What's with all the off topic, uneducated, responses??

I like to ask a question and have it answered. Usually happens, sometimes it doesn't. I also like for the people answering to actually know what they are talking about and not just vomiting some crap they read in a forum. I do appreciate when somebody provides a link to a discussion that was already had that provides an answer but I get annoyed when it leaves me just as ignorant as I was before reading it.
The online only experts make it very difficult to sift through the manure because they speak with such authority and it's hard to know if they're speaking from 40 yrs of experience doing things the right way, or just parroting what they heard elsewhere. I typically assign a much higher value to a published book, than an online article, and that takes precedence over an opinion on a forum unless I've spent years learning from the person posting and know they aren't full of crap.
I very much appreciate when folks admit they don't have a lot of experience but want to pass along a little piece of knowledge they have learned in the short time they've been gaining that experience. Everybody has to start somewhere trying to be helpful...

I remember when you had to buy a book to read about what others had done then try it out for yourself to see if it would work for you...now everyone wants an answer right now to their question and only wants what they want to hear.

Internet/social media --- this is how it works, use a bell curve to figure it all out? Most of the info is opinion anyway.

I like to hear what others have to say, I try to listen to all the opinions (tossing out the extremes) then try for myself and make my own opinion.

Internet is more convenient than books were, but books are much quieter. I still have lots of books and often buy new ones too.

Nice to see a few guys on here agree with me.
PredatorSlayer your VX-6 hd thread was one of the many threads that got me thinking about starting this thread. I read thru the 7 pages 97 posts.
Because I wanted to learn a bit about that scope. What was there? maybe 2 posts that answered your original question.
Or how about the recent post on 22-250 for whitetail deer 15 pages half are guys with no experience shooting whitetail with a 22-250 saying how it's a bad caliber choice.
These guys continue to post slamming the caliber choice, even though multiple guys including myself that have first hand experience, and all agree that it's a fine choice when used in the OP's parameters.
Don't get me wrong I do enjoy this Forum and appreciate it.I just wish I didn't have to sift thru so much junk to get the info I am looking for.

One more thing.
Do you think the Admin on this forum could come up with a filter that blocks any supporter posts? LOL.
example
I post.
Looking for a light weight scope? 75% of replies Nightforce
Thinking for buying a suppressor? 75% of replies Thunderbeast
What is the best scope for my application? {doesn't matter said application }
50% Schmidt Bender 50% Nightforce
Oh ya and lets not forget.
What is the best cartridge? [once again doesn't matter said application]
CREEDMORE!!! [I imagine that being said like Mel Gibson in Braveheart]
Ha Ha I think I got it all off my chest.
Happy New Year !!

Nice to see a few guys on here agree with me.
PredatorSlayer your VX-6 hd thread was one of the many threads that got me thinking about starting this thread. I read thru the 7 pages 97 posts.
Because I wanted to learn a bit about that scope. What was there? maybe 2 posts that answered your original question.
Or how about the recent post on 22-250 for whitetail deer 15 pages half are guys with no experience shooting whitetail with a 22-250 saying how it's a bad caliber choice.
These guys continue to post slamming the caliber choice, even though multiple guys including myself that have first hand experience, and all agree that it's a fine choice when used in the OP's parameters.
Don't get me wrong I do enjoy this Forum and appreciate it.I just wish I didn't have to sift thru so much junk to get the info I am looking for.
Sorry I don't agree with you on the 22-250 comment. I have experience with everything from 22 rim fire to 375 H&H magnums on killing whitetails. So see yourself as part of the problem with this forum . You because you don't like the other guys opinion , dismiss it as no experience . Oh I didn't come to the same conclusions as you do I'm just talking nonsense . My opinion is based on 45 years of hunting and seeing what I have done and others as well! There are much better choices , that's not to say it can't be done ! You want to shoot a 22-250 for deer have at it Haus !

Pmacc60 I think you misunderstood my point. I personally don't care what you use to kill deer! In this particular thread the OP asked a question and guys with experience using said caliber answered his question. Then many guys who have no experience using said caliber and have never even shot a whitetail chime in saying caliber is a poor choice. This is the whole point of this thread. I would love to hear why a 22-250 is a bad choice, but I want to hear it from someone that actually has experience in said subject. In this particular case if you are going to post knocking the caliber it needs to be an instance of shooting a whitetail with a 22-250 not a .223 not a mule deer.ect.

Last edited:
You just need to refine your BS meter. There is a wealth of good knowledge and experience here! You just need to sort it out.The one thing that got me at first was the entrenched self appointed rights some of the old members thought they had!
Bottom line Len and Andy are the only ones that have that! The rest of us are equal!

The internet has been a great source of information. YouTube videos on how to fix everything from Can openers to 747s have been a real boon to DIY guys. By the same token, validating data provided by people on forums has become almost impossible. There are no "Qualifications" posted for most people who respond on forums so some key board warrior's opinion initially has as much credibility as someone with 10 years of in-depth experience. With forums like this one, it doesn't take long to know who provides good info versus who is part of the blow hard crowd.

The only way to know something for an absolute certainty is to try it yourself, next best is to keep a list of the guys that always provide high quality input and PM them if you aren't getting the answers you want to a question you post. There is a lot more nonsense on the net and it continues to grow,, but it is still a great information resource, just a lot more work to sift through the dross to find the pearls.

Mostly now, I just post up my load development because I find that it helps a lot of people out who are trying to do load development on a rifle, bullet and powder that they have not tried before. It just gives them an idea of where to start and what to expect. I do a google search for that a lot and find it helpful. I will always start out a little lower on the powder charge than they did just to make sure but it is good info to have.

I will help someone out with something but I only do so if I am absolutely sure of what I'm posting. I think a lot of people let their emotions go on these forums and that's what gets the fire going.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.