Absolutely Torn: Savage and Tikka

Make a call to Kevin at Stockade. Then you'll understand why so many people recommend Stockade.

The closest comparison would be to compare quality between Stockade and HS Precision. But when you get to order custom no cost to fit your specific rifle, the Stockade easily out paces the HS.

I'd be the first to admit that the Stockade is not equal to a Manners or McMillan in quality, but considering the price, availability, and style options it sure makes it tough to choose.

I'm not a rabid Stockade lover, just a very satisfied customer.

Everybody, pics are more than welcome :D

Here's my Stockade.

S8000416.jpg

I didnt have the patients to read everyones opinions but here is what I have to say. I own Both Tikkas and savages. Tikkas are super light and I absolutly love my T3 lite it shoots great but I think it could shoot better. It has a floating recoil lug which I believe is the reason it doesnt shoot even better but it is an excellent shooter none the less. My savage is a 243 and it shoots amazingly also but is a little heavier. I have never had a durability issue with either and have carried the tikka a lot in some rough places. If I had to put my money on one though it would be a savage with the accustock. i just dont think you can beat them. But I think its just your personal preference. I pick tikkas because they are lighter but thats just me.

Mikegun)

I think they are pretty even all around. I would personally go Savage because it is much easier and less expensive to rebarrel and I always buy American all else equal.

I didnt have the patients to read everyones opinions but here is what I have to say. I own Both Tikkas and savages. Tikkas are super light and I absolutly love my T3 lite it shoots great but I think it could shoot better. It has a floating recoil lug which I believe is the reason it doesnt shoot even better but it is an excellent shooter none the less. My savage is a 243 and it shoots amazingly also but is a little heavier. I have never had a durability issue with either and have carried the tikka a lot in some rough places. If I had to put my money on one though it would be a savage with the accustock. i just dont think you can beat them. But I think its just your personal preference. I pick tikkas because they are lighter but thats just me.

Mikegun)

If you have a Tikka T3, it does not have a floating recoil lug. That puppy is expoxied to the stock.

What do you mean by "floating recoil lug?"

No sir its notI have taken it apart many times and there is not a stitch of epoxy in there I can pull it out turn it over flip it around whatever I like. My buddy purchased an Identical rifle so I am gonna take that sucker apart and see if his is epoxied in. if it is Me and Beretta are gonna have a little chat. is it supposed to be epoxied to the barrel or the stock? cause I can see how that little chunk of aluminum could go on either side.

If you have a Tikka T3, it does not have a floating recoil lug. That puppy is expoxied to the stock.

What do you mean by "floating recoil lug?"

On both of my T3s, the recoil lug can be removed from the stock. They are not epoxied to the stock.

Ok thanks. I was a little upset for a minute. My Tikka 595 Whitetail hunter is not like that but My T3 definatly is I am glad its not just Mine 3006savage did you buy yours used? maybe the guy before had it bedded.

Mikegun)

Ok thanks. I was a little upset for a minute. My Tikka 595 Whitetail hunter is not like that but My T3 definatly is I am glad its not just Mine 3006savage did you buy yours used? maybe the guy before had it bedded.

Mikegun)

I think you meant DWW not 3006savage above for the question about a used gun.

I own the Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08, the thing I like about this rifle is I don't need to add anything other than scope to have a rifle more capable than my skills! I am a retread hunter after a multi decade hiatus. I shoot 1.25" groups at 100 yards with the cheapest Winchester silver box. I am absolutely confident this rifle with handloads and more practice can shoot .5"-.75" this is from a rifle out of box, just add a scope. I like the cheap stock its a hunting rifle that gets scratched up and the more scratches means the more fun I've had. The best thing about the Tikka T3 Lite is it weighs a whisker under 7lbs with scope. . Some guys can shoot 400 yards with a 7x scope I could never do that. I wish I had put a top shelf 4x15 on it as I now realize the longer range potential, especially since I am getting into handloading. With a .270 you will experience the same go for a top shelf 4x15 and you will be knocking down mulies at 400 yards no problem. I think the T3 Lite is lighter than the Savage I recommend the T3 Lite. Get a top shelf scope, the right ammo and that is all you need for Tikka to perform like a $3K hunting rifle.

Hey Freeman, How did you like the 7mm-08? I have been looking at that caliber and have been unsure having never shot one. I am more wondering on its groups at 400yrds. I have heard great things about that caliber from the users and more bad things from the "not-so" user. :)

What is your oppinion?

A friend and i both wanted 243's he got a tikka after he got caught up in all of the talk about how great this new rifle was from some other friends of his. Me being a savage Fan i got a savage. he put a Leupold 6.5x20x50 LR on his and at the time all i had to put on mine was a 4.5x14 burris that came on a package deal a friend had bought. he got his barrel broke in about a month and a half and had about 150 rounds down it. he kept telling me how great this rifle was and how great it shot and i should have got a tikka and not one of the old junk savages and i had screwed up. i got so sick of hearing this crap i told him i would bet him rifle for rifle that out of 5 - 5 shot groups the savage would come out ahead. after telling him over and over to put his money where his mouth was r shut up. He finally agree to do it after i put him on the spot in front of a bunch friends and made him look like a DA well i guess that part came later.

we set out to shoot 2-5 shot groups at a 100 2@200 and 1@300
Well lets just say he better be glad I'm a dam good friend and didn't make him stand up to our deal cause he got his *** handed to him on every group. the tikka was shooting 7/8-3/4"moa groups and my savage shot 5/8-1/2 moa groups. tikka are not bad looking but I'll stay with the old junk savages any day.

Hey Freeman, How did you like the 7mm-08? I have been looking at that caliber and have been unsure having never shot one. I am more wondering on its groups at 400yrds. I have heard great things about that caliber from the users and more bad things from the "not-so" user. :)

What is your oppinion?
Out to 400 yards it's fine on deer size game, probably better calibers for a moose or big elk at that range. I am very happy with my Tikka T3 lite in 7-08, do wish I would have gone with the 6.5 Swede instead, as I think the 6.5 is a slightly more accurate caliber and a little easier to handload for. 400 yards or less any big game caliber works. If you haven't bought one yet and plan on handloading go with the 6.5 Swede Tikka makes them in T3 lite, that caliber would be slightly more accurate and easier to handload for. Otherwise I love the Tikka T3 lite in 7mm-08. Actually I can sight in my 7-08 with any off the shelf 140 gr ammo and it is still in the kil zone at 300 yards with any other 140 gr ammo without any scope adjustments.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.