Absolutely Torn: Savage and Tikka

I know what you mean by feeling a rifle and not liking it. A store clerk handed me a Stevens and I couldn't believe how cheap it felt. It turned me off of buying a rifle at that store.

I didn't have much money to spend on a rifle and the Howa was a good buy for me. I wanted a Vanguard for $399 like on the advertisements here, but no one in my area sold them. And if they did they sure weren't $399!

I hope you find something you'll like for decades to come.

I don't own a Tikka but have a SAKO M995 and Savage 111F, both in .300 WM and are shooters. My Savage is not the prettiest but is my go to gun and has never failed me.

Both choice rifles have the potential out of the box accuracy and IMHO, you cannot go wrong for the $$$. Let's face it, this is not going to be your last or only rifle ... the more you contemplate on which one to get the longer you are not afforded to shoot them.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

I actually learned a great deal from Chuck Hawks when I was getting started, and for that, I am grateful. I must say that I have since outgrown his mentorship in many ways.

He is a decent resource for beggining hunters with limited resources. He encourages hunters to keep it simple and practice more than just buying 1 box of shells every 3 - 4 deer seasons and only check the point of impact with a couple of rounds before opening day. He advises beginning shooters to be cautious about excessive recoil that will discourage them from getting the practice that they so sorely need. These are good things. In this world, long range = 300 - 400 yrds, and with limited preparation, those are reasonable guidelines.

The part of the shooting world that Mr. Hawks addresses is very simple compared to that of the long range hunter. Therefore, he really isn't very helpful to anyone with serious interest in long range shooting willing to invest lots of time and money into their hobby. It's just apples and oranges.

People need to shoot more and stress less IMHO.

A quick search on various internet forums and boards will clearly prove that almost all T3 owners are happy with their rifle's accuracy.

I owned a T3 Hunter with wood stock in 6.5x55. Accuracy was good - not great by my standards ( 1 moa ), but it was a nice, lightweight rifle for the money.
The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a Savage (Ugly 270WSM 12 Hvy 26" Barrel: 3/4" at 300 yds 140 gr AB at 3340 fps handloads) - way sub-moa but heavy!

I would recommend a new/modern Savage over the Tikka T3. Simple fact is that either rifle will give you an opportunity to learn, gain experience and improve your skills.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
Peace.

ps. I know we are talking about relatively inexpensive rifles, but add to that the cost of reloading equipment, range finders, wind meter, ballistics software, optics, and on and on it goes. There is no such thing as cheap long range hunting. So...ENJOY YOUR INVESTMENT!

Last edited:
The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a Savage (Ugly 270WSM 12 Hvy 26" Barrel: 3/4" at 300 yds 140 gr AB at 3340 fps handloads) - way sub-moa but heavy!

That is the same rifle and cal I shoot and the same bullet I shoot @ 3341fps, kinda cool to see someone doing the exact same thing :D
I have shot two six shot groups at 1015yrds with it that only had 2 3/8 in virticle, I had 13in of wind drift as I was not comprnsating just shooting to see what it does on paper. I have shot many larger groups also but it basically boils down to my reloading and getting sloppy, not the rifle. 12.5 lbs with everything, can get kinda heavy lugging around but there is a definite pay of at the shot!!

... I finally decided on the .270 Win ...This is going to be almost solely used as a hunting rifle...

What it all boils down to is: which is likely to be more accurate out of the box?

I own the Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08, the thing I like about this rifle is I don't need to add anything other than scope to have a rifle more capable than my skills! I am a retread hunter after a multi decade hiatus. I shoot 1.25" groups at 100 yards with the cheapest Winchester silver box. I am absolutely confident this rifle with handloads and more practice can shoot .5"-.75" this is from a rifle out of box, just add a scope. I like the cheap stock its a hunting rifle that gets scratched up and the more scratches means the more fun I've had. The best thing about the Tikka T3 Lite is it weighs a whisker under 7lbs with scope. . Some guys can shoot 400 yards with a 7x scope I could never do that. I wish I had put a top shelf 4x15 on it as I now realize the longer range potential, especially since I am getting into handloading. With a .270 you will experience the same go for a top shelf 4x15 and you will be knocking down mulies at 400 yards no problem. I think the T3 Lite is lighter than the Savage I recommend the T3 Lite. Get a top shelf scope, the right ammo and that is all you need for Tikka to perform like a $3K hunting rifle.

While new here at LRH...I am certainly not new to shooting or rifles..I've been at it most of my adult life..

I've had several 270 rifles before..from single shots to bolt guns..Some have been 1 holers with all bullet weights..some have been boat anchors..Almost none of them have been moa rifles out of the box..save for 1 pre USRA model 70 Westerner..and 1 Sub MOA Weatherby 270

I've also owned several Savages as well..and well..they have never really gave me any confidence as they came from the box..but I knew if I wanted them to be excellent rifles I would have to tweak it some to get good performance..

