What is a typical mountain rifle build?

The more I hear about Manners the more I want to go with them. I've never heard of a company sending potential clients units to try out. I have already been thinking I want their EH1 but I've seriously considered the EH2 and EH3 as well. It would be really nice to try them all out and it sounds like I can. Thank you for the information.

The current plan for the barrel is a McGowen #3, fluted, 24 inches long and threaded for 9/16"x24 threads. I was hoping contact McGowan before I ordered though and see if they can give me a close estimate of weight with and without fluting just incase I can get by without fluting and still make weight. Although, I'm guessing I'll end up fluting it regardless because like you said, the rifle will probably end up heavier then my on paper estimates.
I have an mcs-t and really like it. Same cheek height and forearm dimensions as EH1 but has a sporter stock style butt end. They're a quality stock, but from observing mine, not quite as stiff as my mcmillan or ag composite stocks.

I think you can do much better on weight than your last parts list, as others have noted. I usually think of a mountain rifle as 6.5 lbs and less. I have a 6mm #1 contour Krieger chambered in 6mm Dasher that weights 42 oz at 24". If it was a 30 cal barrel, it would be 4 oz lighter.

I think you can do much better on weight than your last parts list, as others have noted. I usually think of a mountain rifle as 6.5 lbs and less. I have a 6mm #1 contour Krieger chambered in 6mm Dasher that weights 42 oz at 24". If it was a 30 cal barrel, it would be 4 oz lighter.

I agree, I am looking at my list still seeing how close I can get to 8lbs but I don't think I want to get any lighter than that with an improved long-action cartridge for fear of decreased accuracy. If I was shooting a lighter cartridge like a 6mm Dasher or similar cartridge to you I would be pushing harder to lighten the rifle past 8lbs. I'm young-ish (or so I tell myself) and fairly fit, if I can't haul a 8-9lbs rifle in the mountains, what am I even doing out there in the first place? That's my current mentality anyways.

I hauled a 12 lb'er this year. Strapped and balanced on the pack, it was no problem even with a deer.

I hauled a 12 lb'er this year. Strapped and balanced on the pack, it was no problem even with a deer.
This year I carried a 13lbs Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 338 Lapua with an SWFA HD 10X42mm scope for whitetail deer (it was the only rifle shooting straight). I was dreading lugging that rifle around but I only noticed it when my craptastic sling would slide it down my shoulder. Never buy a 550 paracord sling... But the rifle is going with me for a South Dakota buffalo hunt next year. I wouldn't hesitate to take it elk hunting if it was my only rifle.

Nope , hardly kicks with the Little bastard break . I've ---- 210s and 220s out of it. Kicks like a 223 id say
That's why I have breaks on everything with any recoil at all.....with 4 shoulder surgeries and 12 screws in my right shoulder, I want as little recoil as possible......makes shooting so much more enjoyable!

That's why I have breaks on everything with any recoil at all.....with 4 shoulder surgeries and 12 screws in my right shoulder, I want as little recoil as possible......makes shooting so much more enjoyable!

I still don't understand why brakes on rifles aren't a more prevalent item on factory rifles in the industry where it seems like most shooters/hunters have to buy the biggest and baddest caliber (usually 300WM around here) for a whitetail they'll shoot from less than 100 yards.

I have built a Cpl dozen ultralight/lightweight rifles and this is how I break it down weight wise when we have a goal in mind for the scoped weight, Talleys and a VX3i 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS scope add 1lb to the bare rifle weight

Ultra Light 5-6lbs scoped
Lightweight 6-7.5lbs scoped
Standard 7.5-9.5lbs scoped
Wheelbarrow rifles over 9.5lbs scoped

One of cheapest routes to build a custom Ultralight/Mountain rifle is pick up and used Kimber Montana in either a 84L or 84M action and order up a #1 or #2 contour ( I use mostly Benchmark Barrels)( contour example )

The Kimber Montana has a kevlar Carbon Fiber stock thats easily altered ie-cheekpiece, high comb or palm swell, all stainless controlled round feed action and an excellent adjustable trigger add in a barrel and your good to go, some pictures of rifles my gunsmith builds for me on Kimber 84M donor rifles

my everyday hunting rifle Kimber Montana 84M action, 6.5-284, 5lbs(no scope) 22" #1 contour Benchmark with a brake 24"

Kimber Montana 84M, 6.5 Creedmoor 5lbs 12oz with scope, 22" #1 Benchmark Barrel

Kimber Montana 84M 7mm-08, 21" #1 Benchmark 6lbs scoped

my nephews Rem 700 280AI, Wildcat Stock, Timney Trigger, 26" Benchmark #1 contour, 6lbs on its own or 7lbs scoped

Husqvarna H5000 280 AI, Wildcat Stock, Timney Trigger, 24" #1 contour Benchmark, 7lb 3oz scoped

Last edited:
I have built a Cpl dozen ultralight/lightweight rifles and this is how I break it down weight wise when we have a goal in mind for the scoped weight, Talleys and a VX3i 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS scope add 1lb to the bare rifle weight

Ultra Light 5-6lbs scoped
Lightweight 6-7.5lbs scoped
Standard 7.5-9.5lbs scoped
Wheelbarrow rifles over 9.5lbs scoped

One of cheapest routes to build a custom Ultralight/Mountain rifle is pick up and used Kimber Montana in either a 84L or 84M action and order up a #1 or #2 contour ( I use mostly Benchmark Barrels)( contour example )

The Kimber Montana has a kevlar Carbon Fiber stock thats easily altered ie-cheekpiece, high comb or palm swell, all stainless controlled round feed action and an excellent adjustable trigger add in a barrel and your good to go, some pictures of rifles my gunsmith builds for me on Kimber 84M donor rifles

my everyday hunting rifle Kimber Montana 84M action, 5lbs(no scope) 22" #1 contour Benchmark with a brake 24"

Kimber Montana 84M, 6.5 Creedmoor 5lbs 12oz with scope, 22" #1 Benchmark Barrel

Kimber Montana 84M 7mm-08, 21" #1 Benchmark 6lbs scoped

my nephews Rem 700 280AI, Wildcat Stock, Timney Trigger, 26" Benchmark #1 contour, 6lbs on its own or 7lbs scoped

Husqvarna H5000 280 AI, Wildcat Stock, Timney Trigger, 24" #1 contour Benchmark, 7lb 3oz scoped

If Kimber didn't hate left handed shooters I would love to buy one but your post makes me think I should bump my McGowan barrel down from a #3 fluted to a #2 fluted. I'm used to big ol' heavy target barrels and the thought of a #1 contour is still just foreign to me. Great rifles you have there. I'd be happy to shoot any of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts