7MM STW vs 28 Nosler

I have rifles in most popular calibers 25, to 338 calibers but I don`t own any 7 mm calibers at all. Going to get a new rifle built thinking about the 7MM STW or 28 Nosler. Which would you all prefer & why?

Since you're not locked in and the idea of a longer neck came up, here's one with an obviously longer neck to consider: 7-.300 Weatherby. Brass for the .300, 6.5-.300 and .340 would be a necking affair. Using .300 H&H or .375H&H could be modified and fire-formed. You could even sized some 7STW to get there.

Having been around both the STW and the 28 Nosler and seeing a number of STW's being converted to 28 Noslers there is little doubt the Nosler is perfection in that performance level of 7mm. The belt is just stupid on the STW and I've seen sizing issues though few because of the belt, if it does not improve the cartridge its not needed. The Nosler has the shorter fatter powder column which is a better design, the shoulder angle keeps more flame concentrated in the neck not blasting directly at the throat with a cross firing effect. Even with a throated 28 it fits better. The ONLY down side to the 28 Nosler is brass price but Norma is starting to pick up some of the noslers and frankly the cartridge is just that good I'll pay the price gladly!

Lack of a belt is a improvement in case capacity when comparing the same size bolt face. That is why the nosler is able to get the same capacity as the stw in a shorter case length and that also improves being able to seat heavy for caliber bullets optimally where they are not taking up case capacity.
To me the 35 degree shoulder of the nosler is a better design compared to the stw's 25 degree shoulder. It should not strech as much as the stw and theoretically should keep the flame point inside the neck for improved barrel life.
Don't take this as me being a hater on the stw because I'm not. Before the 26 nosler came out I was looking at the stw for some time, the shortage of brass kept me from buying one. I had shot the stw a bit and was always impressed with it's performance.
When I started looking at building a 7mm I wanted a un-belted case between the 7mm rem and the rum in Case capacity with a 30-35 degree shoulder and minimum case taper. I was originally going to build a 7 lrm when the 26 came on the market and quickly settled on it as what I was going to build on in 7mm. The only complaint of the nosler case to me is I would have liked a little longer neck.
A long action is a long action.

Yes the Nosler used a shorter, fatter case, that's a difference, not an improvement.

Nosler wanted to come up with something different as a proprietary round for marketing purposes the same way Remington did with the SAUMS, and Winchester did with the WSM and WSSM's.

We've been going through these gyrations every ten to twenty years since the fifties.

Yes the Nosler used a shorter, fatter case, that's a difference, not an improvement.

Nosler wanted to come up with something different as a proprietary round for marketing purposes the same way Remington did with the SAUMS, and Winchester did with the WSM and WSSM's.

We've been going through these gyrations every ten to twenty years since the fifties.

I'm glad someone else gets it... Marketing ploys with a hook a gimmick. That's all it is.

The shorter fat powder column is absalutely an improvement, every accuracy record is held by a short fat powder column case design. There is no one designing cases that are skinny, long, belted and have mass amounts of taper!

It's hard to get gunsmith excited about a gun for themselves, I know of 3 precision gunsmiths who built themselves 28 Noslers and are absalutely excited by them, that just don't happen with gunsmiths!

Marketing hype is definitely surrounding the Noslers, the 26 is totally marketing it just happens that the 28 landed on an incredible balance and performs.
I guess I don't understand why this is total marketing hype while the ALR bullet is somehow awesome sause which it is well proven to be marketing poo. Marketing hype surrounds everything these days but some times they actually stumble on something that actually performs so a guy has to sift through a lot of crap to get to the real deal, the 28 Nosler is the real deal!!

Clearly you did not read the comments below the article on precision rifle blog.

In the second ckmment from a reader and Cal's response shoulder angle is mentioned along with Cal stating that David Rubber believes that sharper shoulder angles and longer necks combine to keep what he calls the turbulence point inside the case and thus give a much longer barrel life.

"The shorter fat powder column is absalutely an improvement, every accuracy record is held by a short fat powder column case design. There is no one designing cases that are skinny, long, belted and have mass amounts of taper"

Ken Brucklacher Sets 1000-Yard Score Record: 100-8X « Daily Bulletin

Every accuracy record, are you sure?

How old is the design of the 300 Weatherby?

Lets see, a belted cartridge based off of the 300 H&H magnum developed in 1944 sets a record.

I did read the comments to the article, it's a theory and a guess, no one has documented proof that shoulder angle extends barrel life, too many variables involved. You show me documented proof and then I'll believe you.

Um. That article is from 2009. His record was bested 16 months later by a guy shooting a 300 wsm.

Your right it was 7 years ago but to say all accuracy records are held by short fat cartridge designs is a bold statement. Here is 2016 Williamsport 1000 yard match results and there are still some old belted cartridge designs still competing. And yes the WSM's are doing well.

Match Results

Here's a thread from benchrest central on angle of the case shoulder and it's affect on throat erosion.

Does the angle of the case shoulder have any bearing on throat erosion? [Archive] - Benchrest Central Forums

Food for thought, I don't think it has any affect on throat erosion but then it's only my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Until someone does documented research on the affect of shoulder angle to barrel wear and proves that it has an affect I'll continue to be skeptical.

Here's the full version from benchrest central, sorry.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php...-shoulder-have-any-bearing-on-throat-erosion&

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.