A Bit Off of the Usual Topics, but….

Salt? 50# bag of water softener salt is better than nothing. Deep well, stainless steel tube dropped into well will get you water enough to survive. The biggest issue in most "modern" homes is heating. Propane will expire unless you can jack a delivery truck!

Wind turbines may be another free energy source maybe in conjunction with solar. Turbine technology has leap frogged quite a bit in last 5 years. Smaller, quieter, more efficient.

We live in country but reachable by population centers. Security is easy to say but it's gotta be 24/7 and must be stout and deadly if necessary. How do you try to survive at same time defending the home front? Numbers comes to play. Band up with trustworthy family structures that are dependable and accurate! My son and I have discussed a SHTF meeting place if full evac. Several directions depending on risk. Keep gasoline stockpile of at least 25 gal in jugs that can put some distance fast.

Every time I see .22 on good sale, grab some. Have standard cartridges such as .357/38, .243, .270, 30-06, .300WM, 12ga. Reload shot and slugs for 12. Air rifles great for small game and ammo is easy to store up 5K easily. I have killed trash pandas at close range 25'. Rabbits and tree rats are easy peasy. Plenty of wild game. Archery gives me pause to stock up on arrow shafts and broadheads. Fixed sharpening blades instead of replacement blades.

Several crosscut saws, axes, soil turning hand tools.

Knives of all sorts to process game, easy to overlook.

I try to discuss with some folks but classic head in sand or "I don't want to live in that world". Until they have to. Interesting how thought processes change when they have to in order to survive.

Good thread and lot of good thoughts. Power will be major deciding factor of survival especially in colder climates where snow is extensive and deep cold. IMO, power has to be "free" and sustainable over time and all environmental conditions. That leads me to a combined energy source like solar and wind. Plus wood burning stoves etc. The old survival adage of shelter, food, water and now security will allow us to prevail. The key will be actually doing it with minimal loss.

Muddyboots, I once made an extensive list for my cousin of items that I thought necessary for long term survival. Survival alone is not very pleasant…..you need a few luxuries to maintain some human traits!

I wish that I had that list….heck, I wish that I'd listened to my own advice! 😜 memtb

Doesn't hurt to put an inverter in a good reliable truck, keeps a few more options open. !500 watt Vanner pure sine wave, saved the day, more than a few times over the years. 20 years ago, the Cabela's, used to put out a nice checklist for a hunt/fish trip, saves leaving everything to memory. Wood burner and 4-5 cords of Oak, Ash or Hickory stackD N dried. Lincoln Pipeliner welder good power source and it can go to work, most any call.

Doesn't hurt to put an inverter in a good reliable truck, keeps a few more options open. !500 watt Vanner pure sine wave, saved the day, more than a few times over the years. 20 years ago, the Cabela's, used to put out a nice checklist for a hunt/fish trip, saves leaving everything to memory. Wood burner and 4-5 cords of Oak, Ash or Hickory stackD N dried. Lincoln Pipeliner welder good power source and it can go to work, most any call.
Can you tell me the difference between a pure sine wave and the non pure sine wave inverter??
I was looking at those today

Can you tell me the difference between a pure sine wave and the non pure sine wave inverter??
I was looking at those today

Pure sine is best….especially for somewhat delicate electronic equipment, computers, ect., but costs more. Modified sine is acceptable for most stuff….stay away from anything less!

This is from my very limited knowledge, and hoping to be correct! memtb