7mm STW or 300 win

If you want a hotrod wildcat caliber, the STW is where it's at. But they are both great calibers.

The STW has that cool and unique factor, but it will cost you more to shoot it, as brass is fairly expensive. But it's well worth it, IMO.

Personally, I have 2 STW's, and don't own a .300 WM. I do load for a .300 WM that my buddy owns, so I am very familiar with the caliber and its ballistics.

Have several rifles in both calibers myself. Shoot them a good deal.

The STW is flatter shooting to 800yds loaded properly and more fun. MR is right there's just definitely a cool factor involved.

The WM brings a bit more energy to the equation and with the higher BC bullets more precision when you push out beyond 800yds.

The STW takes more dedication to enjoy because of the expense and trouble of finding brass on a regular basis but once you have enough put away you are set for life.

I can't at this point imagine only one or the other and if I were put in that position I'd stick with the STW out of personal preference but not out of any practical reasoning.

Neither caliber is ever the wrong answer.

For a flat shooting deer caliber that can be put in a relatively lightweight caliber the stw is where it's at. If you want to toss a bit more bullet weight and don't care that you will have to dial a bit earlier, I'd go with the 300win.
I have both a 300win and an stw, and I wouldn't go without either. I would look at the 300rum also though, as you get the flat shooting of the stw and the added bullet weight of the 30's. You will have to either put up with more recoil, build a heavier rifle, or put a brake on your 300rum though if you go that way.

Let's not forget the .300 Ackley..... It's basically the .30 cal equivelant to the 7mm STW. Having both, I just can't imagine life without both. They're both monster calibers that have superhuman strength and abilities.

7mm STW (left) and .300 Ackley Imp Mag (right)

4C1EDBE2-6EE0-4242-A560-E84B0D3F69FB_zpsqufq8kb8.jpg

Get the 300 WSM! Benefit of a short action and no belt!
The WSM's don't work very well on a SA, unless you're shooting ammo to SAAMI specs. And then you won't be able to get the most out of it.

And, as long as a rifle is properly headspaced, and you start with new brass, there shouldn't be any issues with the belt...

My preference is the stw. I'll have to look but I think the trajectory out runs a 300rum out to 1000 with the 162amax but I haven't ran numbers for awhile so I may have forgotten. I love my stw.

Having owned several 7 STWs, and 7 RUMS plus several 300 Win mags and 300 RUMs I would choose the 300 win mag.

Brass is more available. Barrel life will be longer than the STW. The heavy Berger 215 and 230 have higher BCs. Sure the STW can shoot flatter with a light bullet. Wind drift and retained energy are what matters for long range hunting. The 180 launched from a 7 STW is pretty good but IMO the big 308 bullets are better. More recoil may an issue but it is still manageable with out a brake.

Broz's experiences with the 215 hybrid and the 300 Win mag says it all:

I linked the middle of the thread where the field results begin. Hard to argue with this kind of success.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index12.html

Right now you can get some great brass for the 300 win mag. STW brass? Have no idea where to find any.

Norma brass:

Norma Reloading Brass 300 Winchester Mag

RWS brass:

Huntington Die Specialties :: Cases :: RWS Cases :: 300 Win. Mag | RWS

Having owned several 7 STWs, and 7 RUMS plus several 300 Win mags and 300 RUMs I would choose the 300 win mag.

Brass is more available. Barrel life will be longer than the STW. The heavy Berger 215 and 230 have higher BCs. Sure the STW can shoot flatter with a light bullet. Wind drift and retained energy are what matters for long range hunting. The 180 launched from a 7 STW is pretty good but IMO the big 308 bullets are better. More recoil may an issue but it is still manageable with out a brake.

I linked the middle of the thread where the field results begin. Hard to argue with this kind of success.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index12.html

Right now you can get some great brass for the 300 win mag. STW brass? Have no idea where to find any.

Norma brass:

RWS brass:

You are wise Sir!

Norma brass:

RWS brass:

Midway USA has Nosler ammo, brass, and everything in stock for the STW...

You searched for: nosler 7mm stw - MidwayUSA

I tend to be a fan of the 7mm/300 win mag myself. I don't have one, but on paper, besides having to do a little more work reloading, is pretty nice. You get STW similar performance with the readily available 300 win mag brass. Just haven't gotten off my rear to build one.

Mudrunner,

I stand corrected my comment on not being able to find STW brass. I did a brief search guess I didn't look hard enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.