Kinda torn!!! Build advice

rcharwell

Lookjng at building me a 30 cal hunting rifle. Looking to build a lightweight rifle used for deer and elk hunting. Should I go with the tried and true 300 win mag or the 300 prc?

Lookjng at building me a 30 cal hunting rifle. Looking to build a lightweight rifle used for deer and elk hunting. Should I go with the tried and true 300 win mag or the 300 prc?
They are pretty close. The case efficiency of the PRC is a little bit better and it can handle longer bigger bullets a little bit better than the WM; which can get you about 100 fps +/- (according to manufacturer load data) more than the WM - but truly you could almost flip a coin between the two and do just fine.

I will only weigh in with a vote for the 300 WM, due to simple and widespread availability of components.

Even during the worst of the crunch this past year and a half, I have been able to source all of my 300 WM components. I know the PRC crowd has struggled at best, and I'm not sure how long until that gets better for them.

Always a consideration when choosing a caliber. At least for me.

Anything they say you gain with the PRC you can do with the WM since you are having it built. I'm partial to the WM, and in my small world I just have not seen the claims why the PRC is better prove true. My personal experience they are almost an identical match. Having just finished up with my latest 300WM....if I got a new 308 in mag now.....I would go with the PRC for no other reason than I might as well try it.

Read the "The PRC Die Problem" thread and that should make you decide, 3 buddies have PRC's and all have clickers.