Need a bit of help

300shooter

I just got a Mod.70 Classic in 300 Winny and it shoots 15"low@100yds. and the scope I have is a Burris FF2 with Target knobs and its out of movement, I have Shim'ed the rear base 0.050" and it is now shooting great . the question is, Is there a set of bases that fit the classics that are Different then the ones that Leupold sells that has a taller rear base??? or is there a nother set of bases that I need to get ???

Thanks in Advance
300shooter

I would get a set of Burris Signature rings and put a set of +0.020" inserts in the rear ring and a set of -0.020" inserts in the front ring. This will get you very close to what you have currently and will perform much better as far as keeping the scope stress free.

MidwayUSA has the rings and inserts and they will work on any standard Leupold base as well as Burris.

Kirby Allen(50)

Remember that if you only take off the front base, you may have a serious bind issue in the scope when you tighten the ring caps down on the scope. You may need to do some serious ring lapping to make this a non stressed scope mount system. That is where the Burris system really works well, no stress on the scope.

Just have your smith check to see if the rings need lapping before the ring caps are tightened down on the scope tube.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.