• Berger 156gr

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Norma 143gr

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Your stupid if you use either of those

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

doctorjj

The elk hunt with my dad is fast approaching. The 6.5 PRC's really like the Norma 143gr Bondstrike and the Berger EOL 156gr Hybrid. Of those two, which would you choose for guided, private ranch, likely 300 yards or less. Any explanation of your choices would be welcomed.

I can't, with clear conscience, answer the poll!

While I would not use either of the two bullets listed, and may not agree with those choosing to use them…..I will not call them stupid!

If I had no other option, used under the conditions listed….the 156 Hybrid! As cup and core bullets shed a lot of weight….I want to start out with the highest practical bullet weight!

But that's just me! memtb

I did a lot of research regarding this topic and I initially had considered 300 win mag or 300 wsm, which I already own guns in both. But after the research, and mostly based on the guide's recommendation, I bought a couple of 6.5 PRC's. It will be a combo hunt also for mule deer. The guide actually recommended 6.5 Creedmoor and said they had been having tremendous success with that caliber on elk and he steered me away from a true magnum. I suspected, although he didn't say this, that a lot of clients don't shoot magnums very well. I knew we could and do, but again, simply went with the suggestion and my research seemed to indicate that given reasonable distances, proper discipline for shot selection and good shot, the 6.5's should work very well.

I can't, with clear conscience, answer the poll!

While I would not use either of the two bullets listed, and may not agree with those choosing to use them…..I will not call them stupid!

If I had no other option, used under the conditions listed….the 156 Hybrid! As cup and core bullets shed a lot of weight….I want to start out with the highest practical bullet weight!

But that's just me! memtb
Fwiw the norma 143 is bonded

The elk hunt with my dad is fast approaching. The 6.5 PRC's really like the Norma 143gr Bondstrike and the Berger EOL 156gr Hybrid. Of those two, which would you choose for guided, private ranch, likely 300 yards or less. Any explanation of your choices would be welcomed.
I did a lot of research regarding this topic and I initially had considered 300 win mag or 300 wsm, which I already own guns in both. But after the research, and mostly based on the guide's recommendation, I bought a couple of 6.5 PRC's. It will be a combo hunt also for mule deer. The guide actually recommended 6.5 Creedmoor and said they had been having tremendous success with that caliber on elk and he steered me away from a true magnum. I suspected, although he didn't say this, that a lot of clients don't shoot magnums very well. I knew we could and do, but again, simply went with the suggestion and my research seemed to indicate that given reasonable distances, proper discipline for shot selection and good shot, the 6.5's should work very well.
First, I envy anyone who hunts with their Dad. My Dad was not a hunter; USN retired and was too busy providing for us. I did a lot of fishing with him, but I never had the opportunity to take him out hunting before his passing. Have fun and treasure the moments.

I do not have 6.5 PRC, but I have a .264 WM. I also have a 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser and 6.5 CM. The guide is correct; the 6.5 CM is capable at 300Y, with the right bullet and shot placement, of course, but it would not be my preference. Between the .26 Cal you noted, I would pick the PRC over the CM. I prefer .30 (I have -06/Gibbs, 2 .300 WSM, 3 .300 WSM, and .30 LARA) over .26 Cal. I would rather see a hunter/shooter that can handle the 6.5 CM effectively/confidently than a mediocre one with magnums.

Since you did a lot of research, do not complicate it unnecessarily. They are two different bullet designs, but either bullet will perform on elk at your range parameters. It boils down to personal preference; Berger bullets are fragmenting bullets, and you may or may not get a pass-through. If you want a pass-through, go with the Bondstrike. The beauty of Berger bullets is that they do not need a pass-through to be effective. Another advantage is you reduce the risk of shooting what is behind the target. These are two attributes that led me to switch to Berger. I was a long-time Nosler NP, BT, and AB.

Happy safe hunting.

Ed

That's Great ….. Having a Good Hunting Adventure with Dad is Priceless for you Both. I sense your are considering your dads best interests & chance for success.
Use the rifle caliber & bullet combination that you each are most Comfortable, Proficient, & have Confidence in using.

Have a Great Hunt !!!

Either of your 6.5 bullet choice's would work given the above criteria.
I would have recommended "Other" if it was a choice selection.

Also don't rule out your other rifle caliber
Options you or Dad own. Especially if they
Are Proven Deadly favorites.