I have only shot 1 Tika lite and that was in 243..Accuracy wasn't anything to write home about with it..as it was a friends who had just purchased it a few days before for last years deer season..He spent a lot more for it over the Savage/Stevens line..as well as the Vangards from Weatherby..or any of the other budget rifles out there..Marlin/Remington/Mosseberg..

The bad thing to me (it might not mean anything for you) about the Savages here in my area..is their resale value is in the toilet..You can pick up several different Savages for the $200-$300 dollar range..same for the Vangards..

A couple things I've learned..get a rifle that has a ton of aftermarket stuff made for it if you like to tweak them..Look at the resale value of your choosen rifle in the used gun racks in your area..

If I only had a few hundred bucks to spend..I would opt for a used 700 Remington bolt..They have the highest resale I've seen..and the most after market parts available around here..and generally can be excellent shooters with a minumum of TLC..

Mac

Beware of buying used rifles. How much of that barrel life was shot out? How's the throat?

Remingtons? Really? By the time to replace the trigger, possibly have to true the action and often replace the barrel, re-bed the action to the stock, you ain't exactly talking about walmart prices anymore. Your mileage may vary.

If you can afford a true custom rifle that's a different story. Out of the box, a remington won't come close to either the Tikka T3 or Savage in terms of accuracy today - potential? Sure...Likely? not so much.

Good Luck

My Tikka T3s in 7mm Rem Mag are tack drivers. Harvested several animals from 720 to 850 yds with handloaded ammo. T3 stands for tack driver for 3 shots. After the third shot, the groups will open up some in the magnum cartridges as the thin-tubed barrels begin to heat up.

In all fairness, I've never owned, shot, or even touched a Savage or Stevens. Those may be very good rifles also for their purchase price. But I've yet to talk to the owner of a T3 that wasn't happy with out of the box accuracy. The T3s are hard to beat if you're looking for a relatively lightweight carry rifle at a relatively low cost. If you work up a handload tuned to your specific T3, it shouldn't be hard to get them performing up to LR hunting potential. A relative owns and operates a gun shop and many T3 owners report very good results with factory ammo.

Beware of buying used rifles. How much of that barrel life was shot out? How's the throat?

Remingtons? Really? By the time to replace the trigger, possibly have to true the action and often replace the barrel, re-bed the action to the stock, you ain't exactly talking about walmart prices anymore. Your mileage may vary.

If you can afford a true custom rifle that's a different story. Out of the box, a remington won't come close to either the Tikka T3 or Savage in terms of accuracy today - potential? Sure...Likely? not so much.

Good Luck

Well..yes & no..You can get some real lemons..no matter what make or model..new or used..but if a person has a reputable dealer they do buisness with..then they will help them out..

Remingtons have a pretty good trigger on them to start with..from my experiance..and are pretty cheap/easy to tune..and their stocks while not perfect everytime have usually been better than some of the other cheap stocks I've seen come on some of the newer bargin rifles..The one that came on my new 30-06 XHR is a over modeled Houge..and it IMHO is way better than any bargin synthetic Savage/Stevens/Weatherby/Marlin/Mosseberg put out..

Buying used can be a gamble..no question about it..But..it can also be a real goldmine in todays ecnomic crappy times..Picking up a very good rifle/scope combo in 270 isn't too difficult..and can save a lot of money..

Mac

Please forgive me if I was offensive in anyway. I guess a guy's got to make a decision and go from there...Bottom line is that you can get a a bad shooter from any company...

I guess I assumed "older" when I read used. The new Remingtons come with greatly improved triggers. From there, I guess it depends upon the model chosen. The sendero's have always had aluminum bedding block in a decent stock - but they cost a lot more the the two rifles in question.

I honestly don't think the guy can go wrong with either a Tikka T3 or New Savage if the goal is to get the most bang for the buck in accuracy out of the box for a small cost.

Last edited:
My experience with the savage model 116 fsak in 300 rum was a 1" group @ 300 yds off the bench, out of the box with the remington priemier 150 gr. scirracco(?) using the burris bal-plex, and I'm no competition shooter. Also my dad has the tikka 300 wsm and he's happy with it although probably a little less into it all than myself. Hope this helps.

I have a tikka and a savage... don't see how anyone could say the savage action is smoother than the tikka. The tikka trigger is hard to beet, the tikka barrels are top quality, the stocks are both cheap but savage low grade is absolute crap. Tikka and savage both have tac driving reputations, but my experience leans towards the tikka. Savage are extremely easy to work on, tikka's are not. Tikka's craftsmanship is better (IMHO) than savage, and cost slightly more. barrels can be swapped out easily for less in the savage.

I will Never buy another savage because of the problems I have w/ my 12 22-250. It only likes 40 gr bullets and it will not eject half of the rounds which I sent in to have fixed and it came back worse than before! I would love to dump the rifle but feel I can't sell it to anyone I know because it is such crap!

with that said, I know of very very few unsatisfied savage owners... but I am one of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.