at an Elk at 600+ and hits ribs, he's got a dead Elk with a tag on its antlers. Add wind to that formula and he reads it wrong, he may have all kinds of tracking and a lost Elk. Bondstrike bullet eliminates that problem if the bullet hits a shoulder. I love Bergers for lung shots because they destroy everything inside. Even exit many times as well.

I've killed 4 bulls with 175 Eh out of 280AI with perfect performance. A 6.5 PRC shooting a 156 ballistically is about identical. I would go with the 156. And if you can't hit an 18-inch vital zone circle on an elk doesn't matter what bullet you choose

Everybody has some stories on how well bullets work and don't work. Placement trumps all. If I hit a big bull on the shoulder with a hollow point bullet, it COULD be disaster. It wouldn't be a place I'd put the crosshairs. I've killed a few exactly on the shoulder with bonded 160 partitions and they dropped on the spot. It's all about construction IF you can't hit where the crosshairs are put. Bergers are super accurate and most guys that shoot them shoot them very well. Those are the ones that kill Elk Everytime with them.

The elk hunt with my dad is fast approaching. The 6.5 PRC's really like the Norma 143gr Bondstrike and the Berger EOL 156gr Hybrid. Of those two, which would you choose for guided, private ranch, likely 300 yards or less. Any explanation of your choices would be welcomed.
Bond strike if your gun likes them great for elk

Well, dad has been under the weather so he hasn't got to hunt much but I was able to bag what was technically a 6x6 but with a big club antler on his left and a 10pt muley. I went with the Berger. They worked great. My shot on the elk was almost 300 yards, broadside, the first shot was a little high and a little back from where I wanted it but he took about 10 steps and stood there with his head down and I hit him again and he crumpled. One shot likely would have done the trick but my guide said hit him again. The mule deer was a close shot, frontal. Devastated him. Went about 20 yards and everything in his chest was destroyed.