Absolutely Torn: Savage and Tikka

I have both, I have 4 savages all "pre" accutrigger, 2 stock and 2 that I have customized. I love the savages because it lets me do all my own gunsmithing without having lots of expensive tools.

I have 1 tikka, a T-3 lite stainless in 6.5x55. On all of my savages I had to spend quite a little time tuning the triggers to get them to a usable trigger pull and only one of them has the stock rigger left in it all the others have had timneys installed because i never could get the factory trigger down to where I like them. Each of the savages were glass bedded and free floated to get repeatable accuracy.

The tikka took about 2 minutes to adjust the trigger down to my liking. That is the only thing I have done to my tikka. It is by far the best out of the box non "semi" custom rifle I have ever bought. The accuracy with all loads is less than 1.5" and with the favorite loads it is a true .5" rifle (ie not just one group but at least 5+ groups). The only out of the box rifle I have ever bought that has better accuracy than my tikka is a cooper.

Both brands are great rifles, both have there merits. I love tinkering with my savages, changing bolt faces/calibers/barrels........But I also love the out of the box accuracy and simplicity of the tikka.

My tikka has quickly become my go to rifle for hunting, love the way it feels and handles.

Bottom line is pick the rifle that feels best to you and gives you the features that you desire.

Rifles come in all shapes and sizes just as women come in all shapes and sizes, everyone has their preferences, one size does not fit all.

Can't resist adding my redundant opinion (just for the record).......... My next rifle will be a savage but I will not be retiring my main walking stick a tikka t3 300wsm which will put the first two threw the same hole and the third .25" high and .25-.4" to the right resulting in .5 typical with hand loads using ct 180 bst and h4350.............Love the trigger and the rifle but sure wish there was after market options for the stock.......If you like the stock and want it just the way it is the tikka would get my vote but if you ever want to change or upgrade anything the savage wins. Buy one of each for the fun of it if you can.

Just an FYI for everyone... its not exactly easy to find stocks for Savages with the new centerfeed design, at least affordable ones. I have a Choate Tactical which a nice stock for the $, but I don't think they offer it in LA. Its easier to find stocks for the staggerfeed, but still not as easy as getting one for a Rem.

I think there are skins available for the T3 so it can be used in an AICS. That would be nice set-up with the varmint or tactical barrelled actions, but an AICS is out of my price range.

I am a huge Sako fan and believe its the best factory rifle you can buy. I am also a huge Savage fan and I would characterize them by saying that they are the best bang for your buck out there. An American company (I am Canadian eh) that listens to the buyers and builds what they want,Savages seldom fail to amaze me. Tikka, in my opinion, are a poor mans Sako with all the cheap short cuts that just dont appeal to me. Certainly an adequate rifle, the Tikka, and I am sure that some of them shoot well but a brand that will never grace my gunrack

I am a huge Sako fan and believe its the best factory rifle you can buy. I am also a huge Savage fan and I would characterize them by saying that they are the best bang for your buck out there. An American company (I am Canadian eh) that listens to the buyers and builds what they want,Savages seldom fail to amaze me. Tikka, in my opinion, are a poor mans Sako with all the cheap short cuts that just dont appeal to me. Certainly an adequate rifle, the Tikka, and I am sure that some of them shoot well but a brand that will never grace my gunrack

What are the cheap short cuts?

Thanks,

Jason

Just an FYI for everyone... its not exactly easy to find stocks for Savages with the new centerfeed design, at least affordable ones. I have a Choate Tactical which a nice stock for the $, but I don't think they offer it in LA. Its easier to find stocks for the staggerfeed, but still not as easy as getting one for a Rem.

What are you talking about?

Between Stockade, Sharp Shooter Supply, Joel Russo, McMillan, Manners, and Mcree's, what style isn't covered?

Especially Stockade, can't find a more affordable custom stock around.

I have worked on firearms for over thirty years. In all that time......I have seen bad (accuracy wise)Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, Sako's, and Tikka's, but I have never seen a Savage that would not shoot. You might have to find the right bullet, but never seen one that would not shoot. Must be lucky.

I'd go with the Savage.

Pop

What are you talking about?

Between Stockade, Sharp Shooter Supply, Joel Russo, McMillan, Manners, and Mcree's, what style isn't covered?

Especially Stockade, can't find a more affordable custom stock around.

I think you missed the part where I wrote "affordable". $350 to $400 doesn't qualify as affordable in my book, but everyone is different.

As for Stockade, I came close to ordering one since they are less expensive than Manners or McM, but there's still some question in my mind whether they are as robust as the others. It seems like they had some failures, but maybe they have that sorted out. Still, people that own them seem to rate them lower than a Manners or McM. I don't know since I don't own one.

Maybe you can fill us in on the quality of the stocks you mentioned?

From my reading both here and at SavageShooters the Stockade stocks seem to be top notch. They are very reasonably priced it seems, their most expensive stock can be had for $235 if you're willing to put a little work into it yourself...

With regards to Savage stock availability, that brings up another dilemma. If I end up going with Savage I am debating the benefits of the accustock. It seems that that action is slightly different (bolt release is on trigger guard instead of on the action itself), and I don't know what that will do to stock upgrade options should I choose to do so.

I've also read where Stockade has many happy customers too. The failures I mentioned happened a few years ago where IIRC, the stocks delaminated. They basically came unglued from being in a hot car. There were pictures of an exposed core at another forum.

Other people mentioned that the stocks didn't handle rough treatment as well either. Maybe not as many layers of glass or fiber, or not enough resin? Anyway, its been awhile since I've thought about Stockade, but it seemed like they have a big following and great customer service.

Maybe geargrinder can give us a comparison review of the Stockade vs. Manners or McM.

You're right, I do remember reading about that. Didn't somebody leave one right next to an incandescent lamp or something like that?

I never realized the gun rack was so sacred. If anyone is troubled by cheep rifles that shoot .5 groups gracing there rack. I will be glad to take them off your hands.........I figure any tool that does the job well is a tool that does the job well and if it costs half as much as a comparable tool that makes it twice as good to me... regardless of the motivation behind its production. to each there own and its all good.

Buy both! Then when you find you like the Tikka better you can tinker the Savage into something else you like :D I'm a big Savage fan but unless you realy like to tinker the Tikka is more likely to be you're favorite. There is only one Savage in the safe that has not had some tinkering done to it and 3 had barrels that would not cut it in a dogtown.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.