7MM STW vs 28 Nosler

More or less that's what I said. But...there is a long standing saying in the stock market. "The market is never wrong"....:D
I kept hearing the same thing about the housing market in 2008.:)

People are often wrong. We get convinced by the marketers that X is bad and Y is superior when the science just doesn't support it and that's what happened to belted magnums.

The funny thing is, the 7mmRM and 300wm are still the most popular medium/large game calibers in the US as evidenced by the availability of ammo. The Ammo manufacturers know what sells.

Or one could say the market is never wrong until it is....I have no problem with the belted mags. I have some myself. They shoot great. I am just commenting on the trends in the market. At least how I see them...

It seems like the trends in the market are an ettempt to replicate the things that have been working well for years if not decades . They market it as "better" , therefore it must be .

There is some truth in that. But remember, corporations have to drive sales. And hopefully in the long run some innovation comes with it. At the very least innovation gives us choices. And more choices are a good thinggun)

The easiest way to sort hype from performance is to just build a 28 Nosler, marketing hype don't last long, what's driving it now is guys are building and shooting them!

Thanks for all the "use full" replies ! I really had my mind made up, but wanted some opinions to nudge me along! I will buy the 7mm STW first & see how it goes, but since I`m in the position that I can, I will probably buy a 28, after the first of the year? I actually found the 7 mm STW forum so got info from there too! At least my question got some posts going!

Cinchy, sorry about getting off topic, I just get tired of all the internet jockeys spouting theories, speculation and marketing hype as fact. I'm helping a friend build a 28 Nosler as we speak, Stiller action, Bartlien barrel and Manners Eh1 stock. (waiting on the Manners stock 7 months now) I don't really want one but he has read all the hype and wants to try one out. We built a similar 26 Nosler 2 years ago and he loves it. The barrel is an 8 twist because he wants to shoot the 195 gr Bergers. I'll let you know how it goes when we get it built.

It is a couple years later. Any advice on a build?? I am struggling, 28 or STW? I have friends that shoot each and I can not make my decision........

It's a tough choice, since they are basically the same. That being said, I purchased a 7 STW a few years ago due to the STW forum on this website. Like someone else had said, the STW is very easy to load develop and it likes just about everything. You have a ton of information available on it since the cartridge has been around for some time now, and all the STW owners are pretty passionate about the cartridge and willing to help you out if you need it. I love mine. Loved shooting it so much that I burned the barrel out in about 3 years. It's got a new carbon wrapped barrel in a 1:8 twist and shoots great. You can't go wrong with either one. Brass for the STW isn't an issue anymore, and when it was, I just necked down 8 Rem Mag brass without an issue. I will say this, the outiftter that I hunt with in Wyoming has a brother that is a gunsmith and owns a gun shop. When he asked me what rifle cartridge I was going to be using (this is the first time I hunted with him), I told him the 7 STW. He said "that's a fine cartridge, and my gunsmith/gun shop owner brother's favorite and he's used it to take game all over the world".
The gunsmith I use here, in San Antonio, actually helped Layne Simpson develop the STW cartridge years back. He loves the cartridge.

I was having the same problem choosing? After talking with Bartlein Barrels I've
decided to look at something else?
Basically he said big boom small hole and you are going to have problems!
It can't be helped slowed a little but not stopped. Barrels are expensive!

I ended up buying a Cooper model 52 in 7mm STW. I really enjoy the gun & it has been doing its job well. My gun is on the light side so recoil is sort of stiff, but who notices that when shooting at game? I just use a Past recoil pad when at the range. I have been able to find all the brass that I will ever need, & now Hornady is producing it so probably never have to worry about finding it again? I have tried most all the major brands of bullets & the gun seems to shoot most well, & at times its hard to pick a "best" it shoots so well? I do wish I could of tried the 28 but none of my friends own one!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts