7MM STW vs 28 Nosler

I think I need to step back a clarify something. I don't have a side in this debate. The only rifle I own is a 7mm STW, and I love it. It is the first rifle I bought. When the barrel looses accuracy I plan switch to the 7mm Sherman short mag.

I was just trying to keep the record straight.

The shorter fat powder column is absalutely an improvement, every accuracy record is held by a short fat powder column case design. There is no one designing cases that are skinny, long, belted and have mass amounts of taper!

It's hard to get gunsmith excited about a gun for themselves, I know of 3 precision gunsmiths who built themselves 28 Noslers and are absalutely excited by them, that just don't happen with gunsmiths!

Marketing hype is definitely surrounding the Noslers, the 26 is totally marketing it just happens that the 28 landed on an incredible balance and performs.
I guess I don't understand why this is total marketing hype while the ALR bullet is somehow awesome sause which it is well proven to be marketing poo. Marketing hype surrounds everything these days but some times they actually stumble on something that actually performs so a guy has to sift through a lot of crap to get to the real deal, the 28 Nosler is the real deal!!

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. What I mean by that is, that you throw enough crap with a gimmick to the general public, and they'll bite... But only about 1% of the gimmicks they throw out actually work. So, eventually you throw enough crap against a wall, and some of it's bound to stick.

And yes, the ABLR's are a joke.

I don't dislike the .28 and .30 Noslers (I do think the .26 Nosler is the dumbest thing ever), I'm actually considering rebarreling one of my STW's into a .28 Nosler just for fun. I'm just stating that they basically reinvented the wheel, because the STW already does what the Nosler does, and Nosler already makes brass for the STW...It just seemed redundant, but I can completely understand Nosler wanting to capitalize on the market by creating their own proprietary cartridges.

"The shorter fat powder column is absalutely an improvement, every accuracy record is held by a short fat powder column case design. There is no one designing cases that are skinny, long, belted and have mass amounts of taper"

Ken Brucklacher Sets 1000-Yard Score Record: 100-8X « Daily Bulletin

Every accuracy record, are you sure?

How old is the design of the 300 Weatherby?

Lets see, a belted cartridge based off of the 300 H&H magnum developed in 1944 sets a record.

I did read the comments to the article, it's a theory and a guess, no one has documented proof that shoulder angle extends barrel life, too many variables involved. You show me documented proof and then I'll believe you.

Don't forget the .300 Ackley, .300 AMU, 7mm RemMag, .300 WinMag...Etc...

I think this thread has gotten a bit off topic...

We've gone from 7mm STW vs. 28 Nosler, to 1K BR comps and powder columns...

When I first saw this thread I figured it would go in this direction...but one does have to admit the evolution of cartridge design is toward short fat columns and no belt. When's the last full length belted magnum??? Besides the 6.5x300 Wby...It doesn't mean the STW is bad, just that the market is moving away from them...

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. What I mean by that is, that you throw enough crap with a gimmick to the general public, and they'll bite... But only about 1% of the gimmicks they throw out actually work. So, eventually you throw enough crap against a wall, and some of it's bound to stick.

And yes, the ABLR's are a joke.

I don't dislike the .28 and .30 Noslers (I do think the .26 Nosler is the dumbest thing ever), I'm actually considering rebarreling one of my STW's into a .28 Nosler just for fun. I'm just stating that they basically reinvented the wheel, because the STW already does what the Nosler does, and Nosler already makes brass for the STW...It just seemed redundant, but I can completely understand Nosler wanting to capitalize on the market by creating their own proprietary cartridges.
There actually is one advantage to the Nosler and that's the fact that with the shorter case body you can load the heavier bullets and still keep them to mag length without having to resort to compressing loads.

If you want to shoot 195's that's an advantage but other than that the Nosler isn't doing anything we weren't already doing for twenty plus years with the STW.

When I first saw this thread I figured it would go in this direction...but one does have to admit the evolution of cartridge design is toward short fat columns and no belt. When's the last full length belted magnum??? Besides the 6.5x300 Wby...It doesn't mean the STW is bad, just that the market is moving away from them...
The market is moving away from them because of the marketing, not because there's anything wrong with the belted magnum's design.

The market is moving away from them because of the marketing, not because there's anything wrong with the belted magnum's design.

More or less that's what I said. But...there is a long standing saying in the stock market. "The market is never wrong"....:D

It's because the interwebz are full of false information, and they have taught people that "belts are bad and old and outdated"...Which yes, they may be old tech, but it's still relevant technology, since belted cases headspace off the belt, so that does not make it irrelevant tech...In fact, I'd say it's just as relevant as non-belteds headspacing off the shoulder/neck junction. Both technologies are as relevant to the cartridges that utilize them, as rifling is to a barrel. People are also uninformed and regurgitate unproven hear-say...That's how rumors and false info gets stared.

I bowed out of this thread for a bit because it became an argument based on "my cartridge is best" whether it be STW or Nosler.

We lost the original poster long ago.

I bowed out of this thread for a bit because it became an argument based on "my cartridge is best" whether it be STW or Nosler.

We lost the original poster long ago.

I'm saying they're equal... But keep getting told they're not, and that one is better than the other... :rolleyes:

I'm saying they're equal... But keep getting told they're not, and that one is better than the other... :rolleyes:

Comments about "marketing hype" and "gimics" or "old" regarding "not mine" cartridge are just not appropriate or helpful. That is how we lost the OP.

It is natural to promote what you have had success with.

It's not cool to put down the other guy because he had success with something else.

Ballistically they are equal. Any differences come down to seating depth and individual barrels.

Choosing between the two is a difficult exercise. Belt vs. no Belt. Single load vs. Magazine load. Price of brass and dies vs. the price of brass and dies. Everything else is the same. Any action that can feed the 7STW can feed the Nosler and visa versa.

Please keep it chill. Yes, your cartridge is great. So is the other one.

I have both and they are both great Guns, however for accuracy and long range hunting I always pick up the STW first. A couple of reasons why: the STW is much more forgiving when reloading, at least mine is! You can shoot factory length rounds and still be accurate from 120gr to 200gr. My 28 first thing I had to do is extend the mag box, wouldn't hold a 4" group at 100 yds with factory length rounds (same thing with my Nos 26). My 28 is very powder specific, the STW will shoot with sugar or black pepper it could care less with the powder choice! The Nosler 28 is finiky! But don't get me wrong the 28 has its purpose, just haven't found it yet!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts