Off topic but how do u deal with teenage daughters!

Remmy700

So me and my 17 year old are not getting along, like at all. How do You guys deal with them? I have done some pretty off the wall stuff but want to see how normal people deal with it, and yes boys are involved now!

Lock them up til they are 25! Man, I feel for you and glad I have 2 boys. At that age, all you can really do is show her what can come of bad choices, give her sound advice/guidance, and hopefully she will understand. She's nearly considered an adult and soon enough will be. At that point, it's all her. Hope this helps.

So me and my 17 year old are not getting along, like at all. How do You guys deal with them? I have done some pretty off the wall stuff but want to see how normal people deal with it, and yes boys are involved now!
I am lucky - my 15 yr old is still in that phase where she fights with her mom all the time, so I am the good guy. Boys are the devil - I can't Help but remember what was running through my mind when I was 17 - scary stuff.

As the father of a 34 year old daughter..All I can say is hang in there?
Kellyn went totally nuts from about 14 until 19 or so.
BUT now after 5 years in the Navy and learning about the world/life she's really pretty cool! She called me tonight and we talked about an hour..It was all was worth it!
There was a 17 year old sniffing around But my younger brother "Set' his dad straight at the carryout and put a stop to that! After she turned 18 there wasn't much to say?

Last edited:
My Granddad said girl children are revenge on us males. I have three girls. Oldest two are 35 and 33. The youngest, 20, is actually not related to me by blood, but I helped raise her from 3yrs old. Every one of them broke my heart. The two older ones have turned into good people again....not sure yet how the youngest is gonna shake out. All you can do is love them thru the crap, and hope and pray that what you tried to teach them will stick. At this point, man, your just along for the ride. Could be a wild ride, dude, but hopefully there's no drugs involved. I feel for you, bro. It hurts.

Last edited:
There is a little audible though. I just got hit with a 365 to Honduras so she has to stay with her step mom, my wife now for 16 years. And they don't get along either lol
OOOF - good luck to everyone! Maybe some space will be a good thing.

What I found was fighting doesn't help. Perhaps you and the Mrs. could sit down with her and air the differences. She and you each could perhaps give a little ground on issues. That's what worked for me in avoiding alienating each other. Good luck.

There is a little audible though. I just got hit with a 365 to Honduras so she has to stay with her step mom, my wife now for 16 years. And they don't get along either lol
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you leave now most likely your relationship with your daughter will never recover. She is at a critical point in life. I can almost guarantee you if you leave and she doesn't get along with her stepmother you are in for hardship. Whether that comes as drugs and alcohol or older guys or all of the above. I urge you to not go if at all possible since taking her with you will make her hate you for taking her away from her friends during her last year in high school. It's hard but if you show her love, compassion, and understanding no matter what she's going through, she will always know you are the one man in her life she can count on. Then as she matures you can have a relationship that will do you both good for the rest of your lives.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you leave now most likely your relationship with your daughter will never recover. She is at a critical point in life. I can almost guarantee you if you leave and she doesn't get along with her stepmother you are in for hardship. Whether that comes as drugs and alcohol or older guys or all of the above. I urge you to not go if at all possible since taking her with you will make her hate you for taking her away from her friends during her last year in high school. It's hard but if you show her love, compassion, and understanding no matter what she's going through, she will always know you are the one man in her life she can count on. Then as she matures you can have a relationship that will do you both good for the rest of your lives.
Hey brother talk to Uncle Sam about that and maybe he will say I don't have to go, I promise it ain't my chose I like the US!

Hey brother talk to Uncle Sam about that and maybe he will say I don't have to go, I promise it ain't my chose I like the US!
That's what I figured, Thanks for your service. Unfortunately, this is an all too common occurrence for military families. I lived it with my wife and her younger sister, both of which have zero relationships with their father, but he literally did abandon them and their mother when my wife was 17 he just used the AF as an excuse. All you can do is let your daughter know how much she means to you and be there for her even if it's just on the phone or internet for the next year. O' by the way locking her up is not an option and being strick will most likely backfire. Ultimately she will do what she wants, but as long as there is communication you can have some influence on her decision even if it doesn't feel that way.

I guess I'm the lucky one. God made me so fat and ugly, I can't get a date in a Saigon wh0rehouse with a $100 bill stuck to my forehead. I have no kids; have never been married. I look at all my friends and my three siblings: All divorced. In contrast, my mom and dad were married for 61-plus years until my mom died in November 2015. Some would say being married to a wonderful woman and being a parent to good kids is the greatest thing in life. I'm just ever so happy I missed-out on all of that happiness and joy.

My guess is that he doesn't have an option. I understand that all too well (Iraq x2, Afghanistan x2, Singapore, Mongolia, Ukraine, Africa, CTCs...)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.