TORN - Remington? Savage? Or?

Another thing to understand is that Remington is not really an arms company at heart. It is an investment vehical owned by a hedge fund. They are not in it for the long term so they don't care about real quality on the inside only the looks to pump up sales. They may have held it too long and I hope they get burned for ruining a bunch of fine gun makers.

Another thing to understand is that Remington is not really an arms company at heart. It is an investment vehical owned by a hedge fund. They are not in it for the long term so they don't care about real quality on the inside only the looks to pump up sales. They may have held it too long and I hope they get burned for ruining a bunch of fine gun makers.

Pure and total BS!
And for all the nay sayers...go and do a search on the firing pins sticking on Savage model and see what is in print. For Gods sake dont take my word at all.

Savage will be swallowed up someday just as Marlin was...because they are out of date in design and dont make products the majority of the public wants.

Pure and total BS!
And for all the nay sayers...go and do a search on the firing pins sticking on Savage model and see what is in print. For Gods sake dont take my word at all.

Savage will be swallowed up someday just as Marlin was...because they are out of date in design and dont make products the majority of the public wants.

I stand with my post as zero hang ups
gary

What is bs ? That cerbus capital management owns remington or that Gary nor I know of any firing pin problems. Or that my personal experience with remington is bad and my personal experience with savage is good. None of my friends buy remington anymore and most buy savage.

What is bs ? That cerbus capital management owns remington or that Gary nor I know of any firing pin problems. Or that my personal experience with remington is bad and my personal experience with savage is good. None of my friends buy remington anymore and most buy savage.

You can believe what you wish. Its evident you never bother to use your poor little fingers to do an internet search on the bolt problem....and its not like everyone coming down the assy line it happens to. But it does happen and for all Ive read no one figure out EXACTLY what causes it.

Only 2 of my friend have bought Savages and their reasoing behind it was because they wanted to spend AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE on rifles they would be using mush..if at all.

I know smiths that will rebarrel and chamber anything EXCEPT older military rifles and any of the newer Savages...so there.

BTW...My personal experience with Remington has been very pleasant. Maybe its the singer and not the song thats your problem???

Kinda like this:

I bought my first Savage, when owning one wasn't cool. Dealer did his best to talk me out of it. It came in (112BVs), and they sent the wrong rifle! I ordered a single shot and they sent a repeater. Two guys were looking at Remingtons as we opened the box to have a look. I said it was the wrong gun, and they called Savage. Savage had a replcement on the UPS truck in 48 hours. While we were putting the wrong Savage back in the box one of the guys asked for a look see at the rifle and bought. I had mine in about a week. This dealer sold mostly Remingtons, Sakos, and a few Rugers. He promptly placed an order for a half dozen more Savages, and sold the next batch of them in less than a week. He now sells six to eight Savages for every Remington that goes out the door. But you can almost always find a used Remington on the used gun shelf, but rarely a Savage (if they take one in on a trade it rarely sets there 36 hours). That rifle was stolen from me, and by a strange fluke I ended up with the first Savage in a trade. I'd goto the range and shoot it surrounded by all those Remington guys, and always shot better than 85% of them did with a factory rifle. Dealer has a shooting contest, and I posted a target with six groups, five shots each. Biggest group was about 7/16" and the smallest was about .20". And I didn't win! I think I was number three, and the two ahead of me were dedicated bench guns using custom actions (I didn't learn what they used for a year or so). The next year I shot a Ruger in 6mm for the heck of it. Posted a similar target with six groups that were all roughly .40" or less. A guy in Savage won with a group in the high twos. Caught hell over shooting the Ruger instead of the Savage. The following year I bought a 700 Remington in .223 with a plan on shooting it in the contest. Yep! That ws an idea that soon made me fall on my face. After completely rebuilding the rifle from muzzel to butt pad I did get it to shoot rather consistent .45" groups, but another savage in .223 won it. I told all the guys that I was going to shoot a Savage in next year's contest, and posted a target in .300 Savage for the fun of it. It was a Savage 99, and I said I won just by having the rifle with the most class! Course I didn't finish in the top twenty, but I had the most fun (I think) and had the coolest rifle! Most of the guys in the first couple years posted one an two group targets, while I always posted six groups. Later they made a rule change to where you had to shoot four groups or more. I still always posted six groups. About that time I bought another single shot 22-250 in a Mod. 12. But they didn't do the contest anymore. It is a solid mid to high twos rifle. But never planned on shooting it in 22-250. One of these days it will be a 6BR switch barrel gun.
gary

Also , I am relating personal experience not internet rumur. I take from your post that you own some remingtons but not savage. Sully2 the troll !

the reason gunsmiths don't like Savages is really simple. They don't get to gouge you for money. I buy a barrel chambered for $350 or less and headspace it for the price of a wrench. Their laminated stock rides the bags better than most any factory stock, and it still could be better. They have a pretty good trigger from the factory, or you can buy an aftermarket if it floats your boat. The bolt design is a light year better than the Remington. The locktime is much better. Even their chambers are cut tighter than a Remington. Their necks often are as much as .075" shorter than a factory Remington neck.
gary

Also , I am relating personal experience not internet rumur. I take from your post that you own some remingtons but not savage. Sully2 the troll !
No I do not own a Savage...and wont...and yes I do own Remington 700's..5 of them since December of 2010 and 2 Stillers in the same time frame.
Since I cant relate a personal Savageproblem...I can related the problem my friends have had...only slightly....with theirs.

Don't waste your good info onthis guy. He's pulled this crap before.

Say all you want about me. I prefer Remington actions and you seem to prefer Savage....and that makes me a troll. NADA..it makes you a D*****S by your mere presenting only one side of the argument

the reason gunsmiths don't like Savages is really simple. They don't get to gouge you for money. I buy a barrel chambered for $350 or less and headspace it for the price of a wrench. Their laminated stock rides the bags better than most any factory stock, and it still could be better. They have a pretty good trigger from the factory, or you can buy an aftermarket if it floats your boat. The bolt design is a light year better than the Remington. The locktime is much better. Even their chambers are cut tighter than a Remington. Their necks often are as much as .075" shorter than a factory Remington neck.
gary

Well thats not really true either. My own smith charges "X" for the rifled blank...and "X" for chambering...of which you'll have to pay the same charges even for a barrel for a Savage.

As far as the bolt design being light years ahead of Remy...since Im not a rifle bolt designer, I cant say one way or the other. The Rem bolts do A-OK for me and thats all Im interested in.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts