7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

A further note of caution. Jamming them into the lans will also increase the pressure dramatically vs letting off a bit with the same exact load.

Yes, velocity increases as well but when pushing seating depth to the max you really need to back off of your load a grain or two and then build back up slowly.

Guys,

I am looking for some input from some of you. I am in getting ready to develope a load for my sako stw. It has the detachable box. I am going to try and shoot 162gr Hornady SST I am going to load 5 rds of RL 25 in 78,79, & 80 5 rds of retumbo @ 82, 83,84 and 4 rds of H1000@ 81 gr. I just checked he lengths of my balls of the lands and I'm right at OAL of 3.72 My question is, Are my balls set to far out? I have seen from some others that they are around 3.5 to 3.675

thanks for you feedback in advance

Just a word of caution, These loads were hot in my 27" 7mm STW, 82grs Retumbo with 160 Accubonds and way too hot 84grs Retumbo with 162 A max's.
Work your way up carefully and once you've found your first signs of pressure back off by at least 2 grains and work from there down to find your most accurate load.

Regards Steve.

This thread is so impressive with loading the 7 stw, an incredible knowledge base. No other caliber is discussed in such depth, maybe the 338 edge I guess is close, but not in 1 spot like this. Congrats to safe hand loading to all.

Well brothers, I finally sold my Sako M995 TRG-S. I am sorry to see it go, but at the moment I can't afford 2 STW's.

The good news is that now I can concentrate on my new STW. It is a semi custom that I got from Redhawk Rifles and I am REALLY happy with it. They call it their Alaskan Ti clone. It is built on a stainless Rem 700 action with a stainless 26" Douglas premium barrel and a B&C medalist stock which has a full length bedding block and a nice soft decellerator pad. The barrel is a #4 contour and is fluted; The bolt body is spiral fluted and the bolt handle is skeletonized. After the machine work, it was blueprinted and cryogenically relieved. The rifle weighs 6.9 lbs bare. I wanted to keep it as light as possible, so I put a Leupold VXIII 4.5 X 14 X 40 CDS in Talley lightweight rings on it. Scoped, it weighs 8.2 lbs, which is a full pound less than my old rifle. Redhawk broke it in and provided a test target that measured .397 for 3 shots. Of course, I wanted to shoot it as soon as I got it, but didn't have time to work up any handloads, so as soon as I got the scope mounted I took 2 boxes of factory loads out to the range. I tried the Nosler 160 gr Accubond and 140 gr Remington Core Lok'd ammo which were all I had on hand. Once I sighted in, both factory loads shot "ragged one hole groups". Needless to say, I was astounded. Another nice surprise was the recoil - or lack thereof. I was a little concerned that it would be stiff due to the light weight of the rig, and I don't use a brake... but it feels about the same as a 30-06 to me. I can only guess this is due to the stock design. All my dealings with Redhawk have been top shelf, and I would highly recommend them to anyone here. I am looking forward to seeing how this rifle will shoot after some load development.

Well brothers, I finally sold my Sako M995 TRG-S. I am sorry to see it go, but at the moment I can't afford 2 STW's.

The good news is that now I can concentrate on my new STW. It is a semi custom that I got from Redhawk Rifles and I am REALLY happy with it. They call it their Alaskan Ti clone. It is built on a stainless Rem 700 action with a stainless 26" Douglas premium barrel and a B&C medalist stock which has a full length bedding block and a nice soft decellerator pad. The barrel is a #4 contour and is fluted; The bolt body is spiral fluted and the bolt handle is skeletonized. After the machine work, it was blueprinted and cryogenically relieved. The rifle weighs 6.9 lbs bare. I wanted to keep it as light as possible, so I put a Leupold VXIII 4.5 X 14 X 40 CDS in Talley lightweight rings on it. Scoped, it weighs 8.2 lbs, which is a full pound less than my old rifle. Redhawk broke it in and provided a test target that measured .397 for 3 shots. Of course, I wanted to shoot it as soon as I got it, but didn't have time to work up any handloads, so as soon as I got the scope mounted I took 2 boxes of factory loads out to the range. I tried the Nosler 160 gr Accubond and 140 gr Remington Core Lok'd ammo which were all I had on hand. Once I sighted in, both factory loads shot "ragged one hole groups". Needless to say, I was astounded. Another nice surprise was the recoil - or lack thereof. I was a little concerned that it would be stiff due to the light weight of the rig, and I don't use a brake... but it feels about the same as a 30-06 to me. I can only guess this is due to the stock design. All my dealings with Redhawk have been top shelf, and I would highly recommend them to anyone here. I am looking forward to seeing how this rifle will shoot after some load development.

Congrats,
Redhawk Rifles make a really nice rifle, especially their lightweight Alaskan Titanium clone model. What kind of trigger does it have on it?

I would absolutely love to own one of their their lightweight 7mm STW Alaskan Titanium clone models but they are a little out of my price range. I was lucky enought to obtain my two 7mm STW Senderos for about the same price as one of their rifles. The downside of my Senderos is they weight about 2 pounds more than your rifle.

It has the Remington ProX trigger and truth be told, that is the only regret I have with this rifle. Wish I had them put a Jewell on it, but I was over my budget already. The ProX is not bad. Redhawk said they adjusted it down to 3lbs and it is very crisp. I don't have a gauge to measure it but it feels heavier than that to me. On the other hand I can't argue with the way it shoots so I will wait a while on a new trigger.

This thread is so impressive with loading the 7 stw, an incredible knowledge base. No other caliber is discussed in such depth, maybe the 338 edge I guess is close, but not in 1 spot like this. Congrats to safe hand loading to all.

Ed, I totally agree. At the end of each day, I look forward to coming here to this thread, to either contribute, or to see how " my friends" are doing. In addition, most of us have developed a repoir which each other, and genuine friendships as well.
It's always interesting when new " brothers" participate, and share load info, and are also amazed at how many replies are here also. But, more important, it's a real testament as how many people love the STW, and also as to how versatile, and powerful, yet accurate. Pretty cool stuff! Also, some awesome people here too!

Congrats,
Redhawk Rifles make a really nice rifle, especially their lightweight Alaskan Titanium clone model. What kind of trigger does it have on it?

I would absolutely love to own one of their their lightweight 7mm STW Alaskan Titanium clone models but they are a little out of my price range. I was lucky enought to obtain my two 7mm STW Senderos for about the same price as one of their rifles. The downside of my Senderos is they weight about 2 pounds more than your rifle.

Gamehawker, I spoke with the owner a few weeks ago, and got a good feeling from him. I am just coming out of a custom build, with a Brux barrel, and Winchester action, that will wear a BC medalist stock, that I ended up getting from him, through my gunsmith. The point is, that he explained to me some of the things he does, as well as put out custom rifles as a whole. SO, I am already thinking of ANOTHER custom build, and I'm going to have him do it, or at least part of it. Also, I may do something similar to what you did to your rifles, to one or two of mine, and I would not hesitate to have him do it.
The rifle I just had built, although not in STW, is similar to the Lightweight Alaskan. The stock I used is the same, it has a #4 contour@ 26 inches. It is nearly done, and can't wait to bring it home.

It has the Remington ProX trigger and truth be told, that is the only regret I have with this rifle. Wish I had them put a Jewell on it, but I was over my budget already. The ProX is not bad. Redhawk said they adjusted it down to 3lbs and it is very crisp. I don't have a gauge to measure it but it feels heavier than that to me. On the other hand I can't argue with the way it shoots so I will wait a while on a new trigger.

I would agree and not argue the way that it shoots too! :D

My Senderos also had ProX triggers and I switched both of them with Jewell triggers. I had my gunsmith install them for me.

To save a little bit of money I ordered my triggers directly from them for $195 plus shipping.

Jewell Trigger, Inc.
3620 N State Highway 123
San Marcos, TX 78666-9786
512-353-2999

I just talked to them and they said that they are currently backed up and it will be 4 - 5 weeks but maybe sooner if they can make it.

Jewell has the triggers set at 1 pound (you can request a heavier weight though) from the factory and that is what mine are set at. No creep and real crisp. I really love them. :)

Bob, congrats on both accounts, one being selling the one that you have been trying to sell for a while now, and to the new RedHawk Rifle. I'm glad to hear of the accuracy, fit and finish, but I'm not surprised. Everything I hear, from anybody who has dealt with them has been positive. I'll bet you will have years of pleasure with your new toy! :D

I just picked up a lb of rl25 and I want to try it. I paid a lot though, 30 bucks? I have speer spire points 154, berger 140 and 168, and barnes original x, maybe some 140 accubonds too, any load ideas on these 4. My twist is 1-9. I have fed 215 primers on hand. I'm gonna check my manual in a few minutes. Actually, I probably should go and look up the powders website too.

I just picked up a lb of rl25 and I want to try it. I paid a lot though, 30 bucks? I have speer spire points 154, berger 140 and 168, and barnes original x, maybe some 140 accubonds too, any load ideas on these 4. My twist is 1-9. I have fed 215 primers on hand. I'm gonna check my manual in a few minutes. Actually, I probably should go and look up the powders website too.

Ed, I think you can try 80-81 grains with the 140 class bullets, 78-79 grains with the 154 grain, and I don't know what to tell you on the Barnes originals. Those things have a lot of bearing surface, and they don't react like lead core, or even the TSX, LRX, or TTSX bullets. I've been using 215 GM primers, but finding those things are like finding frog teeth!!:D. I've been shooting my " less hungry" rifles recently, due to the loading supply issue. I have a pretty good supply of the things I need for them.
I think I paid $27.00 bucks for the last RL25, and I just bought some H1000, which was about the same. I can not find H4350 anywhere! Enjoy! :)
PS, I think you will like the RL25. I get more velocity, less pressure, and lower ES, SD.

Ed, I think you can try 80-81 grains with the 140 class bullets, 78-79 grains with the 154 grain, and I don't know what to tell you on the Barnes originals. Those things have a lot of bearing surface, and they don't react like lead core, or even the TSX, LRX, or TTSX bullets. I've been using 215 GM primers, but finding those things are like finding frog teeth!!:D. I've been shooting my " less hungry" rifles recently, due to the loading supply issue. I have a pretty good supply of the things I need for them.
I think I paid $27.00 bucks for the last RL25, and I just bought some H1000, which was about the same. I can not find H4350 anywhere! Enjoy! :)
PS, I think you will like the RL25. I get more velocity, less pressure, and lower ES, SD.
I'll second my partner in crime on all of that

Well Christmas has come again at my place. Everything was delivered this week to finish putting my custom Sako STW together. Now if only the weather would turn around, so the road will melt out to get to our club.

Here's the run down,

Sako TRG-s m995 Action, Bolt and Trigger,
Kreiger 7mm SS #6 Contour 1-9 Barrel chamber in 7mm STW
JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley Brake
Whiskey 3 Chassis from Kinetic Research
Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm TMR Reticle M1 turrets.
Sko Optilock Quick release bases and rings.
Bipod is a Mystic Precision MPOD

Here it is, my Kitchen table isn't the best setting, but it will have to do for now.
IMG_2836_zps4093b9ae.jpg

IMG_2837_zpsa46ad897.jpg

IMG_2841_zpsc08e10f8.jpg

IMG_2853_zpsd16cf766.jpg

Can't wait to get this to the range!