Torn between two cartridges

I agree with the .284 caliber, I have a 7mmRM and a 28 Nosler, if you are going to push the 195 Berger's, then look at some of the larger magnums in the 7mm. The 28 Nosler will push the 195 3000 -3200 fps, the 7mmRM will not get to that velocity.
Pouring a lot of powder in case ,does not make an accurate rifle. It does not matter how fast the bullet is moving if you cannot hit the side of a barn. I prefer 7mm/270 over 30cal and had some very accurate rifle in these calibers. I would prefer the 7rm and if I am hunting and run out of ammo. The local Walmart will have it on the shelf.

Pouring a lot of powder in case ,does not make an accurate rifle. It does not matter how fast the bullet is moving if you cannot hit the side of a barn. I prefer 7mm/270 over 30cal and had some very accurate rifle in these calibers. I would prefer the 7rm and if I am hunting and run out of ammo. The local Walmart will have it on the shelf.
This was in reference for shooting 195 Berger's, if you want to take advantage of the 195 BC, you will need to push it into 3k for shooting out to 1k. I have a 7mag as well as a 28, I enjoy both, but I would be limited to bullet selection in 7mag, and if I am hunting, I would not walk out without plenty of ammo, but you should only need one shot per kill.

I once had 2 7mags & thought they were good until I bought a 300 Win Mag. Now I have 2 of the 300 Win Mags & sold my 7mags. The 300's are very easy to shoot, very easy to load for & kill like crazy. Recoil on a 300 has never bothered me.
Either way you go you should be happy!
Thanks, Kirk

I once had 2 7mags & thought they were good until I bought a 300 Win Mag. Now I have 2 of the 300 Win Mags & sold my 7mags. The 300's are very easy to shoot, very easy to load for & kill like crazy. Recoil on a 300 has never bothered me.
Either way you go you should be happy!
Thanks, Kirk
Yep, 30's hit harder than 7's and 338's hit harder than 30's. Just how it is.

That said we sell a lot of small cal bullets that are killing big animals very well. It is bullet design. Still doesn't change my 1st statement.

Steve

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Normally, I'd recommend the .300 WM over the 7MM RM but since you provided your current inventory, I too recommend the 7MM RM.
Somebody mark the calendar! :eek:

zE6qR_s-200x150.gif

You need a 7mm in your inventory. While the 7 Rem Mag is excellent, you really get the most out of the capabilities of 7mm bullets with either a 7 Weatherby, 7 STW, or 28 Nosler. I personally feel the 7 RUM is in the "diminished returns" category. When I was in the same quandary as yourself a few years ago, the 28 Nosler didn't exist. I went with the 7 STW and haven't looked back. It's become my favorite. It's an extremely accurate cartridge and a joy to shoot. The 7 STW Forum on this sight is what got me interested in it in the first place

You need a 7mm in your inventory. While the 7 Rem Mag is excellent, you really get the most out of the capabilities of 7mm bullets with either a 7 Weatherby, 7 STW, or 28 Nosler. I personally feel the 7 RUM is in the "diminished returns" category. When I was in the same quandary as yourself a few years ago, the 28 Nosler didn't exist. I went with the 7 STW and haven't looked back. It's become my favorite. It's an extremely accurate cartridge and a joy to shoot. The 7 STW Forum on this sight is what got me interested in it in the first place
The 7 Wby (in the real world) only has a very slight velocity advantage over the 7RM. Also, the 7 Wby doesn't really belong in the same category as the 7mm STW, .28 Nosler, 7RUM, etc... It belongs in the same category as the 7RM, since they are nearly equal in performance.

The 7mm RUM is beyond the point of diminishing returns. The short barrel life, huge powder consumption, and throat damage doesn't justify the real-world results.

The 7mm STW & .28 Nosler (nearly identical case capacity) are about the biggest case capacity you can go in a .284" diameter bore, before seeing significant diminishing returns.

I have been shooting the 7mm STW since 2002, and have 2 of them. I'm considering converting one of them into a .28 Nosler just to see what all the fuss is about, and to add to my cartridge diversity. I will always have at least one 7mm STW in the safe, as I am WAY too vested in that cartridge to leave it behind, plus, I just always have loved that cartridge from the first time I shot one. It's also an iconic cartridge because it really started the whole "big 7mm" craze.

MudRunner,
I know from some of your post your an avid fan of the 7mm STW, i do not know much about the round, is there any factory ammo available for it? If not, where do you purchase brass from? I am in a similar situation as the OP (without all the other options), just looking to build one nice 7mm rifle that will cover me for anything out west. Right now I was leaning to the 7 RM over the 28 Nosler just due to availability and barrel life.

MudRunner,
I know from some of your post your an avid fan of the 7mm STW, i do not know much about the round, is there any factory ammo available for it? If not, where do you purchase brass from? I am in a similar situation as the OP (without all the other options), just looking to build one nice 7mm rifle that will cover me for anything out west. Right now I was leaning to the 7 RM over the 28 Nosler just due to availability and barrel life.

Nosler makes factory ammo and brass for it. Quality and Bertram also make brass. It's much easier to find nowadays compared to 2-3 years ago. I made a lot of my STW brass from 8mm Rem Mag brass (the parent cartridge) that I necked down......it was very easy to do. Shooters Pro Shop has 7 STW blem brass on sale right now!!

Doug, without a doubt, brass and ammo is 1000x easier to find now than it ever was back when I first started shooting it, all the way up until Nosler started making it. We were stuck with only Rem, Win, & Fed for factory ammo & brass, and even though Fed & Win were better than Remington by a long shot, I still wouldn't consider any of them as "high-quality". And then in 2012 when the attempted gun ban caused mass panic-buying and nobody could find anything for 2-3 years, that was some tough times, too.

MudRunner,
I'll send you a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.