Torn between 6.5 prc vs 6.5 saum

What would you go with?

• Total voters
If you're not able to get enough brass to shoot out the barrel - pass! I'm currently shooting my 2nd 6.5 Remington Magnum barrel. I still have ~600 pieces of brass. At least that many for my .300H&H...

Remember the 5mm Remington LOL a rifle without ammo is not much good.

I've had several 6.5 sauna, a 6.5 prc and 2 6.5 wsm's, still have and use a 6.5 saum for most of my smaller large game hunting.

If you want the most out of a short 6.5 then the wsm wins by far but really needs an XM length action. Between the saum and prc it comes down to how you want to feed the rounds, bdl (prc) or mag fed (saum).

As I mostly use mine for deer and coyotes I shoot 135-140's in mine though the 156's do well also.

Thanks everyone for your input. I went with a PRC over saum solely because I found 250 pieces of brass and dies first. I had 7 saum brass available to neck down but didn't find dies until I had already purchased prc components. I Also went bdl over mag fed since I had the stock and everything already from a previous gun. I should pick it up next week for my smith and get to start working up a load.

I have both. Both are nice cartridges. The accuracy node above 3100fps with 140gr-147gr bullets is much more doable with the saum. I think the prc is going to top out around 3050 or so in most instances with those same bullets. There are always exceptions. I really like both cartridges, nothing bad can be said about either. I guess if I had to narrow down to keeping one, then it would be the saum. I believe factory ammo availability is why most people would choose the prc over the saum.

I went with the PRC because of the Hornady Precision Hunter and Match ammo. Not that it's easy to find these days, but Hornady does produce it. I have had numerous 7 SAUMS and finding ammo or brass has always been a challenge. I didn't want to go down that road again. The slight gain in velocity with 6.5 SAUM did not out way the ability or possibility of waking into a store and buy quality ammo. My rifle builder buddy in Reno is getting orders for PRC's 4 to 1 over any other cartridge. DD62

If your a reloader and want the most velocity go SAUM.. If your a "buy at the store guy," go PRC..
Saum isn't Hornady's Baby so they aren't going to produce ammo for it.. Find what meets your needs and go for it..

If your a reloader and want the most velocity go SAUM.. If your a "buy at the store guy," go PRC..
Saum isn't Hornady's Baby so they aren't going to produce ammo for it.. Find what meets your needs and go for it..
Exactly, I reload. So factory ammo availability is not a top priority for me. While saum brass is not easy to find right now either, it has been slightly more available than prc brass.