Torn between two cartridges

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Normally, I'd recommend the .300 WM over the 7MM RM but since you provided your current inventory, I too recommend the 7MM RM.

Somebody mark the calendar! :eek:

It's because I remain objective and with open mind especially when the OP provides pertinent information towards a sound advice ...

Hello I am new to posting on this forum have been reading on it for a while. I am torn between two cartridges. While I have plenty of rifles to do do what I need, 270, 30-06 300 RUM no break, 338 win etc 338Rum with either McMillan A3 adjustable or A3-5 in the works.
I am looking to build another in either 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag in a McMillan hunters edg stock and jusr can't decide between the two. Looking for a little push, no pun intended

... if the .300 RUM was not in the mix, I would have recommended the .300 WM over the 7MM RM. Having said that, he might still opt for the .300 WM to fill the gap between the -.06 and .300 RUM. It's a personal choice that only he can make.

Last edited:
If you were to go with the STW, it would fill the "gap", between the 300 mag, and the 7mag quite handsomely, and with a touch of class to boot. I have a lifetime love affair with this round, and it can do magic when you feed it right. The gamut of bullets available for it now rivals the bigger rounds, with less fuss, and higher B.C. to boot. It is really the perfect overbore cartridge out there. Anymore powder is just noise, and torched throats.
Don't know if this is one of the op's options, but if you have any questions about it, there's a dedicated thread, on this web site, that will answer any questions. It's a touch of class.
Good luck in your choice, the sevens have it in spades!
JMHO

This was in reference for shooting 195 Berger's, if you want to take advantage of the 195 BC, you will need to push it into 3k for shooting out to 1k. I have a 7mag as well as a 28, I enjoy both, but I would be limited to bullet selection in 7mag, and if I am hunting, I would not walk out without plenty of ammo, but you should only need one shot per kill.
I had made the statement about buying ammo , but I reload most my bullets. What I was referring to is the use of special ammo that is not normally carry by local stores. I have 30 cal rifles, 30'06 and 308 . These are accurate cartridges ,but I still prefer 7mm cartridges. That it and I still standing by my statement. Have a nice day!

You can't go wrong with either choice. I'm partial to the 7mm myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts