A Bit Off of the Usual Topics, but….

Noobie, very good explanation…..Thank You.

It's obviously pretty complex to put it all together, but not something that a fairly bright individual can't accomplish!

It's also not something that can be researched/understood/installed overnight, plus as you suggested….a system built for long term power is quite expensive and will require a pretty large (depending upon power output needed) storage supply (batteries) to carry the user through numerous overcast days and the shorter daily charge period during the winter months. A nice "tracking array" would help produce higher wattage….but substantially increases the cost of the system. You also mentioned the energy loss during the charging/conversion of the energy….one should also consider the efficiency rating of the panels, as all panels are "not created equal"! 😉

A good system can make a big dent in most folks bank accounts……it just depends how comfortable you want to be "after" the SHTF. Decisions……Decisions 😉 memtb

Last edited:
Great thread. I'm looking for some direction here. My 7 year old Kohler 20/Resal whole home propane generator took a total dump. Had Kohler service out. They said it was 'locked up' and couldn't easily diagnose whether it was the engine or the genset. Said it would cost more to fix than it's worth and to just replace it. They offered a quote of $12,500 - for a straight up remove and replace. I was blown away. Now I'm on the hunt for the right replacement unit - 20K capacity is fine. Do you guys have any ideas for me on this? Anybody need half of a formerly working rig? I appreciate your feedback.

I think I would call someone else as a Kohler should last a whole lot longer than 7 years!I would tell them if Kohler's only last 7 years I'll get something else!Something don't add up buddy!
Are there other generators available in your area?A generator mechanic to pull the engine out and see if the generator itself is locked up.You can buy a replacement generator or a replacement engine for those,not only a brand new whole system.
Just my opinion

I think I would call someone else as a Kohler should last a whole lot longer than 7 years!I would tell them if Kohler's only last 7 years I'll get something else!Something don't add up buddy!
Are there other generators available in your area?A generator mechanic to pull the engine out and see if the generator itself is locked up.You can buy a replacement generator or a replacement engine for those,not only a brand new whole system.
Just my opinion
The rep's whole deal felt a lot like a drive-by shooting! I agree with your point - just have to find the right people. It's too heavy a lift for me to do the repair, even though I have the skillset and tools. Totally agree that 7 years is NOT ok. I kept the maintenance up to date, ran the exercises, etc. Definitely not happy....

How much do you think the system for the well runs. Just a rough figure would be nice.
The full price for just the deep well pump with the panels and switches runs about $1300 shipped but the shipping was pretty hefty.
It's going to cost about $1700 for the amount of 1" poly pipe to run the length to the well location.
My little system was $400 and it works fine for watering stuff but I was having to fill totes and haul those to the house

BigDon, that $12,500 bid to remove and replace, doesn't sound very good. My 20 kw Kohler generator cost $8,481.24, and that includes the generator, Transfer Switch, carb heater, 12 starting battery, and sales tax. It also cost $1600 for my plumber to run the natural gas line, and $2,300 for my electrician to install the whole thing. My all up total was $12,381.24, which is less than your guy wanted just to replace you generator. I'd look for another dealer. I'm still really sorry for your bad experience.

BigDon, that $12,500 bid to remove and replace, doesn't sound very good. My 20 kw Kohler generator cost $8,481.24, and that includes the generator, Transfer Switch, carb heater, 12 starting battery, and sales tax. It also cost $1600 for my plumber to run the natural gas line, and $2,300 for my electrician to install the whole thing. My all up total was $12,381.24, which is less than your guy wanted just to replace you generator. I'd look for another dealer. I'm still really sorry for your bad experience.
I appreciate you sharing your experience. I think I'm going to cool my jets and find a local mechanic to pull the motor and get it figured out. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. More news to follow -